Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the point of using a non-fixed float while drift fishing?  (Read 7233 times)

jon5hill

I am curious why so many prefer to use non-fixed floats with float stoppers on the river instead of the conventional fixed options.

Every person I've seen on the river with a drennan, foam, or balsa float that is not fixed, fixes it there anyways with float stoppers. 1 float stop above, 1 or 2 below to stop it from sliding around.

tnt

Re: What is the point of using a non-fixed float while drift fishing?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:06 AM »

When you break off a toothpick inside a drennan it is there for good.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

jon5hill

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »

Alright, so it's pretty easy to do that as opposed to adding float stoppers. I can see some semblance of a point now.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »

I am curious why so many prefer to use non-fixed floats with float stoppers on the river instead of the conventional fixed options.

Every person I've seen on the river with a drennan, foam, or balsa float that is not fixed, fixes it there anyways with float stoppers. 1 float stop above, 1 or 2 below to stop it from sliding around.

Easier to make adjustments when you use a toothpick in the float's centre pipe.  Moved from a deep run to a shallow run?  No problem, just slide the float shallower and re-pin with the toothpick.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »

Main reason is you don't have to cast the full length of leader from float to hook. The float sits at the weight when I cast but sits at the bobber stop during the drift.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »

Main reason is you don't have to cast the full length of leader from float to hook. The float sits at the weight when I cast but sits at the bobber stop during the drift.

I stopped fishing like this because if you break off above the weight but below the float you loose your $8 drennan. It also hampers your ability to hold back on your drift and pull your presentation in behind boulders and other obstacles when fishing technical runs while still maintaining depth.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 03:14:46 PM »

When you break off a toothpick inside a drennan it is there for good.

Nope  ;D
I just straighten out a paper clip, works like a charm, have bumed about 5 floats off people that thought they were shot because of the toothpick thing  ;)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »

I stopped fishing like this because if you break off above the weight but below the float you loose your $8 drennan. It also hampers your ability to hold back on your drift and pull your presentation in behind boulders and other obstacles when fishing technical runs while still maintaining depth.
Bobber stop below the float but above the weight helps. I agree it affects your ability to steer, but if you are fishing deep runs you don't have a lot of choice.

tnt

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »

I use bobber stops ... they are the best way to rig a slip float and a set float... pretty cheap and easy to use... nothing like a toothpick swelling or moving to easily too quickly.... try what suits you the best... I believe having confidence in the way you are rigged makes a huge difference... once I start catching fish I dont really change a thing except leader strength...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »

toothpicks can be rough and damage your line.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »

I use one stopper above and one below the Maple Leaf Drennan, easy to adjust depth.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »

There are several reasons that a fixed float is preferred than a sliding float when river fishing.

If the drift is short, you want your presentation to reach the depth as fast as possible. Having the float sliding up to the stopper may have a slight delay.

Having a stopper at the top and bottom is best because it ensures that you do not lose your float if you hook up. There's no messing around with worrying about the tooth pick breaking off, damaging the line or slipping. That being said, I use a tooth pick most of the time because I am 1) lazy ;) 2) too cheap to buy stoppers ;) 3) at times I like to take the float rig off and cast a spoon instead so I don't want to keep removing the stoppers and putting new ones back on.

With the tooth pick method, the float is lost a lot of time when you snag up too. The tooth pick often falls out when the line snaps etc. With one stopper below the float, there is no guarantee that you will retrieve your float everytime either. Some people put two stoppers below the float.

jon5hill

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:44 PM »

There are several reasons that a fixed float is preferred than a sliding float when river fishing.

If the drift is short, you want your presentation to reach the depth as fast as possible. Having the float sliding up to the stopper may have a slight delay.

Having a stopper at the top and bottom is best because it ensures that you do not lose your float if you hook up. There's no messing around with worrying about the tooth pick breaking off, damaging the line or slipping. That being said, I use a tooth pick most of the time because I am 1) lazy ;) 2) too cheap to buy stoppers ;) 3) at times I like to take the float rig off and cast a spoon instead so I don't want to keep removing the stoppers and putting new ones back on.

With the tooth pick method, the float is lost a lot of time when you snag up too. The tooth pick often falls out when the line snaps etc. With one stopper below the float, there is no guarantee that you will retrieve your float everytime either. Some people put two stoppers below the float.

I'm asking why use a slip float with stoppers, effectively fixing it to the line anyway instead of using a fixed float with no stoppers.

Jona

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 06:56:47 AM »

I don't think there is a difference then. It just comes down to preference.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »

The only difference is when fishing deep runs with restricted access due overhanging bushes and trees you have the option of sliding down near the weight.This has often permitted me to fish in spots others passed up due to restricted casting.
Riverman