Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Fishing Lakes - Saturday in Lower Mainland  (Read 5761 times)

sassygrams

Fly Fishing Lakes - Saturday in Lower Mainland
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »

I know, me again asking questions......coming to Vancouver this Saturday and I have packed my car for fly fishing.

Any ideas?   

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Bavarian Raven

Re: Fly Fishing Lakes - Saturday in Lower Mainland
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »

if you have a boat or if you dont mind hiking a bit, Buntzen Lake has some decent fly fishing spots. lots of rocky points and drop offs and ledges. always a fun place to try.

sassygrams

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:56:28 AM »

I appreciate your reply - hiking....  probably not too much this visit.  Normally I would say not a problem but I have a fish cat 4 and I don't have carry straps for it yet - so I do find it a bit heavy. 

I'd perfer something more accessible - Supposed to be going to Alice or Brohm but I haven't heard from the fellow....  so I just want to be prepared in case that falls through.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:42:05 AM »

Might want to give Lafarge a try. Being the weekend there will be lots of pontooners and tubers on the water to keep you company.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »

The fellow? Me? :o We haven't been up to Squamish/Whistler area this week, the weather can't seem to make up its mind, forecast changes everyday. :-\ I wouldn't fish Alice or Brohm just because they haven't been stocked, even though I think Alice is a really lovely lake to paddle around in a boat or tube. When we were checking out Alice over a week ago, we did see occasional rises so there are fish, just not many of them.

What about Como Lake, not many people tube in there and they just stocked it.

sassygrams

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »

no, not you.

I will basically go anywhere there may be fish - the reason I'm asking is without being familiar with the lakes, some aren't real good for float tubes and I dont' have a lot of time to drive from one lake to another -

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »

If there isn't a preference on what kind of fish you are catching, then definitely Como Lake. It's easy to get to, lots of parking spaces. On the east side of the lake, you can park and be 20ft from the lake shore where you can launch the boat/tube. They just put in 1,000 rainbow trout so your chance of getting a few is very good. :)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/como_lake.html

sassygrams

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »

No preference really - I have to come to Vancouver anyways and am not busy until night time....  What better way then to fish for the day.

Como lake it is if my plans fall through with the other fellow.

Thank you so much,

if there are any fly patterns that would work better feel free to share :)

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »

i would use a olive green woolly bugger ,strip it fast after sinking.

ricer

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »

Just fished Lafarge - fished from 8:00 - 2:00 and released approx 25-30
caught using various flies under an indicator (2-5ft between fly and indicator) - pheasant tail nymph, black chironomid red rib, chromie red butt, black micro leech red rib......ect...
must be twitched

lots of fun and lots of float tubers - counted 18 (it was the garibaldi flyfishing school)

very easy access

have fun wherever you go

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »

I would hit Lafarge myself if i was in your shoes. fly to use in there is a black body/red ribbed size 14 chironie  ;) so far it has worked everytime out for us. Also had a green one with white beadhead that was deadly. other then that i would try Olive wooly buggers, leeches in black or olive as well.

It all depends on whether you want to troll or anchor and cast. I do the anchoring thing.

We will be hitting Lafarge on sunday if your around that day.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

sassygrams

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:09:37 PM »

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions.  I ended up going out towards Squamish - caught a couple small rainbows, practiced using a level wind reel and it's all good.
I really appreciate everyones help.