Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing the Cap  (Read 4424 times)

shizz

• Tackletester.com - Fishing Tackle Review Blog
Fishing the Cap
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »

After a bit over a week in town, I'm already itching to get out for fish(just moved from Australia). I went down to Pacific Angler today and they suggested try the Capilano river. Problem is I will be traveling by foot/bus so I'm very limited.

I was thinking of getting off at the Cap Salmon Hatchery bus stop and walking in from there. Any tips/suggestions? I Iread Rods article but Im not sure if im out of my depth going by public transport!

I brought a few spoons as I will be spinning. Most likely be late afternoon into the evening and then bussing it back to downtown after that! Should be interesting!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fishing the Cap
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »

From the Capilano Salmon Hatchery, you have many options by hiking along the Chinook Trail. Your first couple of trips will most likely be scouting trips, to figure out where the key spots are. One should be very cautious on where you hike down as the terrain has resulted in falls and drownings in the past. It is best that you find spots where landing a fish can be done safely. Avoid fishing from rocks that are high above the river, ie. cliffs.

The next two months should see coho salmon improving. Although the best time for them is early in the morning, you can do just as well late in the afternoon until dusk at times. Throwing spoons for them is a very good option. Watch for fish that follow your spoon as you retrieve it.

This time of the year you are likely to intercept the odd steelhead, which are coloured and ready to spawn. All steelhead are required to be released.

shizz

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:41:41 AM »

Is the annual freshwater license(about $80CAD) sufficient to fish this location? I heard something about "stamps" ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »

The annual basic freshwater fishing licence allows you to fish in lakes and rivers when they are open.

If you fish for salmon and want to keep one when you catch it, then you also need to purchase the "non-tidal salmon conservation surcharge" on your licence. This is a one time fee for the year. If you only intend to catch and release salmon, then you do not need to purchase the surcharge.

For steelhead, it is a bit different. You need to purchase the "steelhead conservation surcharge" if you intend to fish for steelhead, regardless whether you want to keep one or not.

kid fisherman

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »

Hey rod at what time of the year should I be fishing the pools by the cap suspension bridge.

shizz

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »

Just an update - I saw a few Coho sitting in pools , along with a few aerobatic steelhead. But neither was interested in anything I had, or the guy next to me was fishing with. Oh well. Good fun exploring never the less!

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »

Just an update - I saw a few Coho sitting in pools , along with a few aerobatic steelhead. But neither was interested in anything I had, or the guy next to me was fishing with. Oh well. Good fun exploring never the less!
good to hear. plan on making my first trip of the year sometime next week

shizz

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 11:15:12 AM »

Might have to re-stock with a few new jigs/lures. I didn't realize until I got to BC that Trebles on lures are not allowed. So looks like I'll be re-rigging a few with single hooks.

Vancook - if you need a fishing buddy, let me know. I'd be keen as mustad to hit the water with local, this is all new to me!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »

Needs a rain, not much flow yet. Years past, when the stocks were strong enough to keep a few, it was fun coming home and seeing the looks from the neighbours when I pulled my 4 fish out of the car. Not monsters, but they were great on the barby. I also caught my first steelie in the Cap. Good river, I've had a lot of fun there.
http://

doja

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 07:51:24 PM »

Might have to re-stock with a few new jigs/lures. I didn't realize until I got to BC that Trebles on lures are not allowed. So looks like I'll be re-rigging a few with single hooks.

Vancook - if you need a fishing buddy, let me know. I'd be keen as mustad to hit the water with local, this is all new to me!

Shizz, I'd be more than happy to hit the flow some time and show you around. Just drop a line, my email is listed under my heading. I noticed yours is not so I can not contact you nor can any one else... you might want to change that.

PS I may even have a extra boat you could use which could show you some of the local and better yet the interior, and famous trout fishery, which is a blast... 10 pound trout!!!!

In any event drop a line!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:57:52 PM by doja »

shizz

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »

Thanks for the offer doja. I clicked your profile but can't see your email? shoot me an email at theshizz@gmail.com . I'm free all week if you or anyone else is keen for a fish

doja

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »

Thanks for the offer doja. I clicked your profile but can't see your email? shoot me an email at theshizz@gmail.com . I'm free all week if you or anyone else is keen for a fish

Ha,ha.... I guess mine is also hidden. I could always see it but apparently i had to go into settings to see it was set to hidden.

It is now un-hidden.

shizz

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »

haha don't worry, I did the same thing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 11:13:20 PM »

Also don't forget that the single hooks need to be barbless, so if the hooks that you bought are barbed, pinch them down.

Treble hooks are allowed in certain fisheries in British Columbia, just not in rivers. In most lakes, it is permitted unless specified otherwise in the regulation booklet.

Fishing regulations in this province can definitely be quite overwhelming when starting out. This page http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/synopsis/ has all the generic information that one should know before starting out. Once you go through it a couple of times, it becomes much easier. :)