Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Vedder vs the Stamp  (Read 14806 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
The Vedder vs the Stamp
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:23:22 AM »

The Vedder is our prime steelhead river in the Lower Mainland where the population is most concentrated. Yet the steellhead fishing is dismal compared to the Stamp. Why should this be? Fishery folks, how do you justify such a poor stocking of steelhead in the Vedder compared to the Stamp? We are not even trying to compare to American rivers where 20+ hookups per day is common. Most Vedder steelheaders will be happy with 1 or 2 hookups per day. It is a shame that fishing reports on the Vedder steelhead are consistently dismal. And yet the Stamp, the prime steelhead river of the island, seems to be full of steelheads. Ironnogin just reports that 25 steelheads by 4 rods in 3 hours. It makes me wonder why Vedder steelheaders often go skunked repeatedly. Why does it have to be like this? I mean, if the population density in the Lower Mainland reflects in the bigger number of licensed fishermen here, why don't fishery folks put more resources in stocking the most important steelhead and salmon river of the Lower Mainland where the population is? If the Vedder can have steelhead fishing like the Stamp or even better like the American rivers, I don't mind paying for a special stamp or tag for the privilege to fish the Vedder (much like a classified water concept). What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:25:12 PM by Steelhawk »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: The Vedder vs the Stamp
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:21:58 AM »

We have better Carp,Bass and Bluegill fishing.  ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:52:58 AM »

The Vedder is our prime steelhead river in the Lower Mainland where the population is most concentrated. Yet the steellhead fishing is dismal compared to the Stamp. Why should this be? Fishery folks, how do you justify such a poor stocking of steelhead compared to the Stamp. We are not even trying to compared to American rivers. It is a shame that fishing reports on the Vedder steelhead are consistently dismal. And yet the Stamp seem to be full of steelheads. Ironnogin just reports that 25 steelheads by 4 rods in 3 hours. It makes me wonder why Vedder steelheaders often go skunked repeatedly. Why does it have to be like this? I mean, if the population density reflects in the bigger number of licensed fishermen in the Lower Mainland, why don't fishery folks put more resources in stocking the most important steelhead and salmon river of the Lower Mainland where the population is? If the Vedder can have steelhead fishing like the Stamp or even better like the American rivers, I don't mind paying special stamp or tag for the privilege to fish the Vedder (much like a classified water concept). Why do you guys think?

An increase in hatchery production of steelhead on the Vedder would be nice if it is determined that it is to the benefit to the stock and anglers but lets not forget about the Capilano and Seymour rivers whose steelhead populations are dismally low and located so close to the city.  It would be nice to stock these rivers to provide more options when it comes to fishing thus dispersing anglers and improving the fishing experience.  Especially on the Cap since before the Dam was built it sustained one of the best steelhead runs around but now the runs are dismally low due to lack of spawning habitat and drastic river fluctuations.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:59:41 AM by Eagleye »

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:00:37 AM »

there is more accessible water on the vedder , and more fisherman by FAR. there are jets running the river getting access to all these fish on the stamp. the stamp fish also come in earlier and there are summers with them. Iron Nog was fishing the falls and the fish pile up in there, summers and winters, some have been in there a while, it seems now they all race to get to the falls. Besides the falls or in a jet, your tough to find a lot of access on foot and numbers can be similar to the vedder. the stamp hatchery pumps out a lot more hatchery fish than the vedder. the size of the fish also seems to be smaller too. there can be days on the vedder where you can hit 20 fish between a few guys but not as many in recent years.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »

Number of hatchery juvenile steelhead released.

Year     Chilliwack River     Stamp River      Somass River

It's a pity that some don't bother to research before whining year after year.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:40:32 PM by Rodney »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:57:51 PM »

It's a pity that some don't bother to research before whining year after year.

aYup!  :D

Sorry if I gave the impression the particular day I posted about was somehow "normal" over here! Anything BUT!
Just one of those times when the stars, for whatever reason, all aligned.
This year alone I have been out a dozen times for nada. And I know well a handful of good rods that report the same and worse. Don't hear much about that in the way of reports - few bother to give notice it was poor or dead fishing. Myself included btw.
Many day I've seen loads of Folks working it here, and generally have a pleasant chat. Most report limited success. And most wish there were "more to go around" translating to "more releases".
Nothing different I suppose than what one would here on the Vedder, including the "I wish there were fewer fishermen" line.

It's steelheading. Success is often a tough and elusive proposition. But it VERY much does make the "good" days stick out in your mind. Guess that's why I and my Buddies continue to pound the bush and banks, even after multiple days of no-show.

