Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour River  (Read 7065 times)

ali2pali

Seymour River
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:50:43 AM »

Does anyone fish the Seymour these days? I know they have a hatchery program so they must get fish back in the river, but it seems (after looking online) that it doesn't get fished much. Assuming water levels were decent does anyone fish there in July and August? ....or any other time for that matter. Thanks for the info.

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Seymour River
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 03:11:17 PM »

There is a small summer run of steelhead, coho in late august /sept also pinks (not this year). not popular but worth a trip later in sept after rain.

deepcovehooker

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 03:28:32 PM »

I volunteer at the hatchery.  All four salmon species are released by the hatchery and return in late August till October.  There is a small wild coho return as well as limited summer and winter steelhead runs. 

The best fishing is between the Deep Cove Rd and Mount Seymour Parkway bridges at the bottom.  Fishing can be good up at the top but a Municipal parking pass is required up at the end of Riverside Drive.

ali2pali

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:32:20 AM »

I volunteer at the hatchery.  All four salmon species are released by the hatchery and return in late August till October.  There is a small wild coho return as well as limited summer and winter steelhead runs.  

The best fishing is between the Deep Cove Rd and Mount Seymour Parkway bridges at the bottom.  Fishing can be good up at the top but a Municipal parking pass is required up at the end of Riverside Drive.

Thanks for the info (both of you) :)

I was reading thru the Hatchery website today and it was saying they have started to see some adult coho and steelhead returning. Would these fish be ones that have come up the river just recently and could possibly be fished for right now?

Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »

July is typically when you start seeing some coho and summer steelhead travelling up the Seymour River. Here is a video of a capturing and tagging session in mid July many years ago just below the Seymour Hatchery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHMB0n_QB-A

You can certainly fish for coho during this time of the year. It is not as heavily used as the Capilano River due to limited accesses to the river, which require longer walks etc. Note the opened/closed sections of the river, there is a bait ban in certain sections. All steelhead (both hatchery and wild) are required to be released. Daily quota of hatchery coho is one.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1011/fish-synopsis_2010-11_region2.pdf

Good luck.

ali2pali

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »

Thanks Rodney. You are a wealth of information :)

ali2pali

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 01:38:56 PM »

SEYMOUR RIVER 2-8 Closed all year above signs at Spur 7 (1.5 km below Seymour Dam)
Closed all year between signs 200 m above and 130 m below pipeline bridge (near Greater Vancouver Water District gate)
Trout/char release (including steelhead)
Fly fishing only, and bait ban from Spur 4 bridge to signs at Spur 7

The way I read this is that it's fly fishing only (for the open sections of the river) and there's a bait ban from spur 4 to 7. Does that seem like a correct interpretation, or is it fly fishing only between spur 4 and 7 (...people don't fly fish w/ bait do they?) , and any type of fishing elsewhere?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »

Fly fishing only means no bait among other restrictions... if you're questioning whether its flyfishing, then its probably not allowed in a flyfishing only section.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »

ali2pali was questioning why bait ban and flyfishing only are both needed to be included when flyfishing only already means no usage of bait. It is definitely confusing. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that flyfishing only only appliesto spur 4 and 7. Just to be totally sure, you can try phoning the Surrey office (604) 582-5200.

ali2pali

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 03:23:37 PM »

Yes, thank you Rodney for clarifying my question :) That was what I was asking. I'll try calling the office at the phone # you've listed.

Thaks again.