Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Canal - Restricted Area ???????  (Read 9217 times)

Chrome Mykiss

Re: Vedder Canal - Restricted Area ???????
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 10:39:45 PM »

The canal shall remain open for all anglers, how ever all anglers under the age of 65 shall be blind folded while angle for steelhead so they cannot sight fish.

Regarding his previous concern:

I will recommend for a main line restriction. All anglers should only have 50ft of main line spooled so the above problem could be resolved. One may ask, what if the fish runs? Well, that's fishing.

I hope these proposed changes will result in more satisfied outings.
Or restrict the canal to fishers who are legally blind. ;D

Also restrict the canal to fly fishing only with floating line and dry flies  :P

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 10:59:45 PM »

Also restrict the canal to fly fishing only with floating line and dry flies  :P

Although meant in jest it might not be a bad idea after all.

Back east there are salmon rivers with floating line only regulations, this would surely cut down on the amount of dredgers in the canal area.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 08:01:13 AM »

......... this would surely cut down on the amount of dredgers in the canal area.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dredgers" ......   

If you mean fishermen with long leaders, I think you would be surprised that there are not many of those. Most people seem to be short float fishing. The main reason I think is the fish are aggressive, the water runs slow and shallow and the bottom of the canal is littered with snags....

I like Rod's ideas...  :D

It would be good to hear from greybark to see if he's satisfied with the ideas.  I'd hate to see him having to keep wearing those kevilar waders for the rest of the season......  they can't be all that comfortable. ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

greybark

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »

;D Perhapes the only restriction should be -  all have to use the famous "Propiel Pocket Fisherman" and waders designed by golfer John Daley :o not recommended is golfer Ian Poulter`s panache for pink !!!!
      ;D A handicap system similar to Golf would be  -  The Fishers mainline should equate with their age . 21 years of age use a 21 ft line and a 71year elder would be restricted to a 71 ft .(71 seemed like a good choice)
     OK I go golfing now !!!!!
     Cheers
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:14:29 AM by greybark »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 11:37:58 AM »

-lets work on enhanced fishing opportunities which would allow people a choice of good catching spots.
-i don't see the point of fishing with a book full of rules to prevent...legal catching of fish. 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »

;D Perhapes the only restriction should be -  all have to use the famous "Propiel Pocket Fisherman"

http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/ppf.html

Popeil Pocket Fisherman Spin Casting Outfit Makes Fishing Easy.

This is the famous Popeil Pocket Fisherman that has thrilled generations! The double-flex rod is hinged into the closed position when stored away. When ready to use, simply unfold until it snaps into the fully extended position. Also features an automatic anti-reverse that prevents the handle from turning backwards. The handle of the Popeil Pocket Fisherman is also a mini tackle box containing hook, line, sinker, and bobber. The Pocket Fisherman is always ready for the fish to strike! A perfect gift for any fisherman … young and old alike!

# Product Features: Convenient design
# Fits into your glove compartment
# Attaches to your belt
# Handle doubles as mini tackle box
# Reel is replaceable with reel cartridge
# Full-time authority

That would work great in the close quarters under the KWB!!! It would probably increase the capacity of that spot to at least 100 fishermen!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:08:01 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

penn

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »

Here's another suggestion , ban fly fishing from the canal as we all know fly fishermen are the biggest flossers around . And because they also like to walk way out in the middle of runs thus disturbing fish in their natural habitat .
Another suggestion , those overly concerned about such issues voluntarily refrain from fishing in the interest of not harassing fish .  ;D

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »

how about banning any other fishing method that I dont do at this time, or closing some section of river to suit my needs....this is all that seems to come up latley..

penn

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »

how about banning any other fishing method that I dont do at this time, or closing some section of river to suit my needs....this is all that seems to come up latley..
But that's such a popular concept ,just ban my competition , would make fore much more enjoyable outings for me would it not ? And ban all those who fish downstream from me , that way more fish are bound to come my way .

penn

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »

Simple solution - dredge the whole canal 20' deep right to the mouth.
But this would not make Chris happy .

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »

basically, seems like most rods catch the majority of their fish in certain conditions. For myself I love it when the river is low simply because that is when I have caught the majority of steelhead in my brief career. Others have caught their majority when the water is up, these are the guys that are always saying "pray for rain" as if the fish simply do not move into the river during low conditions. I have seen steelhead this year moving through the canal on bright sunny days with dorsal fins showing! The good rods out there truly know how to hook up in all conditions. They know when to grow some roots in the canal and fish the tide, as well as where to fish during high water conditions, and so on.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 10:25:50 PM »

Right we are fighting hard just to allow a catch and release salmon fishery on the Fraser from May 1 to July 15, why? because someone suggested we close it. Be careful what you suggest, you might just get it.

mattyo

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 07:04:37 AM »

With salmon returns in such low numbers, I don't see a problem with a complete closure on the Fraser for April to mid June. Why allow catch and release?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »

If I saw a fish rise I'd cast to it.
If I saw a fish behind a rock I'd cast to it.
If I saw V's I'd cast ahead of it.
BUT,  I wouldn't wait around for it to happen.
Some people sight fish and ya, it's kinda of annoying at times but the areas they do this are standard.
PS. I've only ever observed the KW and Canal and that's enough for me.
There's to much river to fish without dwelling on the foregone.
Fenceposters:
some fenceposters do it 'cuz they've had luck there (the spot) before, It regularily produces for them.
others fish there with a salmon mentality; the fish will come.
and still others fish there 'cuz well, others are there.
The unintentional fenceposters are eager and bought a rod and reel they haven't yet mastered (cleaning up birdnests).
 brought too much gear and have to try everything before they move on.
Try to fish every inch of the grid before they move down stream.

These unintentional fenceposters look like actual fenceposters due to thier intense effort at doing things properly.

Experienced fishers will cover a run in less than half the time a newbie will.

A fencepost isn't always  doing it on purpose.
If you see someone struggling give them a bit of guidance,  They'll be faster next year

PS  KW and canal  FF only, but that comes in a month or so anyways.

roeman

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »

With salmon returns in such low numbers, I don't see a problem with a complete closure on the Fraser for April to mid June. Why allow catch and release?
Ok, lets close it, then I guess the Vedder should be closed from Dec to April because of the small run of Springs in the system, don't won't to catch and release those either.  Funny how if it suits a certain individual they think it is a good idea.  But when they close down snagging season in Aug these idividuals wine and complain it is their right to fish since they buy a license..
Are you fishin or catchin