Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the point of using a non-fixed float while drift fishing?  (Read 7231 times)

fishfinder

Re: What is the point of using a non-fixed float while drift fishing?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 08:24:48 AM »

When you break off a toothpick inside a drennan it is there for good.

You can buy a thin gauge wire/rod from Home Depot or Rona that'll slide into the Drennan tubing to get the toothpick out. It is about 2 or 3 feet in length and costs a few dollars. Just cut it down to about 8 to 10 inches in length. When you go to the store bring along the Drennan so you can find the ideal diameter wire/rod. Let the toothpick dry out and it'll slide out with ease. You can use it on any other float that has a toothpick stuck in it. Works great and it'll let you use the save you lots of money on Drennans and other floats.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »

at times I like to take the float rig off and cast a spoon instead so I don't want to keep removing the stoppers and putting new ones back on.

True enough if you are using bottom stoppers, however I use only a top stopper which stays on the line all season long. I guess you need to find your own risk tolerance for losing slip floats.  A low tolerance means  greater control measures, more inconvenience, and less flexibiity.

I'm asking why use a slip float with stoppers, effectively fixing it to the line anyway instead of using a fixed float with no stoppers.
The bottom stoppers are optional and you only need them if you want to minimize the risk of losing a float. Even with them, your slip float still has plenty of room for movement to give you the advantage of slip over fxed float.

azafai

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »

I am just learning here.
What about putting the bottom stopper in and adjusting it somewhere between the weight and the float??
That way you don’t have a fixed float and also do not lose it so easily.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

I prefer sliding floats bobber stops and occasionally use a stop below but I am often too lazy to put the lower one on.

I don't find much advantage to a sliding float on the Chilliwack because it is mostly fast and shallow and the point made about lack of control is correct.    Sliding floats with bobber stops come into their own on rivers with deep pools with slow current  like the Nitinat and parts of the Stamp where you can cast a short line but fish the bottom of the pool.

fish bonk

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »

Try using a regular foam dink float and wrap a elastic band around the float and your main line. Very fast to adjust for depth.And very cheap and simple.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 08:07:28 AM »

I stopped buying drennans and now only use the gray 35g foam DNE's... The float stops are cheap so I use them but I do keep a sack of toothpicks as back up