Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ufc 116 Lesnar-Carwin.  (Read 4431 times)

wizard

ufc 116 Lesnar-Carwin.
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

Ok, I think it's time for a new ufc thread seeing how this weekend's fight is the most aniticipated fight since ufc 100.  Overall a solid card but it's all about the main event with heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar facing interim champ Shane Carwin. here's the rest of the card.  who do you like?
I got,,,
heavyewights Lesnar over Carwin via TKO ref stoppage.  What an interesting match-up, anything could happen but I think Lesnar will be too much for Carwin.  watch for Lesnar to finish in the ground n pound.
welterweight Chris Leben vs Yoshihiro Akiyama Akiyama via decision
Matt Brown over Chris Lytle
Stephan Bonnar over Kryszstof Soszynski
Brendan Schaub over Chris Tuchscherer
Ricardo Romero over Seth Petruzelli
Kurt Pelligrino Over Goerge Sotiropoulis close 3 round decision

The main event makes this PPV worth ordering.
btw, did anyone see Fedor tap to an armbar from Werdum?  there's no way Lesnar would've got armbar'd....

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: ufc 116 Lesnar-Carwin.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »

cant wait for this card

Carwin is huuuuuuuuuuugely overrated. who has he beat thats good? Mir isnt a top HW, Gonzaga was smashing him before he got caught, and wobbled carwin pretty easily.

lesnar by murder...rd2

akiyama will easily pick apart leben and cruise to a dec.

chris lytle will win dec in fight of the night

soszynksi will beat bonnar by dec.

tuchscherer over schaub.

george sotiropoulis via submission(his jits is amazing)

Watched the strike force card...fedor rocked him and made the stupidest mistake ive ever seen him make...oh well perfection is unobtainable in mma...Fedor is still the best ever. too bad we will never see him in the ufc...
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

wizard

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »

what a great night of fights!  one of the best ufc events ever imo.

Lesnar is undisputed #1 heavyweight in the world, now.
for people who didn't get to see this fight, you missed out! Carwin had Lesnar in a whole heap of trouble in the first round. Carwin laying some big shots from his feet dropping Brock, Carwin continued some heavy ground and pound but as the round wore on, Carwin was starting to look tired.  Lesnar looked like he was finished, bleeding from both sides of his face lesnar withstood heavy punishment and made it to rd 2.  Round 2 sees Brock's wrestling skills make a difference, he easily takes Carwin down, actually moves to a head and arm triangle choke from the top.  Carwin had no defence for this, and Brock's power gave Carwin no choice but to either tapout or go to sleep.
Not a single boring fight on the card.
Chris Leben impressed me the most last night, he looked great, Akiyama had nothing for him, and Leben actually finished Akiyama in a triangle choke in rd3!  Watch out for Chris Leben in the middleweight division.  Stephan Bonnar outwilled Kryzstoff in a entertaining fight. I beleive Bonnar Kryzstoff shared fight of the night with Leben Akiyama, Lesnar got sub of the night and Gerald Harris had KO of the night.
overal this ppv delivered, mma fans definitely got their money's worth with this one!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »

what a great night of fights!  one of the best ufc events ever imo.

Lesnar is undisputed #1 heavyweight in the world, now.
for people who didn't get to see this fight, you missed out! Carwin had Lesnar in a whole heap of trouble in the first round. Carwin laying some big shots from his feet dropping Brock, Carwin continued some heavy ground and pound but as the round wore on, Carwin was starting to look tired.  Lesnar looked like he was finished, bleeding from both sides of his face lesnar withstood heavy punishment and made it to rd 2.  Round 2 sees Brock's wrestling skills make a difference, he easily takes Carwin down, actually moves to a head and arm triangle choke from the top.  Carwin had no defence for this, and Brock's power gave Carwin no choice but to either tapout or go to sleep.
Not a single boring fight on the card.
Chris Leben impressed me the most last night, he looked great, Akiyama had nothing for him, and Leben actually finished Akiyama in a triangle choke in rd3!  Watch out for Chris Leben in the middleweight division.  Stephan Bonnar outwilled Kryzstoff in a entertaining fight. I beleive Bonnar Kryzstoff shared fight of the night with Leben Akiyama, Lesnar got sub of the night and Gerald Harris had KO of the night.
overal this ppv delivered, mma fans definitely got their money's worth with this one!

carwin should train some cardio...

Lesnar needs some more fights against better competition before I would call him #1 in the world.

Akiyama won the first and second round...leben looked good and had to finish him in the third and did.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

wizard

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:59:20 PM »

I just don't know how you could not have Lesnar ranked #1 right now.
I guess one could've made the case for Fedor BEFORE he lost in the first round to Werdum.  And before Lesnar choked out the ufc number 1 contender last night, but now Lesnar has to be undisputed.

Fedor's been facing lesser opponents for some time now, you can't deny that...his camp seems to be choosy about who he fights, and now that he's lost they'll be even more picky.  He might be capable of being #1, but the quality of his last 6 to 8 opponents have been less then impressive. Until he fights someone like Overeem and beats him, he shouldn't be discussed as best in the world.

rankings in a non statistical sport is highly subjective, however Lesnar is two time defending UFC champion.  He wears the highest regarded heavyweight title, until it's around someone else's waist he'll remain ranked number #1. 

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:40:29 PM »

personally i think cain and JDS are much better and more well rounded than carwin...plus they actually have cardio. Cain has excellent wrestling and good standup, plus a huge gas tank...he should be able to take lesnar

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »

Ranked number 1 or ranked number 1 in his class? If your talking overall than he is not even close. Number 1 in his class I would agree with you. His wrestling skills are probably more superior than anyones. Once he gets you down your pretty much done. He has also shown he can take the pain.

I am most shocked about Leben. I thought he was done about 4 fights ago now he is a new man. Must have stopped partying and taken his work more seriously. Watch out for him!!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

wizard

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »

I'm saying Brock is undisputed #1 Heavyweight right now, Not overall between all weight classes.
Yes, Velasquez poses a new set of challenges for Lesnar, but unless Brock has a lousy training camp, I can't see Cain winning that fight. Cain is going to be giving up nearly 50 lbs come fight night as he's said he will stay around 140'ish...brock is superiour wrestler, Cain would have a hell of a time getting Lesnar off top of him.  Don't forget Brock's training regime now is better then it ever has with emphasis on diet and nutrition which he never had before. 
People might scoff, but down the road I think Roy Nelson will be in the title mix...Nelson has a fair chance of beating Dos Santos if he can keep junior on his back and use the crucifix, also Roy has knockout power in his right hand...it's going to be a better fight then most people think.

wizard

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 04:45:20 PM »

typo* cain plans on staying around 240 for Lesnar.