Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Costco  (Read 18885 times)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Costco
« on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »

Was at Costco today and guess what they had pontoon boats for sale its a 9 1/2 foot toon with motor bracket plastic seat stripping apron and 2 storage bags.
All for the glorious price of $289.99. Its made by Wilderness or something along those lines, any ways Ill be heading out to Burnaby again tomorrow to pick one up at that price.
Take the T out of Morton.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Costco
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:55:45 PM »

the last costco pontoon i bought fell apart on the water....and i was drifting the vedder in june in full out freshet...almost died a couple of times because of oar lock breaking and coming out constantly.....stay away buy something better like an outcast.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

one more cast

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »

the last costco pontoon i bought fell apart on the water....and i was drifting the vedder in june in full out freshet...almost died a couple of times because of oar lock breaking and coming out constantly.....stay away buy something better like an outcast.

Good advise. You could be in serious trouble if an oar lock breaks.

Nutterbug

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »

Did you report it to the CSA or whatever agency's in charge of consumer safety?

The "get what you pay for" argument isn't acceptable when safety is compromised.

cohojoe

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »

ask the costco management about returns on any boat you purchase.   Just in case they say " excessive force was used on the boat '  and we will not give you a refund.     Anyway a refund is no consolation for a ruined fishing trip.    You would be forced to borrow one .

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »

Ok guys just so you I didnt purchase the pontoon you guys were talking about because I did read up on the oarlock problem, hence no buy, but this boat is a different manufacturer so Ill research it first couldnt get out today. As for returns at costco I think they have the best customer service around, even if you lose your receipt, as long as you have your card no problem.
Take the T out of Morton.

kid fisherman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »

X2 on the costumer service. had a boat once that had problems and they took it back without any hassle.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 08:42:03 AM »

Just remember - these days you get what you pay for.  Unless they (Costco) happen to have acquired some old good quality merchandise that a company wanted to unload, Costco (like Walmart) is always looking out for the best possible margin.

First thing to check - where was it made?
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

doja

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »

X2 on the costumer service. had a boat once that had problems and they took it back without any hassle.

Good boats don't have problems.... just say'n.

Costco is not that known for good boats. Their kayaks are known for being "bad buys" as for the price you'll get better new else wears for same price.... Even a used old kayak is better then their pelican stuff and their cheaper to buy!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:24:14 AM by doja »

Spooner

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:13 AM »

I'd have to agree with the return policy #1 in my books, but they shouldn't be compromising safety for price.
 just my 2 cents 

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »

go to the new Wholesale sports and check out the Outcast/Fishcat pontoons(saw they sell them in their catalogue). they are great !! I own one and have it pretty pimped out so far and i have had no issues with it at all. I have the steel frame so its fairly heavy though but cheaper.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

doja

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 06:08:47 PM »

Pontoon boat from big box store - $300 dollars

Pontoon boat from local "real fishing store" - probably a little more than $300

Pontoon boat + advice from local "real fishing store" on where to use said pontoon boat that's fishing HOT!!! - $$$ priceless $$$

I spend my money at well informed local fishing stores because I get allot more than just "material" goods. ;)

And if you create a relationship with your local fishing store by spending money there you should (dependent on the shop) get allot more back in info and possibly deals down the road.... It pays to be loyal to your local shop!!!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »

Which is why i shop at M&Y in surrey.I normally get a discount when im in there, especially if im spending more then $50 which i do at least once a week LOL It sure is nice when you call the shop ahead of going there to make sure they have what you are after and when they pick up know who you are  ;D

I do however look for deals on large purchase items. By big purchase i mean things that are a few hundred dollars or more.

HOOK - will be for sure checking out this new store but will still be going to M&Y because it is just closer  ;D and i usually spend alot of time chatting in there.

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 07:31:47 AM »

--outcast is a very good company to deal with..I'm sure that a local dealer can put the squeeze on outcast to give them a comparative price on their products thus pass that along to you.
--The way the dollar is hopping around drives a store nuts.. its what the dollar is when they payed for the stuff that counts not what it is on the day we buy it retail. 

kokanee_killer

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 04:12:49 PM »

The pontoon boats at Costco are as good as any. They have the motor mounts and the oars are as good as the outcast ones. They just started selling them here in Canada but the same ones have been sold in the states for a few months now and they're excellent value. I doubt the bottom material is of good a quality as say an outcast but then don't drag them across rocks and stuff. For the price, you can't beat them. I can't see how anyone can break the oar locks on these unless your really abusing it and i'm sure any of the outcast models wouldn't take that abuse either. If you're someone who looks after there stuff and and go out a few times a year, I'd say they are definetly worth the money.