Don't really know if the answer is more releases. And even if it were, in these days of funding rollbacks, that ain't too likely to be forthcoming. The US situation is different than ours in that they pump massive dollars into their production. Simply not large enough on the political radar to make that happen here methinks.

So, guess what I'm saying is ENJOY what we have!  ;D
Things could be MUCH worse!

Cheers,
Nog

fishstick

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »

LOL, complaining about a river that recieves 90,000-120,000 steelhead smolts a year?, you should try fishing pretty much any other river in the lower mainland, the season is just getting going, perhaps the lack of 20 fish days should give you pause to wonder what is going on beyond hatchery plants, because there is one hell of a lot more wrong with todays rivers than this. There is also the underdisscussed, underrated quality of luck in steelheading, just because lots of guys aren't catching fish doesn't mean there is no fish, one only needs to look at this past coho season for that. you guys better not knock what you got because I can tell you it's pretty dire in a lot of other rivers beyond the stamp and vedder. There aren't many rivers that see returns on that scale and I'm pretty sure there wouldnt be near the opportunity to fish for this fine species if it weren't for the vedder particularly taking pressure off of the smaller systems, seriously there were only 49 steelhead back to the little campbell all of last year, and you guys think that lack of 20 fish days is a problem?
I think a little perspective is in order as to how lucky we are as fisherman to have rivers like the vedder

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 09:33:07 PM »

A few years back I got 36 steelies in 2days guided.
The year after that I got 2 for 2 days guided.
Gotta be lucky to be lucky.
Thats why its called fishin and not catchin.
Keep casting and take the bad days with the good days.
Nog... a few more guests this weekend ;)
Hope it works out.
Rando
The Fishin Musician

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »

In the States, the hatcheries are funded by the dams. Their governments forced the power companies to actually put some money back into the rivers that they affected (not sure why BC Hydro has gotten off scott-free?).  They are pumping out millions of steelhead, not 100,000 like here in BC.  The province has a "wild" fish first policy on our Lower Mainland rivers, that's why the hatchery numbers aren't huge going into the Cap or Seymour, there are still some wild fish left. In general, hatchery steelhead in Region 2 come from wild parents (there are exceptions - which I'm getting to), if there aren't many wild fish - there won't be many hatchery fish produced... Unfortunately there isn't enough money (see Olympics/health care/education) to actually do any assessment of our steelhead populations. In essence, the only data the province gathers anymore is the punch card that is mailed out randomly. As far as I know, the Seymour is the only river that is float counted anymore and there used to be many done every year (ie: Vedder, Chehalis, Alouette, Coquihalla, etc...).  In my opinion this is a shame but I'm not quite sure what we could do about it...

Now, the only river in our area that has actually been deemed a "hatchery" river - no remaining wild population - is the Stave.  Broodstock is collected from hatchery females returning to the Stave crossed with milt from wild Vedder males.  This run was started using donor Vedder river hatchery winter runs and as such they can still be used for brood.  If you believe that all it takes to have great steelhead fishing is to produce more hatchery steelhead to catch then this would be your opportunity.  The Stave currently receives about 23,000 smolts each year - not very many.  The opportunity is there to push that number up significantly.

My questions are:  - Do you fish for steelhead at the Stave? Why or why not?
                            - Would you fish for steelhead at the Stave if you had a good chance at catching fish?

Judging by the number of people pounding this river for Chum, I would guess that there is a lot of potential to direct some of the pressure from the other steelhead systems in the region to this "hatchery" river at this time of year.  It's definitely closer to home for many people who currently leave the city to hunt for steelhead.   Let's hear what people have to say: 

- Do you have any other ideas for improving steelhead fishing in the Lower Mainland?
                            - Are more hatchery fish really the answer?
                            - Do we really want more "combat steelheading" which may be the result of increased success?

