Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LOST: GPS/Handheld Radio on Vedder  (Read 7387 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
LOST: GPS/Handheld Radio on Vedder
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:43:10 PM »

Posting this for a buddy.

December 31st my friend and I were fishing the Vedder from Lickman up to near the top of the river. We made multiple stops throughout the day and at some point his Garmin Rino GPS/Handheld radio fell out of his pocket. If anyone found it, please send me an email (using the button under my picture) and I'll give details on the model and arrange a pick up.

Thanks,
Dion L.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: LOST: GPS/Handheld Radio on Vedder
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »

Posting this for a buddy.

December 31st my friend and I were fishing the Vedder from Lickman up to near the top of the river. We made multiple stops throughout the day and at some point his Garmin Rino GPS/Handheld radio fell out of his pocket. If anyone found it, please send me an email (using the button under my picture) and I'll give details on the model and arrange a pick up.

Thanks,
Dion L.

Can't you get find out where the gps got lost by reading the location on the gps?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »

the other GPS had to be on, and within radio range to "poll" its location. We drove around trying to do so, but it didn't work.

tnt

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »

depending on the make if you have the serial # you can call the manufacturer and they can track it whether the batteries were dead or not...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I'll  see if my buddy wrote the serial# down. I'll also make sure to write the number down for mine.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »

depending on the make if you have the serial # you can call the manufacturer and they can track it whether the batteries were dead or not...

I'm afraid you're out of luck here...  Handheld GPS units do not transmit either their location or serial number even if the batteries are working. GPS units are receivers.

The Garmin Rino is a bit of an exception in that it will transmit it's location when you press the transmit button.

Unfortunately unless the batteries are working and the transmit button is being held down there is no way that you would electronically be able to locate the rhino.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:55:59 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »

You are able to "poll" the unit's location if it is on and if it has that function turned on (which it was). I tried polling it but it was either turned off or out of range.