Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crappies ???  (Read 3325 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Crappies ???
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »

I need help , I want to catch crappies at Whonnock Lake . How long of leader do I use and what is best for bait ? I have been to Whonnock lake and fished off of the dock and caught nothing . Do I fish just off of the lily pads ? I will probably try this weekend .

FishOn36

Re: Crappies ???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »

Worms will work, I also caught em in there on crappie jigs (seen here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/275257144_399c99d42f.jpg) with a slip float. If you're strictly fishing off the dock, I would try by the Lilly pads for starters, but it seems like they're all over that lake. As for leader length, 14" or so should be more then enough.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:52:18 PM by FishOn36 »

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »

When using a crappy jig are you using it under a float ? As you say worms work ,what depth would you go ,are they near the bottom or closer to the surface ?

FishOn36

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »

When using a crappy jig are you using it under a float ? As you say worms work ,what depth would you go ,are they near the bottom or closer to the surface ?

I was using the jig under a float, about 5-6 feet deep off that dock that's near the middle of the lake, which even there is really shallow like 10 feet give or take. You want to make sure to twitch the jig a bit if you're not getting any hits, just to give the jig a bit of action. They were also hitting royal coachmans on the surface with a slow retrieve. I'd play around with the depths, try near the bottom first and change it up if it's not producing.

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 11:28:04 PM »

worms will work but shrimp will kill just my opinion it out fished the worms when my dad used them if fly fishing try the tom thumb
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:29:47 PM by fly fisher »
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »

-- lipripperz or other mini jigs similar to ice fishing jigs

-- I use 1/16 to 1/48 oz jigheads in small mini tubes like compleat angler tiny tim.. many other brands available.
--Also might want to apply a scent to the tube

--can rig mini tubes with small split shot or bead instead of a jig head with trailing hook like a hoochie.
--sensitive rod, float or strike indicator would work on spin gear as light a possible.

--If using heavier gear then go to bobber with light leader and bait or mini jig with scent, bobber will be your strike indicator thus compensating for the heavier rod.

--up to you but I alway use barbless hooks.. easy on me and the fish when caught.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:34:59 AM by skaha »

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:51:51 PM »

Is there any special choice of color the crappies perfer and why such a short leader ?

FishOn36

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »

Is there any special choice of color the crappies perfer and why such a short leader ?

Pretty well any color jig will work, best ones for me are chartreuse or yellow.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »

big fat sparkly purple wooly bugger.  They cant-a resist-a!

I think they were called crappie by the first guy who caught them and wanted to keep them all to himself... their real name should be "Tasties"