Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this what people call steehead fishing?  (Read 4270 times)

rides bike to work

Is this what people call steehead fishing?
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »

Sorry to rant but after any resent trips to my local river the vedder I have noticed it to be a realy slow year .Im no hot rod but I do get a little bit of action.So after reading some reports of fish by the keith wilson bridge I decided to drive by and see what was going on.I dont fish this spot because it is usually busy,but today I couldnt belive my eyes 19 guys on the bar and another 7 on the grassy side all boming the same run.Its just my opinion but This behavior does nothing for the sport or the fish no wonder many feel improving the fishery on the vedder is a lost cause because of this behavior.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Is this what people call steehead fishing?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:51:46 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by behavior....  19 guys standing side by side fishing doesn't seem like bad behaviour to me. It may not be your's or my idea of fun but for many people this is a great way to enjoy a day of fishing.

Have you checked out the Vedder or the Fraser during salmon season?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

yakideath12

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »

easy access area= lots of people.

simple

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »

Some people like fishing like that, others don't.  I don't care for it but that's just me and that's why I choose to fish other areas...  Who cares if other people enjoy it? Live and let live...life's too short.

tnt

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:33:25 AM »

lots of fish heading up past the masses....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:29:07 AM »

They can stand there all they want. The fish shoot through in the dark hours. Very few get caught at the bridge on a daily basis.

As long as the guys stack up at the bridge the rest of the river opens up with more free space.

It's good for everyone.  :D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »

those people can have at it, I choose to drive up the river and walk the runs. I've stopped on the canal once this season and watched 4 guys plant roots at one spot. they can have at it lol

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:19:03 AM »

I would rather they fish there than where I am.More power to them.
Riverman

mr.p

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »

I occasionally will fish the canal during steel season.  I stay in my usual routine and keep moving down river. 

But I understand the method behind the madness you see down by KWB. There are the obvious reasons like easy access and more of a social experience.  Plus there is the fact that the canal can be extremely productive if you hit it right.  Certain conditions and timing with the tides will consistently produce fish.  These fish are fresh and aggressive.  They haven't seen hundreds of other presentations.

On top of that, if you walk over the KWB, you'll see that the fish basically funnel through those two bridge pillars.  Now these are just rough estimates but lets say the Vedder gets 10,000 steelies between Dec-April.  So 10,000 fish over 5 months = 2,000 per month.  So on average 66 fish a day pass through the 20ft slot between the pillars.  Depending on conditions and time of the run, I'd estimate as many as 200-300 fish can come through there in any single day.  Thats pretty good odds.  Its a spot where you are pretty much guaranteed to encounter fish.

Its not the type of steelheading, or fishing in general, which I enjoy.  But I understand it.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

refrigeration86

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »

like everyone else has saind. just drive up river and walk into somewhere you can call your own

Davidp

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »

Just dont walk into a place close to a forest like i did last year 2 hours into my fishing trip a family of bears came out from no were.. BE CAREFUL

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:44:01 PM »

I occasionally will fish the canal during steel season.  I stay in my usual routine and keep moving down river. 

But I understand the method behind the madness you see down by KWB. There are the obvious reasons like easy access and more of a social experience.  Plus there is the fact that the canal can be extremely productive if you hit it right.  Certain conditions and timing with the tides will consistently produce fish.  These fish are fresh and aggressive.  They haven't seen hundreds of other presentations.

On top of that, if you walk over the KWB, you'll see that the fish basically funnel through those two bridge pillars.  Now these are just rough estimates but lets say the Vedder gets 10,000 steelies between Dec-April.  So 10,000 fish over 5 months = 2,000 per month.  So on average 66 fish a day pass through the 20ft slot between the pillars.  Depending on conditions and time of the run, I'd estimate as many as 200-300 fish can come through there in any single day.  Thats pretty good odds.  Its a spot where you are pretty much guaranteed to encounter fish.

Its not the type of steelheading, or fishing in general, which I enjoy.  But I understand it.

I highly doubt the vedder is getting anywhere near 10,000 fish right now. lol at 2000 each month. if there was 2000 fish in the river on boxing day it would be retarded. those fish at kw are sitting there all day getting hammered on, fresh fish arent coming into that pool until dark. and they certainly arent moving out of it in the daytime. the most fish ive ever seen under that bridge is probably around 40 fish and that was a couple years back.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

mr.p

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:18:44 AM »

Those were just estimates.  and obviously the number of fish coming through increases, peaks, then decreases as the run progresses.  On Boxing Day, i'd expect about 200-300 fish in the river.

And I know fish do move in and out of there as I have witnessed pods of steelies come in, sit, move around, and move up.  Again...all depends on the water conditions.  Lets say its been low and clear for 2 weeks.  Fish will hold near the mouth.  Then we get a big rain and the river jumps a bit.  Those fish are going to run up river. So you may have 2 weeks of like 10-20 fish coming through per day/night.  Then you have a few days of huge numbers.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 09:59:08 PM »

Those were just estimates.  and obviously the number of fish coming through increases, peaks, then decreases as the run progresses.  On Boxing Day, i'd expect about 200-300 fish in the river.

And I know fish do move in and out of there as I have witnessed pods of steelies come in, sit, move around, and move up.  Again...all depends on the water conditions.  Lets say its been low and clear for 2 weeks.  Fish will hold near the mouth.  Then we get a big rain and the river jumps a bit.  Those fish are going to run up river. So you may have 2 weeks of like 10-20 fish coming through per day/night.  Then you have a few days of huge numbers.

now that made a lot more sense than your first post. im sure the 200-300 fish at kw had people scrambling at there keyboards to get to the river  :D and as far as numbers, I would wager this river is seeing half the 10,000 you figure
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:00:47 PM by kingpin »
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.