Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake Lucille/Stump Lake  (Read 21506 times)

jimmywits

Lake Lucille/Stump Lake
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »

Was thinking of fishing Lake Lucille near Daisy lake in Garibaldi area and also Stump Lake in the Alice lake chain soon and I was hoping someone from the forum has fished there recently. Any help would be appreciated.

rides bike to work

Re: Lake Lucille/Stump Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »

I fished stump over the weekend lots of fish jumping but all I had was a wedding band a the fish werent taking but theyre definatley in there

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:50:20 PM »

I fished stump over the weekend lots of fish jumping but all I had was a wedding band a the fish werent taking but theyre definatley in there
Thanks for the info, that's good news because stump lake has not been stocked this year, so if there is lots of jumpers in there, there might be some sizable fish . I have fished stump since the 80's and whenever they were rising I always did very well using  chironomids on the surface.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:58:16 AM »

I fished there years ago using a black ant fly pattern with huge success . I didn't have a float tube back then , all I had was a small spin caster . I used a little clear torpedo float with 3lb test 4' leader , a small split shot to get a little distance and tied a black ant fly . What a blast .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »

I use to fish Lucille about 10 years ago that lake at the time was loaded brookies and the fishing in Sept,Oct was amazing.Was wondering the same thing?

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »

I fished there years ago using a black ant fly pattern with huge success . I didn't have a float tube back then , all I had was a small spin caster . I used a little clear torpedo float with 3lb test 4' leader , a small split shot to get a little distance and tied a black ant fly . What a blast .

I can report the same experience at Stump.

I use to fish Lucille about 10 years ago that lake at the time was loaded brookies and the fishing in Sept,Oct was amazing.

Are the Brookies still there in numbers?   I have been there in the summer swimming and not observed much sign of fish.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »

Geez 2 of my favorite lakes I haven't fished in years.

RE: Lucille: never have caught a brook trout there only rainbows.  My best day came from taking caddis flies out of there shell and stringing them on a little hook.  The lakeshore is full of tadpoles in the summer.  Also the far sandy beach is great for swimming.  Take a look on the side of the trails and dirt roads and you might find some wild strawberries.

RE: Stump: had some very nice memorable days there trolling leaches and dragonfly nymphs near the bottom during the day and dry flies in the evening.  It is not heavily fished, and also has pumpkinseed.  Don't launch a tube or boat at the main entrance because there are some big logs you will have to navigate over.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 02:27:01 AM »

I fished it in Oct all the brook trout were at the far end where the small inflow creek is.Damn i wish i had a camera back then.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »

I fished it in Oct all the brook trout were at the far end where the small inflow creek is.Damn i wish i had a camera back then.

Well now you got me curious whether there may still be some or not...hmmm.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:23:04 AM »

Geeze im getting old:(That last time i fished it was back in 1990 so that would be over 20 years ago.I fished the small bay at the far end,use to be a circle of bull rushes and all the fish were packed into it.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »

Funny I caught most of the bows in the bay on the close end and also by an Island closer to the far side but never had any luck in the bay you caught the Brookies in on the far end.   I'm guessing it was somewhere between 1994-1996 when I fished it and had success.

I have been there multiple times since then but not for fishing just for some R&R on the far beach and dirtbiking some of the trails around there.  Will have to bring a worm and bobber next time and see what happens.

jimmywits

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »

Years ago there was a Lodge on Lake Lucille, it was built by a guy called "Shorty "Knight.  BC Hydro had it deliberatly burnt down I believe in 1958.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »

No permanent structures allowed up there anymore because there is a large lava "wall" holding Garibaldi Lake in place and if it fails there will be great doom :o

But then again wouldn't anything along the Cheakamus/Squamish rivers be hooped if there was large flood of debris???...hmmm

I remember the signs up by the lake saying you are not even supposed to stop in the danger zone so technically shouldn't be fishing the lake.

No camping there either and used to have RCMP and BC Hydro come at night and boot us out. 

jimmywits

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »

No permanent structures allowed up there anymore because there is a large lava "wall" holding Garibaldi Lake in place and if it fails there will be great doom :o

But then again wouldn't anything along the Cheakamus/Squamish rivers be hooped if there was large flood of debris???...hmmm

I remember the signs up by the lake saying you are not even supposed to stop in the danger zone so technically shouldn't be fishing the lake.

No camping there either and used to have RCMP and BC Hydro come at night and boot us out. 
The Lava wall is called the Barrier and yes if it gave away there would be extensive flooding all the way down the cheackamus canyon. The signs indicate that you are in a civil defense zone which is a high risk slide area. People who access the area do so at their own risk. If they were really that concerned about it would they have held the Olympics where they did, only to have all the worlds Leaders, Dignitaries, Athletes, Media and the public drive right through said high risk zone. Save for the last 3 seasons, I fished Lake Lucille all the time as I lived in Horseshoe Bay for 30 years. It's one of those acceptable risks for me, it could cave tomorrow or a million years from now and so could allot of other slide areas we all access all the time.

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »

Try small red leeches for the Brook trout in Lucille  ;) can't remember ever catching anything other than Brook trout in there??

Pay Parking regs at Stump (Alice lake Park) is in effect.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.