A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 11:10:29 PM »

what most do not understand is the two completely different locations of these systems. one of the west coast of the rock, the other west coast of the mainland. now already, the stamp has the advantage being where it is located, over the vedder due to the fact that the vedder fish must travel further to reach the river. put into account these two systems are not only in very different locations, but are also completely different physically, and contain different fish. Access is hard on the stamp, creating less opportunities for the shore anglers as opposed to the vedder. Not only that, but the amount of people the fish the vedder compared to the stamp, just cant be compared. most people clunk hatchery fish anyways so theres another reason. A barrier for those stamp fish is the falls itself. Lots of winter fish will not go past, and just hang out in the falls and slowly drop back, creating even more opportunities at them. why is the vedder so busy over the stamp? population. not that hard to figure out here people.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »

In the States, the hatcheries are funded by the dams. Their governments forced the power companies to actually put some money back into the rivers that they affected (not sure why BC Hydro has gotten off scott-free?).  They are pumping out millions of steelhead, not 100,000 like here in BC.  The province has a "wild" fish first policy on our Lower Mainland rivers, that's why the hatchery numbers aren't huge going into the Cap or Seymour, there are still some wild fish left. In general, hatchery steelhead in Region 2 come from wild parents (there are exceptions - which I'm getting to), if there aren't many wild fish - there won't be many hatchery fish produced... Unfortunately there isn't enough money (see Olympics/health care/education) to actually do any assessment of our steelhead populations. In essence, the only data the province gathers anymore is the punch card that is mailed out randomly. As far as I know, the Seymour is the only river that is float counted anymore and there used to be many done every year (ie: Vedder, Chehalis, Alouette, Coquihalla, etc...).  In my opinion this is a shame but I'm not quite sure what we could do about it...

Now, the only river in our area that has actually been deemed a "hatchery" river - no remaining wild population - is the Stave.  Broodstock is collected from hatchery females returning to the Stave crossed with milt from wild Vedder males.  This run was started using donor Vedder river hatchery winter runs and as such they can still be used for brood.  If you believe that all it takes to have great steelhead fishing is to produce more hatchery steelhead to catch then this would be your opportunity.  The Stave currently receives about 23,000 smolts each year - not very many.  The opportunity is there to push that number up significantly.

My questions are:  - Do you fish for steelhead at the Stave? Why or why not?
                            - Would you fish for steelhead at the Stave if you had a good chance at catching fish?

Judging by the number of people pounding this river for Chum, I would guess that there is a lot of potential to direct some of the pressure from the other steelhead systems in the region to this "hatchery" river at this time of year.  It's definitely closer to home for many people who currently leave the city to hunt for steelhead.   Let's hear what people have to say:  

- Do you have any other ideas for improving steelhead fishing in the Lower Mainland?
                            - Are more hatchery fish really the answer?
                            - Do we really want more "combat steelheading" which may be the result of increased success?

Thanks for the analysis and thank you Rod for posting the figures. I apologize for not checking the figures out. But there is no need for verbal attack of a good intent. Am I wining for myself?  NO sir. I am still eating sashimi of my 15lber. 1 fish in 4 trips is not bad for me and there will be a few more fish before I am done this season. I don't need that many sashimi fish. I am voicing this more for the average joe or newbie fishermen. Why they have to face such dismal fishing compared to the old days? So the two systems are both bad, and nothing like the old days in stocking. But does this make it okay? Why so negative of some one voicing a valid concern. The number of empty trips for even good steelheaders is mounting years after years at the Vedder. Back in the 80's and early 90's, filling one's card is not unusual even for weekender Vancouverites. This is the thing of the past. May be I should ask why the Canadian steelheaders are often skunked compared to the Americans. I posted in fishbc.com also the same concern and all I met are scorns and apathy. Is that the attitude of us Canadian steelheaders? When even voicing the concern of the dismal fishing in the Vedder is met with criticism within the fishing brotherhood, what can we expect from our government officials? Expect more cuts in years to come until it may not be worthwhile to pursue fishing for the average joe fishermen. Leave the rivers to the elists who just don't want to see another souls ,fish or no fish.

To answer your question bedeko, I think the decision should be left to the fishermen on enhancement or not. The government should sell fishing tags for specific system and the fund should be used to enhance those systems. Those willing to pay the price to go for better fishing, be it combat fishing, will do so by buying the stamp/tag to fish the system. Those who prefer solitude in non-enhanced systems will get their space. So it is fair for all. That is something which can be contemplated if we want better fishing under limited government funding. If I can fish coho in the Cap like the fishing I saw in the Expo 86 years, I won't mind paying the $ extra to get the stamp and privlege to fish it. This is like buying a tag'/stamp to fish classified water for visitors. It is better to have some fishing choices to make then seeing more and more cuts and less and less fishing results. At least I can make that choice to fish or not to fish.  ;D Another alternative is to have the government forcing Hydro and forest logging companies to pay up for ruining all these urban rivers which used to have terrific fishing. This way we have more fund for enhancement. Isn't that the reason for setting up hatcheries in the first place?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:17:22 AM by Steelhawk »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »

Nog... a few more guests this weekend ;)
Hope it works out.

