Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iona beach jetty  (Read 10861 times)

vandenhooff

Iona beach jetty
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »

Has anyone fished from the end of the North or South jetty at Iona Beach (near the airport). The jetties go out 3-4 km into Georgia Straight which would put us over deeper water, and yes, this is where our treated water is discharged into the ocean but I am thinking catch and release only.

If anyone has fished there were you successful and what did you use?

Thanks

Dennis

dmocchi

Re: Iona beach jetty
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »

Used to fish there a long time ag. Very serene and peaceful location might I add. During high tide, expect lots of chub and squafish. I wouldnt be surprised if u could catch cutties there also in season.

vandenhooff

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »

I live near Costco in Richmond so it close to me.

I just bought some new gear so I'm getting back into fishing after many years away from it. My set up is a Daiwa TD Luna 253 strapped on a Trophy 10.5 foot medium/light action rod, line weight 8-17 pound.

What should I use for lures or bait, any ideas? I have t-bars (for worms, shrimp, roe etc), plugs and spoons for casting.

dmocchi

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:02:37 AM »

What attracted me to that location was the lack of fishing pressure (noone over fishes there) and the fact that at high slack tide we could fish  with a float. Theres not much current there so if you end up using a T bar all u need as a 1 ounce weight. Spoons and pinners for cutties and maybe dollies but dough for squafish and chubs. (FLour , water, peanut oil or garlic powder).

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:38 AM »

Don't forget about McDonald Beach.  It is on the way to the jetty and can be fished at high tide.  There is no fishing pressure there either just a few folks walking their dogs. 

dmocchi

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »

Yup .....both great locations at this time of the year. I remember a few years ago reading on this site about success catching dollies with spoons from the beach at that very beach. Best of luck and let us know how it went! ;)

vandenhooff

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »

ok sounds great!

When you guys refer to spoons you mean things like crocs and deadly dicks, or something else?

And, it sounds like I should be fishing during high or high-slack tide, correct?

Yes, for my part I'll definitely let you know how I make out.

fishgutz63

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »

can some one give specific directions on how to get to mcdonald beach and the iona jetty also if there is parking available. thanx  8)

dmocchi

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »

ok sounds great!

When you guys refer to spoons you mean things like crocs and deadly dicks, or something else?

And, it sounds like I should be fishing during high or high-slack tide, correct?

Yes, for my part I'll definitely let you know how I make out.
\

Yes exactly....experiment with colors.Remember to bring bait with you incase they dont bite on artificials.

dmocchi

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 05:10:41 PM »

can some one give specific directions on how to get to mcdonald beach and the iona jetty also if there is parking available. thanx  8)

Sure. Head to Sea Island (the airport) get on Ferguson and continue till u see Mcdonald. Turn right till the end.As stated its an excellent place for peace and quiet with relatively low exposure to people.

vandenhooff

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »

I believe the signage has changed since the Canada Line has been in place. Just head to towards the airport. Before the large Air Canada hanger (on the right) you'll turn right on Templeton and it turns into Ferguson. After that don't worry Fishgutz there is signage for MacDonald beach, and as for Iona, well, you won't miss because the road ends at Iona.

Good luck!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »

Been to both places quite a few times.....A) to launch our Arima boat ...ps lots of nice pinic tables with a great view of the river & to the other side ya can watch people launching their boats...(ya have a bird's eye view)

Some years ago the wife & I biked along the north side of the airport (yes for a ways the road gets narrow with big ditches to the side & septic tank trucks ripping by) ...but we also biked to the end of the jetty.  For the most part it is quite shallow & sandy on both sides of the jetty...maybe 5 ft max on high tide (guess) ...on low tide it's all sand.  Nevertheless at the end of the jetty regardles of tide it is deeper water.
 In the past noticed some veicles were broken into...broken windows...so sujj ya don'y leave anything of value in eyesight. Knowing human nature it is % wise no dif. today.
Most of the times the water looked very clear surprizingly.  All the best fishing.