Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Canal - Restricted Area ???????  (Read 9219 times)

greybark

Vedder Canal - Restricted Area ???????
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:47:40 PM »

The Vedder Canal now provides an aspect of Steelheading which few fishers approve of . The number of anglers congested on the few holding strips of water is really a zoo with no concept of a "quality" steelhead fishery . I watched Steelheaders "sight fish" the lower wider and shallower sections . They would stand to-gether on the bank and when sighting the distintive wake of a steelhead they ran out into the river and casting in front of the fish .
       ::) Perhapes this section should be out of bounds or maybe restricted to Seniors and Disabled Steelheaders.
    I have on my Kevlilar Waders on for this one .
    Cheers

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Canal - Restricted Area ???????
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:49:15 PM »

Sight fishing the way that I've seen it done in the canal for the last month or so is quite interesting. Basically this group of anglers (seems to be the same guys every day)  are fishing water that is around a foot deep, they are using dink floats, some lead right up to the float, and an 8 to 10" leader with gob of roe. They are targeting moving fish and actually hook a fair number of them. It looks boring as hell because they may only make a couple casts in a few hours, but I see it as just another way to fish that has a different element of excitement. What if every cast you made was to a fresh, untouched fish? Some like to swing 6" pink worms through fast pocket water with 1.5 feet of vis and others like to cast to a "v" moving  through 1.5 feet of gin clear water. I don't see anything wrong with it

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 12:47:25 AM »

I fished the KWB for steelhead for the first time on Friday after work and all seemed fine, the guys knew what they were doing and were for the most part pleasent. Theres always the odd ball that you shake your head at.
The Bigger The Better!

penn

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »

Don't see a problem with it either . If you don't like it then just go somewhere else.  If it was a hoard of guys bottom bouncing a pool of trapped fish that's one thing . But for the most part , I have not seen that happening . Mostly guys just fishing pools like anywhere else on the river. Few have the talent descibed above . With the resrticitve logic , why not whenever there is an area that gets productive and attracts more people ,  ::) why not just shut it down ?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:16:53 AM »

::) Perhapes this section should be out of bounds or maybe restricted to Seniors and Disabled Steelheaders.

I think this is a great idea! ......  restrict the area to anyone 56 years or older!  .. and anyone in a wheelchair.. ;D ;D  

I bet those kevalar waders are really durable,  eh Greybark??
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:20:18 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

azafai

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »

since when sight fishing is a sin??

buck

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 12:52:44 PM »

Greybark

We tried to get the "LIMITS HOLE" closed due to unethical fishing practices and you would have thought we were asking to close the whole river.
I can just imagine the outcry if they tried to close the canal.

yoda

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:03:49 PM »

i guess i might as well get rid of my salt water fish finder as well, because as well as spotting the feed balls on top of the water, it g
ives me an extra edge if they try and hide under water. take a drink of water, a deep breath and walk slow greybark.
bottom line, if the fish bites, all is good ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:22:15 PM »

Any bites yet Greybark???  thought I saw as rise ...
There was 7 pages of this same discussion recently on another site - wonder how far this one will go?  Looking forward to it.

rides bike to work

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 07:22:18 PM »

I think that they should reclaim some of the farm land down there and  widen the dyke bank wich would make the river meander back and forth like a natural river and helping with flood protection at the same time.mabey money from our steelhead tags could pay for that.What do you say pacific salmon foundation?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »

What do you say pacific salmon foundation?

Pacific Salmon Foundation has nothing to do with the freshwater steelhead conservation surcharge

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 08:14:51 PM »

guys have been doing this for years its nothing new. the water depth is usually about 18'' deep
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 08:35:56 PM »

To ensure that Greybark's concerns are addressed and that he is getting the value of his annual freshwater angling licence fee of $5, I will make the following recommendations at the next sportfishing advisory committee meeting in a couple of weeks from now. The canal shall remain open for all anglers, how ever all anglers under the age of 65 shall be blind folded while angle for steelhead so they cannot sight fish.

Regarding his previous concern:

::) How many of you Steelheaders allow your float to drift beyond the fisher below you ?

I will recommend for a main line restriction. All anglers should only have 50ft of main line spooled so the above problem could be resolved. One may ask, what if the fish runs? Well, that's fishing.

I hope these proposed changes will result in more satisfied outings.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »

Or restrict the canal to fishers who are legally blind. ;D

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »

The canal shall remain open for all anglers, how ever all anglers under the age of 65 shall be blind folded while angle for steelhead so they cannot sight fish.
now thats just plain silly Rod :-\
Lets make it fair, how about they just have to close there eyes when they cast :D

All anglers should only have 50ft of main line spooled so the above problem could be resolved. One may ask, what if the fish runs? Well, that's fishing.

If fishing the canal it would have to be no more than 20ft to keep away from the guys on your right or left shoulder :D