Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Landlocked Salmon  (Read 6182 times)

Nutterbug

Landlocked Salmon
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »

What species of landlocked salmon are there, other than kokanee?

What are the rules and limits to their catch?  Which agency is in charge of them (DFO or MoE)?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Landlocked Salmon
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »

What species of landlocked salmon are there, other than kokanee?

What are the rules and limits to their catch?  Which agency is in charge of them (DFO or MoE)?

Their are landlocked coho in Kawkawa

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »

I am only aware of sockeye, coho and steelhead that decide to stay in freshwater rather than migrate to the Pacific Ocean, but probably some cutthroat and char populations do the same.
This seems to be just another survival strategy that seems to have worked for some populations like Kawkawa or Cultus (and probably other undocumented coastal lakes), most likely due to favorable water conditions and a full meal deal, meaning lots of food, in the chosen system.
Even now, a small portion of the very inbred Chilliwack River hatchery coho still decide to enter Sweltzer Creek, swim upstream for 3 kms, then reside for some time at least, in warm, food rich Cultus Lake.

Nutterbug

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »

Also, can we assume that any sockeye caught in a lake is a kokanee, and likewise, any steelhead caught in a lake is just a large rainbow, and apply the regulations accordingly?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »

Also, can we assume that any sockeye caught in a lake is a kokanee, and likewise, any steelhead caught in a lake is just a large rainbow, and apply the regulations accordingly?

Nope. Some lakes those fish pass through. Their is atleast one lake I know of in the Lower Mainland that steelhead will pass through. I have witnessed a couple caught.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Nutterbug

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:33:20 PM »

Nope. Some lakes those fish pass through. Their is atleast one lake I know of in the Lower Mainland that steelhead will pass through. I have witnessed a couple caught.

Pitt Lake?

I take it the stream fishing regulations apply there.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »

Beyond BC, there is an active and popular fishery in eastern Canada/US for landlocked Atlantic salmon, called Sebago or ouananiche. For inquiring minds that want to know, the largest landlocked salmon, sport caught, on record was from Sebago Lake in Maine in 1907 and weighed 35.5 pounds.

Their are landlocked coho in Kawkawa

Not doubting you, however what is your basis for this? Up until now I've always been under the assumption that they were sea run and Kawkawa was just their nursery lake for a spell.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:29:46 AM by clarki »

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:10:17 AM »

I'm fairly certain that the majority of the coho in kawkawa are indeed landlocked. I've heard this from a DFO officer as well as read it on various sites including this one. I also know a few lower mainland lakes that steelhead will travel through so it is always best to check regs before just keeping fish out of any particular lake (the ones I know of have regs in place to protect any wild steelhead that end up in the lakes).

Nitroholic

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 10:57:01 AM »

There's pinks, coho, and chinook in the great lakes..

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »

Pitt Lake?

I take it the stream fishing regulations apply there.

Not Pitt Lake I wont mention it as their is bound to be someone to be PO'd if I did.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 01:13:58 PM »

Im pretty sure i know what lake your talking about BB and im not going to say anything here because it already recieves enough poaching as it is  >:(

and no im not calling people poachers, im just saying that i have watched people killing fish there  :'(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Nutterbug

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 01:16:16 PM »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 01:25:30 PM »

No cell service there bud  ;) and im also tired of reporting and seeing nothing. I do still call from time to time but not as much as i should. We called once during the pink run after watching a guy retain a WILD coho on the fraser. Of course DFO did show up but about 90mins late  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Nutterbug

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »

No cell service there bud  ;) and im also tired of reporting and seeing nothing. I do still call from time to time but not as much as i should. We called once during the pink run after watching a guy retain a WILD coho on the fraser. Of course DFO did show up but about 90mins late  ::)

Take a camera with you to take photographic evidence and record of the perpetrator when possible.

Still worth a try if there's an odd chance they'll do something about it, and the more they do it, the more likely they'll get caught over time.  Put your money where your mouth is, if it bothers you so much.

bluesteele

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 02:27:59 PM »

Im pretty sure i know what lake your talking about BB and im not going to say anything here because it already recieves enough poaching as it is  >:(

and no im not calling people poachers, im just saying that i have watched people killing fish there  :'(

At least they have made it a bait ban in that lake. Lots of poaching their..it's a shame... Cell service isnt too far away tho.  ;)

Bluesteele