Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch  (Read 2845 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
« on: March 12, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »

I am glad the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition has prevented a lot of similar type garbage reaching Georgia Strait after being washed in high river flows down the Chilliwack Vedder River to the Fraser and out to the ocean.

Please take the time to watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrAShtolieg&feature=related

lapetitebuse

Re: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:13:38 PM »

Chris,

thanks for bringing this to our attention.
I would be soooooo happy if Canada becomes a leader in environmental conservation and ban the use of disposable coffee cups, foam containers, bottled water and all that stuff that just gather in the nature. But it sounds like a dream that will never happen, since it would harm the economy, and to politician's minds, economical growth is what really matter.
Nobody seems to see the equation : strong consumption = strong economy = strong GHG emission and trash accumulation and so many harmful thing to our planet
I guess it is easy to omit the last branch of the equation, like we've been ignoring it for centuries.

Now, Am I the only one to think that we are about to hit the wall? We are using everyday vast amount of finite resources, oil being the big one, and one of these day, it's gonna be depleted. and for what? so that our generation has a comfy life full of plastic pop bottle, travel as much as we want, eat food grown 2000k away? What are we gonna leave for the next generation though? I guess that slides show is the beginning of an answer.