Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flossing: Legal versus Ethical  (Read 92056 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Flossing: Legal versus Ethical
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:50:22 AM »

It is often suggested that using flossing as a fishing technique on the Fraser is unethical yet from a legal point of view it is allowed.

The question is: If flossing on the Fraser is legal, what makes it unethical or ethical?

Please do not make the discussion personal. Keep it specific to the Fraser, keep it objective and give some reasons why you think the way you think. For purposes of this discussion let's assume that no one is right or wrong, we just want to know why you think the way you do about the topic.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Flossing: Legal versus Ethical
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

My opinion is that using flossing on the Fraser is ethical as long as you are catching the fish for food. On the other hand I believe using flossing as a catch and release sport fishing technique is unethical.

My rational is that natives use set nets, dip nets, spears etc to catch fish for food and ceremonial purposes and these techniques are not considered unethical. Commercial fishermen use drift nets to catch fish and this technique is not considered as being unethical. I see no difference when a licensed sport fisherman uses a legal technique such as flossing to put food on the table.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:49:54 PM »

--OK  I'll bite:  my view is based on the management objective for the stretch of water.  That is if their is a high % chance that none targeted fish will be caught and it is important to successfully release the non targeted species then the methods should be restricted.
--If as you say an area or time could be managed via quota for what in essence is an individual commercial fishery then I see no reason to restrict gear used.

--when the speed limit is 90.. I often follow the flow of traffic..say 100 however in a school zone I never exceed the speed limit no matter what pressure is being applied from the car behind me.

--So if there was an area designated in the regs as legal (not legal opinion but actually stated as OK in the regs) to floss I might give it a try in the designated area only.

--the reason I put the 90..100 reference is I believe some discreation can be applied to the so called legal definition of snagging or flossing...
--Catching a fish with a hook on the outside of the mouth is a good indicator of flossing but may not be the case. I believe in the willful take.. as spoon or spinner or fly "Moffit fly system" with short trailing barbless circle hook.
--I have been experimenting with circle hooks trailing spoons and spinners ( only a few inches back not a long line). The intent is the fish willfully takes the spinner, spoon or fly and the short trailing hook embeds in the outside of the jaw... thus alllowing for safer (no net  or tailing) required to release the fish.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:58:19 AM by skaha »

roeman

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »

Fraser River Sockeye, floss away, get your two fish and be done for the day.
We already know it is legal, the only ones that say it is unethical are the ones that have evolved to other types of fishing.
I was introduced to flossing by friends that now say it is unethical, can't change the rules just because it is not something you enjoy anymore.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:25:20 PM by roeman »
Are you fishin or catchin

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »

its funny i was reading field and stream and there was article about flossing and someone wrote in saying it was unethical etc and the person writing the article wrote back saying cause the fish is hooked the mouth and not in the throat or in the back of mouth its actually better for the fish, those flossing is better than lures and jigs. im just stating what i read so dont jump all over me lol

GFL108-12

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »

Fraser River Sockeye, floss away, get your two fish and be done for the day.
We already know it is legal, the only ones that say it is unethical are the ones that have evolved to other types of fishing.
I was introduced to flossing by friends that now say it is unethical, can't change the rules just because it is not something you enjoy anymore.

I agree floss away and go home

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »

We know flossing is a common fishing technique and we also know people that wouldn't floss under any circumstance. Rather than making covert comments in threads that have nothing to do with flossing here is an opportunity to give your reasons why it's either ethical or not ethical....

The question is;  Is flossing ethical or not ethical and why?

bluesteele

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »

OK I'll bite.  ;D
Thats your first clue. 

Flossing whether by gear or fly... ;D is unethical in my circle. But may be ethical in others.
It's very very simple in my mind.

I believe in enticing a fish to bite not running line through his mouth.

As far as I am concerned snaggers, flossers bottom bouncers(fraser style) are one and the same.

Don't tell me what a great fisherman you are and all the fish you caught. Because in my eyes you are not a fisherman.

A true fisherman has  skills that flossers are not even aware of.

Go to the Norrish and rip your croc through the backs of some chum. Go to the Fraser and floss your sox and bounce your betty
over some springs. Your not fisherman. Your a butcher a  Meathead. Not a fisherman. LOL

Sarcasm aside  ;D I believe most Fraser Flossers are just plain ignorant. Not Unethical just ignorant.

Bluesteele

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »

OK I'll bite.  ;D
Thats your first clue. 

Flossing whether by gear or fly... ;D is unethical in my circle. But may be ethical in others.
It's very very simple in my mind.

I believe in enticing a fish to bite not running line through his mouth.

As far as I am concerned snaggers, flossers bottom bouncers(fraser style) are one and the same.

Don't tell me what a great fisherman you are and all the fish you caught. Because in my eyes you are not a fisherman.

A true fisherman has  skills that flossers are not even aware of.

Go to the Norrish and rip your croc through the backs of some chum. Go to the Fraser and floss your sox and bounce your betty
over some springs. Your not fisherman. Your a butcher a  Meathead. Not a fisherman. LOL

Sarcasm aside  ;D I believe most Fraser Flossers are just plain ignorant. Not Unethical just ignorant.

Bluesteele

There, now doesn't that feel good to get that off your chest?  ;D  ;D

I would guess that you would put natives and commercial fishermen in the same category then?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:56:06 AM »

really, again?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:05:11 AM »

really, again?

It's that time of the year again. This time we are going to get to the bottom of it and settle it once and for all!!  ;D ;D

bluesteele

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »

There, now doesn't that feel good to get that off your chest?  ;D  ;D

I would guess that you would put natives and commercial fishermen in the same category then?

Actually puts the flossers in the same category  ;D LOL

Let er rip!  ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »

Actually puts the flossers in the same category  ;D LOL

Let er rip!  ;D

Why wouldn't you answer the question? I'm not sure what you mean by "Let er rip!"  ???

It's clear that you consider flossing unethical. I don't have a problem with that. Do you think the techniques that natives and commercial fishermen use are unethical?

It's just a yes/ no question....

bluesteele

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 08:20:39 PM »

Thought this topic was about sportfishing  :P

With that said...and ethics aside. I believe their are a higher percentage of illegal fishing activites committed by natives than commies or sport.

Thats what I think. Nothing like the Natives floating by outside of an opening right by the flossers.. Yeah baby..LOL  GONG SHOW  :D :D :D

Just calling them how I see them. Nothing more nothing less.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »

Why wouldn't you answer the question? I'm not sure what you mean by "Let er rip!"  ???

It's clear that you consider flossing unethical. I don't have a problem with that. Do you think the techniques that natives and commercial fishermen use are unethical?

It's just a yes/ no question....
Go back to the HST thread,  ;DI just posted some info for you that I said I would.