Me too Buddy, for their sake! Thanks for the well-wishes!  ;D

SteelHawk - I apologize if I came off a little flippant in my original reply. Of course you have reason to be concerned with the results and reports you note. A few thoughts:

I do not think that the runs this year are late. In fact, most of the steelhead runs to the Island were early this year. We have witnessed amongst the earliest spawning of summer runs ever seen in the local system, and are now finding the odd winter run already running ripe. Couple that with reports from the more remote systems of early arrivals and the nearness of those fish to the spawn, and methinks we are looking at a rather early scenario coast-wide. How much of that applies to LML flows I am uncertain, but gut instinct would suggest their timing would likely be close to what we're seeing here.

Perhaps there is some problem related to the at-sea survival of last season's "missing" sockeye. If the steelhead that leave the Vedder follow the same migration route, just perhaps they are meeting with the same bottleneck out there that caused the sockeye population to nearly collapse.

Perhaps there was some other factor related to the hatchery and/or condition of the releases that should have fueled this year's returns.

Perhaps the amount of heavy pressure over a good many years have "educated" the Vedder fish to the point they no longer are aggressive once they enter the fresh water.

Only time will tell with all of those possibilities. It would be VERY interesting to determine just how many do return this year. Again I do not follow what happens over there very closely, so am unaware if any attempts are undertaken to determine those numbers. Can anyone enlighten??

Steelhead are largely in trouble pretty well coast-wide. Yes, there are exceptions, but that is exactly what they are: exceptions. Most of the "wild" systems are facing multiple problems such as those identified by Ian above. The only systems that consistently produce any real numbers have, for the past decade, largely been those operating under a hatchery augmentation regime. It would take some pretty determined and serious effort to turn these trends around. And, as I previously noted, the political will simply doesn't exist to do so. How to change that I do not know. Many (myself included) have tried various approaches, unfortunately at the end of the day with little result. And a great many have become so frustrated with banging their head against that wall over and over they have simply walked away in disgust. Walking away is obviously not the answer, but I do understand well the frustration.

You may have something here regarding increasing the user fees on particular systems. This could only work with the cooperation of the majority of anglers who fish those waters in conjunction with MOE. Even were such blanket endorsement to be secured, methinks you'd have to keep a constant and wary eye on the ProvGov - were they ever to see the additional funding this created as some sort of "cash cow" (and there have been MANY examples of this over time) in all likelihood they would strip away the well-intended funding for their own private agendas. But it is a thought worth pursuing. I'd suggest starting with your local MOE Biologists to determine just what the maximum number of smolts that the system could support might be, then the hatcheries to see just how feasible attaining that number might be. The prospect of bringing the "many thousands" you speak of on-line is a tad more daunting, but could be initiated with a well thought out publicity campaign. Given the Vedder is already a hatchery system, MOE may go along with increasing the number of releases, especially so were the costs to be borne by anglers rather than their own dwindling sources of funding.

Mighty big steps, but then again anything worth doing with regards to fishery resources pretty well is. Personally I do not think we will ever see seasons that are consistently "stellar". The deck is far to stacked against the steelhead at this point. Of course I hope I am wrong in this belief. And just perhaps in the case of the Vedder, you may have a starting point to begin to address the overall picture.

I am far to busy myself to take on the tasks outlined above, and far to removed from the LML as to be effective were I to try. Perhaps amongst those many anglers that ply the Vedder you will find not only support, but capable allies for the fight to come, for fight it will surely be. If and when it comes to addressing the overall picture for steelhead, I would gladly step up to bat again and help in any little way that I might be able. The forehead may be bruised, but it isn't broken just yet!

Good Luck with your investigations and hopefully eventual actions. Feel free to call on me anytime if there is something I can add from afar...

Cheers,
Nog

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:58:01 PM »

100,000 or so steelhead are put into the Vedder and 1%, maybe 2% come back,   There will be attrition all along the way but I wonder if something inexpensive might yield results.   Other rivers have been enhanced by simply thowing a few sacks of fertilizer into the headwaters each  year.    Our fisheries biologists are well aware of this.   Has it been considered, tried or rejected  for the Chilliwack-Vedder?   If it is just the cost in the way, lets pony up the few thousand $$ that would take.  It could be a good project for a club.

My club, Vancouver Angling and Game is looking for a cause.   We don't have many members or much money but a cause might change that.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 02:46:08 PM »

Great post IronNoggin.  One thing you may not know is MOE does not pay $.01 to raise these juvenile steelhead at Chilliwack hatchery.  THe entire cost, an estimated $100k yearly, is paid by DFO.  It is my understanding DFO is getting a bit pissed with paying this cost so I would be surprised if they would endorse an increased steelhead production.

