Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LOST: Sage fly rod while fishing at Horse Lake  (Read 8032 times)

cohojoe

LOST: Sage fly rod while fishing at Horse Lake
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »

My buddy lost her near new Sage Fly rod at Horse Lake last June  2009.   I appreciate a phone call if you found it.   We can identify everything about it .    It should working its way towards shore since it was only about  25 yards out,  and the wind almost always blows in towards the shore.     It was in about 15 feet of water.
thanks  Jeff  778 772 8348
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:33:36 PM by DionJL »

MrWiseDood

Re: LOST: Sage fly rod while fishing at Horse Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »

sorry this a stupid quesiton but,
how can you lose a fishing fod while fishing?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »

Fish hits and pulls it out of the rod holder. Rod bounces out of the rod holder in large waves.  Rod accidentally gets dropped as you're landing a fish. All three of those have happened to me. But I've always grabbed the rod before it sank.

MrWiseDood

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »

Well, if it sank into the bottom of a lake,
what are your chances of getting it back?

cohojoe

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »

my buddy hired a police diver who you would think is really good at finding things underwater.
No dice.   He even had a sweeper to try and touch it.   It was not there and we hope it will work its way toward shore because the fly line floats and keeps the rod tip up.   Also the air in the rod blank will keep the tip section up.   Try it sometime ( where you can safely retrieve your rod )  and you will see the rod rise up but the butt with the reel is heavy and stays down.   The rod with line does not lay down on the bottom.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »

Well, if it sank into the bottom of a lake,
what are your chances of getting it back?
Last year while lake fishing I saw a nice fish pull the rod out of an angler's boat. The fish was jumping and the fellow was trying to net it so he could get the fish and his pole back but the fish stopped jumping after a while. We trying casting to try and hook the line but had no luck. Later that day I saw the angler and he said he went back to his camp, took the grill off his camp stove, attached it to a rod and did finally hook onto the line getting everything back including the rainbow. Went back to camp put the grill back on the stove and cooked up the fish.

No this was not a fish story. ;D ;D

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:14 AM »

Years ago I had a friend that lost a rod at Corbet Lake in the fall and it was CAUGHT on a sinking line (by a guest at the lodge) the following spring.
It needed new cork and a bit of a servicing; cost was almost worth the story he had to tell.
So keep hoping.
Just another reason to have your name and/or ph# on your rod (particularily if it is has value).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:15:04 AM by Fish or cut bait. »

cohojoe

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:54:46 AM »

ok  maybe I will go back and troll and jig the lake .    It is worth the few hours.  thanks

Fishboy

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »

Strange things do happen. When I was a guide at a freshwater lake near Kingston, Ontario a kid I had in my boat knocked my bass rod out of the boat. Down it went in 17 feet of water. I tried dragging a rake over it later that day to no avail. Next day I have a different couple in the boat - guy on his honeymoon. He says he is quite the scuba diver....and loves to swim. So I take him back to the same spot and after three dives he comes up with my rod!! Needless to say his new wife was very impressed (not as impressed as me) and I'm sure they had a great night :o. I still use that rod to this day (more than 15 years later) and often think of that story. :D

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »

Never again shall I fish without a rod holder. Harmon Lake two years ago, I was rowing around slowly when the rod when flying out of the boat. I had a second rod which I used to try and catch the line, got it once but lost it again. Now it's getting dark, so I rowed back to the campsite all pissed off. Next morning I rowed to the other side of the lake and made a small drag out of a piece of steel , let out about 100 feet of line and started to row across the lake. Just as i got to the other side , my line came tight and i started to reel in, a shiny metal piece of something appeared { my reel }and then the cork handle of my rod popped out of the water, which i grabbed instantly. I untangled the mess and started to reel in my original line from the night before. I'll be dammed, the fish was still there, got it to the boat and it was IMO at least a  6 lb Rainbow, fish took one last run and snap , that was it .......GONE!!!! Just as well though, I didn't deserve that fish anyway for being lazy with the boat set-up { no rod holder etc.} True Story I swear to God!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:20:30 PM by Bently »