Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whonnock and Lafarge Lakes, April 10th 2010: Windy day spoils an afternoon  (Read 1251 times)

Britguy

• Old Timer

I started off at lafarge with the utube this morning but it was slow going on the fly
so i decided to go home get out the pontoon and head to Whonnock lake
 but didn't bother to get my gear out  :-\
 it was so windy it looked like the ocean on a bad day :(
so i drove back home put away the pontoon and took out the utube and headed back to Lafarge
 but in the change over I left all my fly gear in my pontoon bag
so i only had my dry line and three flies, one of which i tied last night
This turned out to be a good fly (black and purple leech with brass bead)
I think i will try Whonnock again in the morning once i check the wind report ;)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe

I started off at lafarge with the utube this morning but it was slow going on the fly
so i decided to go home get out the pontoon and head to Whonnock lake
 but didn't bother to get my gear out  :-\
 it was so windy it looked like the ocean on a bad day :(
so i drove back home put away the pontoon and took out the utube and headed back to Lafarge
 but in the change over I left all my fly gear in my pontoon bag
so i only had my dry line and three flies, one of which i tied last night
This turned out to be a good fly (black and purple leech with brass bead)
I think i will try Whonnock again in the morning once i check the wind report ;)

i went yesterday and it was windy so i trolled a pumpkin head and hook a siler fish species unknown because lost it. i kept trolling and brought my first cuttie in three years and she tasted good. maybe i will see you out their.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:48:45 PM by fly fisher »
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

deepcovehooker

I was up in that area.  Fly fishing the Stave.  Wind at times almost knocked me over.  Some of the worst casting in my life.  Gave up after about an hour and had a beer.  Second Saturday in a row the wind had been bad up there.    :-\

blueback

My family and I were up around there too. 'Fished' Rolley, but with two kids and another adult in my boat (powered only by me on my oars), I couldn't keep up at times and was blown to the walkway end of the lake. A few people were still getting them though. Camped at the Prov Park (new rates 28$/night/family :o), but still fun weekend with the wife and kids, and two other families and their kids. Good to sleep in a camper with a furnace too; she was a little chilly outside at night.   

oddjob

• woof woof

Is the temperture warm enough to catch crappies at Whonnock lake yet ???? Can you catch them from the wharf and what would you use as bait ????

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe

Is the temperture warm enough to catch crappies at Whonnock lake yet ???? Can you catch them from the wharf and what would you use as bait ????
the middle of the lake is your best bet were it is deepest
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Britguy

• Old Timer

I dont think the crappie are biting yet but it won't be long
They tend to stick to the lilly pads for cover so once they start showing the fish will start biting
bait wise they will take almost anything, They tend to school together so if you do get one, fish the same spot
I have found the best spot for them is straight  out by the first set of lillies about 80-100 yds out (a bit to far to cast  from shore with a float set up and a lead set up will get you hooked up in the lillies)
hope this helps