Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are there any positives about this rainy cold weather we have been having ???  (Read 3649 times)

arimaBOATER

Seems like we are having a long spell of windy or cold rainy weather.... during the Olympics we had nicer sunny days & that's 5-6 weeks ago in winter.
But some can actually find positives with this cold weather...imagine lakes rivers etc are not so crowded...mall owners must be happy as people will shop more....restaurants possibly make more buissness...
In door swimming pools exercise clubs libraries have more attendence...
People buying more coffees...maybe people smoke & drink more???

And for the NHL fan the up coming play-offs are easier to watch indoors on the boob tube when it's cloudy outside !!!

Oh yes web surfing is more pleasurable when it's raining outside.
Maybe the crime rate is 50% less on cold  & rainy days !!!! (that's a big plus)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:14:19 PM by arimaBOATER »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

dont forget about the snow pack that is increasing meaning that there will be better spring run off.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Positives:

- increase umbrella sales
- snow on the local mountains. Increase revenue for ski hills
- more time to tie flies
- perfect time for spring cleaning

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

It's excellent for the welfare of our fish, because skillful fair-weather fisherpeople like me stay home when the rain is falling and the wind is howling.

wizard

Like GeffT said, the snow pack in the mountains is extremely important for upcoming seasons water levels in lakes rivers and streams..  Hopefully spring runoff in southern interior is decent because inflow of water in alot of lakes can determine productivity.  does anyone know what snow pack levels in interior is like this year?

Spooner

I have to agree with Wizard !!!

Britguy

• Old Timer

It's excellent for the welfare of our fish, because skillful fair-weather fisherpeople like me stay home when the rain is falling and the wind is howling.
Yes but skill full all weather fisherpeople like me get the lakes to our selves and catch lots of fish  ;D( i was the only tuber out there)
i was at Lafarge today and got into quite few fish before the wind got too strong for me to stay on the water in a safe way :(
hoping it will die down this afternoon so i can go back ouy :-\

vancook

• Old Timer

I stood in the pouring rain at Rice on Wednesday, caught quite a few nice sized bows off the dock...until a gear malfunction ended my day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

I guess you don't do much fishing ? ;D

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place

The first thing I think about is the sockeye. They always have trouble through the Fraser when water temperatures get around 20 degrees Celsius. High summer temperatures are greatly offset by a higher freshet, so less in river sockeye mortality would definitely qualify as a positive in my books. 

mattyo

Snowpack is well below normal just over the coastal mountain belt. :(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Like GeffT said, the snow pack in the mountains is extremely important for upcoming seasons water levels in lakes rivers and streams..  Hopefully spring runoff in southern interior is decent because inflow of water in alot of lakes can determine productivity.  does anyone know what snow pack levels in interior is like this year?

You can find info about snow levels from the River Forcast Centre, http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/rfc/

wizard

Good link Chris.  With nearly all basins across bc seeing below normal snow packs, should make for an interesting summer. A good reminder for all of us to do our part and conserve water where we can. every little bit helps.

dennyman

• Old Timer

Unfortunately in the Interior they are forecasting another drought year. That does not bode well for the salmon, especially the sockeye. Aside from agriculture being hit hard, and water restrictions being put into effect early to preserve what little build up they get from the low snow pack it does not look good. To give you an example, on a drive up to Lillooet about a month ago, they had already begun cutting down the dead pine beetle trees, and will start doing a selective burn over the next few months. If you are going to be doing lake fishing in the Interior do it early because it looks like another hot summer with plenty of forest fires to follow.

Riverman

• old fart

Was up at my place on Adams Lake for Easter.The local mountains had just a dusting of snow with hardly any on the high passes.Looks bad for the socks.
Riverman