I totally agree a user fee to fish the Vedder- Chilliwack is the only way to save what is left of this river and it's fish.

VAGAbond, a fertilization program is already underway on the Chilliwack. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »

But there is no need for verbal attack of a good intent.

If my intent is to verbally attack, then I'd be questioning your intelligence for keep repeating the same thing without addressing the facts that are used to challenge your speculations. What is the point of posting the same rant in three different threads before starting a new thread of its own? It is poor posting ettiquette, just to get your point across without consideration of other users.

Repetition does not make one's point more correct.

Unlike IronNoggin who has the patience, I find it counter-productive to have a debate on something that is based on speculations and misinformation. It happens each year, Fraser sockeye, steelhead, instead of doing some background research on what actually happens, you come back with the same rhetorics each year, spreading what I would consider as propaganda among the so-called "fishing brotherhood" against those who have the background to manage the resource, just because you're not catching fish or allowed to catch what you want.

What would motivate me to expend an hour to address the false information is that people who are willing to learn on the website would walk away without being misinformed. So here goes.

Although funding by the Ministry of Environment changes from year to year, why people would keep saying "there's another funding cut" without providing numbers baffles me.

Despite of whatever cut people are suggesting, based on the juvenile steelhead stocking, it has not changed at all since the 80s with the exception of 83 and 84.

And every year I hear about the vedder hatchery struggling with getting enough brude stock.

What struggle? The Chilliwack/Vedder Hatchery has had met its broodstock target each year. The collection is typicall put on hold halfway through the season, to avoid having too many early fish or too little late fish collected. So far this season, 30 fish have been collected and we are less than a month into the collection program.

So why is this year's catch, particularly the wild capture rate, seemingly poorer than other years when the number of hatchery juveniles released has remains pretty consistent? Why would funding cut influence this return? It doesn't. Flood mortality during its brood year.

Pumping more hatchery fish into the river to accommodate those who have been paying the so-called increasing licence fee (by the way, licence fee has not increased in the last five years, it should)? Believe it or not, fish belong to the people of Canada, not just those in the fishing brotherhood. Biologists have the mandate to preserve genetic diversity of steelhead population in each watershed. Is it responsible for anglers to lobby for an increase of Chilliwack hatchery production at a risk of losing that diversity when we in fact do not have an estimate of the wild population. For what? Just so you can catch multiple fish like the good ol' days? Why should there be an expectation of 20+ steelhead per trip like what one would expect during the salmon season? The quality of the steelheading experience might be determined by quantity for some, but most would agree that they do it because the experience is different to what one may see during the salmon season. Do I want to target steelhead in the Chilliwack River as what I would experience at the put and take lake? No, but apparently some do. Slightly more fish would be nice, but have some consideration on the resource rather than yourself for once.

There are many other natural, uncontrollable factors that influence the recent decline of returns. The biggest one would be the unpredictable Pacific Ocean. People should keep in mind that the condition is cyclical, not a constant downward trend. Historic catch data of herring and other planktonic feeders from both sides of the Pacific have illustrated that. While it can be unfavourable for anadromous salmonids, it can be just as favourable in years to come. During years of low returns, shouldn't we be placing more emphasis on ensuring the survival of the remaining steelhead population instead of worrying about how little we are catching?

So, about those funding cuts and selfish fish managers.

100,000 or so steelhead are put into the Vedder and 1%, maybe 2% come back,   There will be attrition all along the way but I wonder if something inexpensive might yield results.   Other rivers have been enhanced by simply thowing a few sacks of fertilizer into the headwaters each  year.    Our fisheries biologists are well aware of this.   Has it been considered, tried or rejected  for the Chilliwack-Vedder?   If it is just the cost in the way, lets pony up the few thousand $$ that would take.  It could be a good project for a club.

My club, Vancouver Angling and Game is looking for a cause.   We don't have many members or much money but a cause might change that.

VAGAbond, the Steelhead Society of BC would be the appropriate group to ask this. You can email Jason at jtonelli@pacificangler.ca as he is the president. Locally, the Chilliwack River Action Committee and the Fraser Valley Salmon Society are the two groups that have done projects on the Vedder River. You can contact David Lamson at dflamson@shaw.ca for the Chilliwack River Action Committee. Chris can answer your questions for the Fraser Valley Salmon Society.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:23:29 PM by Rodney »