Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flossing: Legal versus Ethical  (Read 91917 times)

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Flossing: Legal versus Ethical
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 01:54:01 PM »

Oh bwi bwi ...now you have done it. How about catching and releasing wild steelhead, with your arguement all forms of this type of fishing would not be allowed as you would have to kill any steelhead that is caught. ???

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »

Only page 3 so far  ;D I bet some years this would have already been page 5 by now. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »

So, will I floss if the numbers are good and there is an opening for sockeye? Yes.

so what I dont understand about you Milo is you will not fish for the thompson steelhead because there are poor numbers returning...(even though its legal and its a catch and release fishery)..... but you will go floss your sockeye (when its open, and its a harvest fishery) , as I remember they closed the sockeye because the numbers were so low, even though they may open it due to a "surplus"  (as DFO puts it) .

..?????

so what side of the fence are you on?...LOL ;D

conservation?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »

so what I dont understand about you Milo is you will not fish for the thompson steelhead because there are poor numbers returning...(even though its legal and its a catch and release fishery)..... but you will go floss your sockeye (when its open, and its a harvest fishery) , as I remember they closed the sockeye because the numbers were so low, even though they may open it due to a "surplus"  (as DFO puts it) .

..?????

conservation?

The thread discussion is about whether you believe flossing is ethical and your reasons for believing what you do.......

I'm sure you can P.M. Milo and he'll be happy to answer your personal questions....   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »

soo the thread is about ethics RIGHT?
thats the question I asked!

bluesteele

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »

No matter how a fish is caught at day's end when you keep a fish that is meat fishery.

As for C&R that's torturing fish.

If it's pure sport you want try swimming, jugging, or a walk in the forest, something that does not involve hurting other creatures.

Just my 2c.

LOL... What's worse a torturer or murderer? LOL  Damn I was walking in the forest and stepped on a slug  :o broke a few tree branches as well LOL

Damn I am confused  ;D
Walking through the forest to get to a hole. Went for a swim in the hole..Jogged on the way back cause I think something wanted to eat me. LOL

Cuff me I am guilty of hurting creatures.

This is getting good !!!

Let er RIP ! hehehe

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »

LOL... What's worse a torturer or murderer? LOL  Damn I was walking in the forest and stepped on a slug  :o broke a few tree branches as well LOL

Damn I am confused  ;D
Walking through the forest to get to a hole. Went for a swim in the hole..Jogged on the way back cause I think something wanted to eat me. LOL

Cuff me I am guilty of hurting creatures.

This is getting good !!!

Let er RIP ! hehehe

Torture IS worth than death (especially if it's a swift death).

So really what is ethics?  It really doesn't matter.  Cause it's all dependent on who's view point you are coming from and on what issue.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »

..?????

conservation?

Isn't it clear?
If the numbers are not there to warrant a harvest, I won't fish for that species at all.
I prefer not to target fish that are C&R only anymore. (an honorable and rare exception might be FF for trout one day or two in a year at lakes such as Morgan).

Ethics don't have to be black or white.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »

If you are having trouble with C&R
Go Dry Fly fishing on any stream, but cut the hook off the fly.
I've had great times on the Bulkley, Babine, Chilliwack, Skagit, and a number of other streams doing this

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »

Bwi Bwi, science does not support your claim that fish are being "tortured".  Science supports the claim that fish react to aversive stimuli, that's all. 

For anyone feeling all mushy about putting a little hole in a fishes lip, I don't know how you sleep at night.  You must be wrought with guilt over all the harm you have done over your life to life on this planet with all your polluting.  If you've been driving for a decade, using plastics, whatever....do you know how much you've contributed to pain and suffering of animals?  It's easy not to acknowledge when you're not directly connected to it, i know... 

The other thing... I've caught a trout and released it, only to see it snapping mayflies off the surface not five minutes after it was released.  Next thing you know we'll have counselors walking the riverbanks looking for fish with post traumatic stress disorder. ::)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »

Isn't it clear?
If the numbers are not there to warrant a harvest, I won't fish for that species at all.
I prefer not to target fish that are C&R only anymore. (an honorable and rare exception might be FF for trout one day or two in a year at lakes such as Morgan).

there are no numbers of sockeye compared to historical numbers ! you believe its ok to fish them because some government official tells you so?

I do see greed when it comes to fishing, too much greed.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 03:17:02 PM »

Is GREY your colour of choice?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »

Bwi Bwi, science does not support your claim that fish are being "tortured".  Science supports the claim that fish react to aversive stimuli, that's all. 

For anyone feeling all mushy about putting a little hole in a fishes lip, I don't know how you sleep at night.  You must be wrought with guilt over all the harm you have done over your life to life on this planet with all your polluting.  If you've been driving for a decade, using plastics, whatever....do you know how much you've contributed to pain and suffering of animals?  It's easy not to acknowledge when you're not directly connected to it, i know... 

The other thing... I've caught a trout and released it, only to see it snapping mayflies off the surface not five minutes after it was released.  Next thing you know we'll have counselors walking the riverbanks looking for fish with post traumatic stress disorder. ::)

Not according to Dr Lynne Sneddon's research.  Fish does feel pain similar to higher level vertebrates.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »

Not according to Dr Lynne Sneddon's research.  Fish does feel pain similar to higher level vertebrates.

Yup, and emotions too :)  

Nothing has proven that fish feel pain similar to higher level vertebrates.  Nothing has proven that the experience for fish is the same for humans.  ALL that has been shown is that they display similar physiological responses!!!! That's IT!  The rest is inferred through anthropomorphizing, a common pitfall for behavioral scientists.  Look at the data for what it is, not what you want it to be.  

Jack Straw

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2010, 08:52:53 AM »

A couple of truths, plain & simple. One, there is no such thing as flossing, it is just a fancy word for 'intentional snagging'. Two, intentional snagging is illegal. Anytime you wake up in the morning & head to the river with the INTENT on foul hooking fish you are a snagger, it has nothing to do with ethics. Three, contrary to popular belief & greed of the snagging masses ther will NEVER be a surplus of these incredible salmon.

Be a responsible angler & do the right thing, it's long overdue that snagging of our beautiful 'long run' Spring salmon be put down. These great fish deserve better. We as anglers should try to lead the way & not be part of the problem.  ???
Please support your local wild steelhead