Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey advice needed!  (Read 9582 times)

zymoetz77

Spey advice needed!
« on: June 17, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »

Looking to get set-up with an inexpensive spey rig.  Mainly for fishing the Skeena and tribs for salmon (coho, chinook, socks, steelies).  Have picked up a 9 wt 14'3 Amundson Wind Warrior for a rod.  Now I am wondering if I need to purchase a separate reel or if I can use the 7/8 Redington CDL off my single-hander as a spey reel??  Or do I need to purchase a completely different reel?  Any advice on the best type of line set-up for this type of fishing?

Thanks!

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
Re: Spey advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »

You will need a Large arbour reel that can hold LOTs of backing and the thick spey line. Your single hander will not do.

A good starter in a Trion 1912 reel with a nice drag or a Amundson reel to match the rod. Can find used for around $100 -$150.

This will get you fishing and really see if its for you before the full addiction sets in :)

*** Buy Fisherforevers and get a reel/new rod/line/backing and flies for $400...good deal) ***
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »

The Pflueger trion would be a good reel to put on the rod that you have. However, if you already have the rod, then all you need is the reel and the spey line. The shop where you bought the rod from should be able to tell you the grain weight that should  work on the Amundsen rod. I would then get the reel of your choice, corresponding skagit line plus tips and you should be up and running.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:16:20 PM by dennyman »

zymoetz77

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:58:07 AM »

thanks for the replies and advice.  Fisherforever- wish I had seen your deal on the package before I ordered the rod......ah well.  I'll take a look at the Pflueger Trion.  Line advice -  thinking of Rio Skagit - what weight should I get?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:50:35 AM »

The rod manufacturer should be able to tell you the grain weights that work well for your rod, or the shop that sold you the rod. However, if you are new to spey casting I imagine anything from 600 to 650 grains, should give you enough mass to turn over heavy sink tips and weighted flies.  And allow you to toss the line out there a long ways.  ;D

cohojoe

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:32:32 PM »

some of the shops have spey classes.   something to think about.   no sense getting all geared up ;  then find out your line does not cast properly because it does not match.   The professionals are good at matching up the line with the rod types.  just my two bits.  I have never spey fished or cast before but I can only imagine how good it would be on the big rivers.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »

bit of info on your rod straight from the Amundson site itself

WWS4-1439F Spey Rod
For serious fishing offshore. The 14 foot length is comfortable handling longer shooting heads, 39 to 41 feet and heavier heads have greater turnover power at distance, to straighten leaders with larger flies. The WWS4-1439 all around steelhead and salmon rod will throw both floating and sinking tip lines.Casts well with 8/9/10 lines.

So after reading that i would say the 600-650 grain window is bang on for that rod. You could always contact someone at Amundson to ask directly.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:23:09 AM »

OH and if i were to go with a line i would look at the Airflo lines. they arent as bulky as the Rio lines which help them to cast a tad farther. I use an Airflo compact on my switch rod and it can reach the other side of the river no problem (usually)  ;D

I had a Rio Skagit on my 9140 and it cast well but never wanted to carry a tight loop to reach farther distances.

also it better to go with a shooting head and running line combo with the short headed lines because the running line shoots further and smoother. You can go cheap with Slickshooter ($10) or with the good stuff in the $50 range and yes it makes a difference i think
Check out our new blog

Pat AV

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 04:02:15 PM »

I also like JW young and sons reels for cheap but good spey work. Nothing fancy, just a good loud click.

Airflow 660 or 630 compact skagit head for that stick would work good. Some shops have full kits of airflow skagit heads that you can take out and test cast a few.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

maverick

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »

I would avoid the skagit line if you are new to spey fishing. The fun of spey fishing is learning the casts and while you can use a skagit head for any cast it will require alot of stripping to get the weight of the line back to the rod so you can load it in the water to complete a cast. Whenever I use one of my skagit heads I always feel like I am doing a bastardized fly-spey cast because of all the stripping. I use a shooting head if I want to fish a longer cast for the day.

I think you would be better suited to start off with a multi tip WF spey line. Air Flow and Scientific Angler both make a decent line. With practice you will be casting 50 to 60 feet of line without any stripping. Plus with the three tips you can pave the bottom with your fast tip or swing  just below the surface with your clear or wake dries on top with your floating tip.

Good Luck and have fun learning the casts keep that anchor in the water or your going to need to wear a helmet

btree

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »

What sort of flies are you planning on chucking?

If you are tossing massive bunny leeches with lead eyes, then I'd go skagit all the way.   That being said, I do not prefer the skagit system.  It's highly functional, but I dislike casting it.  I prefer skandi lines for all round function or a shortish belly spey line ~60ft.  I also try not to use too many massive flies unless in murky/low vis conditions.

If you just want to get out and catch fish, go skagit.  If you want to learn the basics of casting then get a short belly (~55-60ft) WF spey line.  Also, unless you go skagit, do not try to cast weighted tips until you are comfortable with casting just a dry line.  Trust me, weighted tips are a totally different deal and you'll need to hone your casting skills first.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 02:03:29 PM »

And it depends on your time commitment. If all you want to do is to be able to throw fishable casts within a few hours, then go the skagit route. However, if you are willing to put in the practice, learn using a short belly spey line first, and then after you are competent with that form, move on to the skagit way of casting.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 02:05:45 PM »

What sort of flies are you planning on chucking?

If you are tossing massive bunny leeches with lead eyes, then I'd go skagit all the way.   That being said, I do not prefer the skagit system.  It's highly functional, but I dislike casting it.  I prefer skandi lines for all round function or a shortish belly spey line ~60ft.  I also try not to use too many massive flies unless in murky/low vis conditions.

If you just want to get out and catch fish, go skagit.  If you want to learn the basics of casting then get a short belly (~55-60ft) WF spey line.  Also, unless you go skagit, do not try to cast weighted tips until you are comfortable with casting just a dry line.  Trust me, weighted tips are a totally different deal and you'll need to hone your casting skills first.

Great post and even better avatar.

speyghillie

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »

Hi zymoetz77 ,
Plenty great advise from all the guys, i will be doing a couple of Speycasting classes while i am back over in BC, one in the Okanagan and one at Cultus Lake resort,  if you would like to join in one of the classes  or anymore info please let me know ( Speycasting Instruction is what i do for a living) or if i can help in anyway while i am there please let me know.
Cheers
Gordon Macleod
Scott Mackenzie DTX Pro Staff
speycaster1@hotmail.co.uk

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 01:54:40 AM »

I'd love to come by for a few FREE pointers Gordon  ;) not sure if you remember me but i ran into you and a coupke of your buddes a couple years back on the Vedder.

Im mostly only having trouble with the Cackhanded cast  >:( however it was working fairly nice for me on the Blank river the other day but i was fishing a dry line at the time LOL
Check out our new blog