Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Vedder vs the Stamp  (Read 14807 times)

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
Re: The Vedder vs the Stamp
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »

What is the reasoning for air spawning? Any fish that has already been spawned by the hatchery, isnt in the greatest shape any more. I cant think of a reason for it to go back into the river other than "nutrients to the river".

As I said, the main reason is public perception.  The other reason would be that some of these fish could potentially survive, leave the river and return to spawn again.  Many of the fish spawned by the hatchery are in great shape post spawn and there would be no reason why they wouldn't have as much chance as a "naturally" spawning fish to leave the river and recuperate.

Raising hatchery production would certainly ease off angling pressure on the C-V system, but most likely not too significantly? Shore access keeps the demand down I think, however It'd be great for anglers who have access to a boat.

Shore access doesn't seem to hamper all the anglers swarming to the Stave in the fall months for the chum run.  I believe that the potential is there to draw anglers to this river with increased opportunity.  It may not be yours or my idea of idyllic steelhead fishing but for many anglers it may be what they're looking for.  If your average steelheader has a chance to hook several fish a day, closer to home, I think he would take it.

A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »

You bet if people can hook several fish per day at the Stave, it will take the pressure off the Vedde for sure. And there may be a lot more steelhead stamps sold. I would buy an inflatable.  ;D There you have it. Its all good for the average steelheaders and the economy. Bring on the fish.  :D

fishstick

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »

as far as air spawning goes, why not?, does it make sense to kill wild fish (which are used for broodstock) when they can survive to return even in low % in an era where wild fish are in such bad shape. air spawning is also used on cutthroat which aren't fecund (as far as I've read) until they've spawned a few times, thus making it kind of stupid to kill them, anyways a fish released air spawned that promptly dies still fertilizes the river. The vedder river is and continues to be there to draw fishing pressure away from smaller more fragile rivers, lets hope it continues that way, as I've said before there's a hell of a lot more fish in the vedder than most others
so what's the problem?

fishstick

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »

the stave has a poor fishery for a reason, mainly because of the dam, dumping more hatchery fish isn't going to change a thing, again why would you want to direct more fishing pressure on to smaller more messed up rivers when the vedder works fine as a high pressure high return river

bluesteele

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »

The Vedder is our prime steelhead river in the Lower Mainland where the population is most concentrated. Yet the steellhead fishing is dismal compared to the Stamp. Why should this be? Fishery folks, how do you justify such a poor stocking of steelhead in the Vedder compared to the Stamp? We are not even trying to compare to American rivers where 20+ hookups per day is common. Most Vedder steelheaders will be happy with 1 or 2 hookups per day. It is a shame that fishing reports on the Vedder steelhead are consistently dismal. And yet the Stamp, the prime steelhead river of the island, seems to be full of steelheads. Ironnogin just reports that 25 steelheads by 4 rods in 3 hours. It makes me wonder why Vedder steelheaders often go skunked repeatedly. Why does it have to be like this? I mean, if the population density in the Lower Mainland reflects in the bigger number of licensed fishermen here, why don't fishery folks put more resources in stocking the most important steelhead and salmon river of the Lower Mainland where the population is? If the Vedder can have steelhead fishing like the Stamp or even better like the American rivers, I don't mind paying for a special stamp or tag for the privilege to fish the Vedder (much like a classified water concept). What do you guys think?

Hey I'm all for pumping up the chedder  ;D I would even buy a special tag and not fish it. Just to keep everyone away from the honeyholes LoL...
I think we ought to  pump the Squish full of steelies as well. Big river lots of road access... Fill er up and bonk bonk bonk !!!!

Bluesteele  ::)

drh

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2010, 11:31:10 PM »

Steelhawk I we, are hoping your not planning on leaving are you? :'(

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »

I agree with drh. Some members miss your postings on steelhead fishing reports. So Steelhawk perhaps just stay away from the controversial subjects in the discussion sections and focus on the steelhead reports where your presence and experience is most appreciated. Stay for those who appreciate your contributions in the forum.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 01:59:26 AM »

Wow, been away watching all the awesome Olympic games and cheering our Canadian athletes. That hockey game on the last day is such a privilege to watch it and witness history. Been there at Robson Sunday night to join in the big celebration party. I have never seen so many happy people in one place and yet so peaceful. We were singing 'Oh Canada' non-stop. Vancouver is a great place to be. So proud to be a Canadian (though I don't trust the government in general).  ;D  Well, if they can continue to support our athletes, they may get my vote of confidence. At least they do something right there.  ;)

Glad that Rodney is gracious enough not to delete my account.  Like I said before, he has been a gracious and knowledgeable host and run a great fishing site. Thank you guys for saying the kind words. This is such a nice forum, particularly for newer fishermen as Rodney sure imparts so much valuable information to them, and it is here some of us who have more experiences can share to help out our LML newer fishermen. Perhaps it is a good suggestion that I stay out from all the hot debate subjects on flossing and government, and just focus my contribution in sharing some fishing reports and steelheading experiences. That is where I can help and enjoy at the same time. So I will be back to file some fishing reports soon.

Go Canada Go!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:04:42 AM by Steelhawk »