Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indicator Fishing.  (Read 10591 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Indicator Fishing.
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »

Do you like to put small split shot between your chironomid and your indicator?

Thanks.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Indicator Fishing.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:37:44 AM »

If i am fishing less than 12 feet of water then i use nothing. If i have to go to a long leaderr and actually fish 12 feet or deeper then i add a small swivel instead of a micro split shot. I find it works better then shot because it casts nicer. You do your entire leader, tie on swivel then your tippet then fly. your line above swivel should be heavy enough that it you do break off you only lose your fly and some tippet. your float goes ABOVE the swivel  ;) trust me i have forgotten to put it on and its very annoying LOL

another way you can avoid using split shot or swivels is to tie your chironies with Tungsten beads, these will sink like a rock into the zone you want however these are pricey at $6 for 10 beads !!!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:51:46 AM »

Almost always use a splitshot or swivel, about 16-24" above the fly when indicator fishing.

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »

I rarely use splitshot, as I personally prefer to tie my chironomids with tungsten beads and a few wraps of thin lead sheeting or fine lead wire - when I feel the need to get deep in a more timely fashion. The lack of splitshot also allows me to keep a direct connection and contact with my fly as it descends to the depth that I wish to present it at. A splitshot on the other hand can cause the leader to form a slight bow as it sinks, which can affect the ability to detect an extremely gentle take during the fly's descent...
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »

not usually.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:11:18 PM »

--depends who's asking... when at the fly fishing purists club I would never add weight or even an indicator and in some circles only dry fly fishing is real fly fishing.
--on the other hand if it was artificial fly only as opposed to fly fishing only I might say I put a weight below the float on my spinning outfit.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:09:58 PM »

Thanks for all of your info guys.  :)

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:40:35 AM »

I rarely use splitshot, as I personally prefer to tie my chironomids with tungsten beads and a few wraps of thin lead sheeting or fine lead wire - when I feel the need to get deep in a more timely fashion. The lack of splitshot also allows me to keep a direct connection and contact with my fly as it descends to the depth that I wish to present it at. A splitshot on the other hand can cause the leader to form a slight bow as it sinks, which can affect the ability to detect an extremely gentle take during the fly's descent...

I totally agree 100% with Todd on this one.

I have found that using split shot (Or any other kind of weight) on the line acts as a lever and makes it harder to detect the gentle takes that are synonymous with Chironomid fishing.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

prairiefire

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:20:49 PM »

Anyone ever try polyleaders under an indicator? Never tried them just curious if it works or if it's better for a "naked" set-up.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

wizard

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »

I'll usually use a good quality mono from fly line to a small swivel.  From the swivel 2 feet or so of fluorocarbon.  If my leader is shorter because of shallow water, I might just use straight fluorocarbon.  I don't tend to have problems with hookups when using a small swivel.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 05:40:22 PM »

I'm just not sure of the point of adding a swivel at all.  If you do a loop knot to your fly so it hangs freely you will negate any noticeable twisting in the line anyways and it even imparts a little wiggle to the chironomid.  As for improved casting, I wouldn't think it would make a whole lot of difference only 2-3 feet up from your fly.  Typically if you're able to cast with 12 -16 feet between your indicator and chironomid, a tiny bit of weight a couple feet either direction isn't going to make or break your cast.

Just make sure you tie your chironie's on with a loop knot:)

wizard

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »

Agreed Marmot, loop knot. obviously...I've just always used a small swivel.  I'm not keen on the idea of a split shot, although I see why people use it. But I use a swivel simply to get it down a little faster (not as fast as split shot).  I like to think my leader is ALWAYS  straight up and down.  I don't want wind or anything swinging my fly around or anything like that.  That really is why I use a swivel.  Yes weighted chironies will help keep the fly down.  I guess it's just whatever you feel comftorable using.  Bottom line is just be confident in whatever rig you use!  the only thing I'll say about a swivel is I'm sure many of fish has hit the swivel and not the chirony...

I am a firm beleiver that there is NO right or wrong way of doing things.  Just what works for you.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »

I love my indicator fishing. The more knots on your line the more chances of something bad happening. So if you add a swivel you have two extra knots. No swivel for me. Like Tyson I like my chironomids with beads, when fishing leeches under an indicator beads as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »

I am a firm beleiver that there is NO right or wrong way of doing things.  Just what works for you.

For sure.  If it's working for you, stick to it.  Like others just about every chironomid I tie has a bead head so it's down quickly anyways, so extra weight and swivels are unnecessary. 

johnk

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »

I agree with Todd that splitshot can hinder the detection of gentle takes on the descent and I can live with that. I use both splitshot and swivels and tungsten beads which is a byproduct of my impatience. All the weight has been the difference under tough conditions. Occasionally I like to quarter across my cast and the weight helps keep the fly down. I apply regular "rip-strips" to my retrieve and am confident that the fly will return to the zone directly.

Bryan, you have a knot where the tippet joins the leader and where the tippet joins the fly so one extra knot will not cause SNAFU.

Rick, gentle takes are as about synonymous as smashes that plunge the indicator 3 feet under so give and take.