Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: epoxy minnows  (Read 8544 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
epoxy minnows
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »

i was wondering how to tie the epoxy minnows for trout thanks for the help. fly
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

fly fisher

Re: epoxy minnows
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »

Google it and you will find lots of sites with step by step instructions.
i have and i haven't found anything that would work

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »

i have and i haven't found anything that would work

::)

I just opened google, and typed in "how to tie epoxy minnows"

The very first page was a good pattern by Phil Rowley, with step by step directions and pictures.

Following that were many other similar write up and pattern on the same google search page

fly fisher

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »

::)

I just opened google, and typed in "how to tie epoxy minnows"

The very first page was a good pattern by Phil Rowley, with step by step directions and pictures.

Following that were many other similar write up and pattern on the same google search page
i am new to tying flies and i need a little more explanation.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »

Hey fly fisher...

depending on what kind of minnow pattern you are tying there are a number of different ways to do it, but they are all quite simple.  I'll assume you are tying fry patterns. 

For a very simple epoxy minnow pattern, tie up a silver bodied (you can use mylar or wrap braided tinsel) fly with a mallard flank, marabou or bucktail back and tail on it.   It's basically tied on over the fly at the front and back.  Form a small head with the thread and put some stick on eyes on either side.  Prepare some 5 minute clear epoxy ...mix it at least a minute prior to applying... and put a layer of epoxy over the head and body of the fly in a thin coat.  If you use too much your fly will end up with funky proportions.  Some guys use a turner but I find if I use just enough epoxy (and not too much) that I can just stick the fly in a piece of styro and rotate it every 30 seconds or so until it gets tacky and forms up enough to just leave it to dry on its own.  You can get fancy with them but IMO you don't have to...simple flies work just fine.

a few tips....

use clean toothpics each time to apply epoxy. 
don't try to get too many flies out of each epoxy batch.  Once its "sticky" it's done...you'll just make bad flies.
tie up a bunch of flies prior to using the epoxy.
watch the head area, don't apply too much epoxy here as it can seal up the eye on your hook if you're not careful.
tie up your flies in one to one and a half inch lengths.
tie a number of each color.
tie sparse!
be prepared for some violent takes :)

Not too sure what's so difficult about helping a beginner, guys.  Epoxy can be a pain to work with.

fly fisher

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »

Hey fly fisher...

depending on what kind of minnow pattern you are tying there are a number of different ways to do it, but they are all quite simple.  I'll assume you are tying fry patterns. 

For a very simple epoxy minnow pattern, tie up a silver bodied (you can use mylar or wrap braided tinsel) fly with a mallard flank, marabou or bucktail back and tail on it.   It's basically tied on over the fly at the front and back.  Form a small head with the thread and put some stick on eyes on either side.  Prepare some 5 minute clear epoxy ...mix it at least a minute prior to applying... and put a layer of epoxy over the head and body of the fly in a thin coat.  If you use too much your fly will end up with funky proportions.  Some guys use a turner but I find if I use just enough epoxy (and not too much) that I can just stick the fly in a piece of styro and rotate it every 30 seconds or so until it gets tacky and forms up enough to just leave it to dry on its own.  You can get fancy with them but IMO you don't have to...simple flies work just fine.

a few tips....

use clean toothpics each time to apply epoxy. 
don't try to get too many flies out of each epoxy batch.  Once its "sticky" it's done...you'll just make bad flies.
tie up a bunch of flies prior to using the epoxy.
watch the head area, don't apply too much epoxy here as it can seal up the eye on your hook if you're not careful.
tie up your flies in one to one and a half inch lengths.
tie a number of each color.
tie sparse!
be prepared for some violent takes :)

Not too sure what's so difficult about helping a beginner, guys.  Epoxy can be a pain to work with.

thanks for the help marmot i will try as soon as a gather the materials.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »

FYI this is the phil rowley pattern these guys are likely talking about.  It works well and they are quick to tie.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/rowley/philsbox/epoxy/minnow.phtml

*edit* don't overdo the angel hair!!!! :)  I have a few "disco" fry that are the result of liberal application of angel hair.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:31:41 PM by marmot »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 12:38:50 AM »

or instead of the angel hair try using Pearl flashabou along the back, only 2-3 strans will be plenty  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »

Here's a very helpful instructional by Ian Colin James on how to build one of his more popular epoxy minnows: http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/fly-tying.html
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...