Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pigeons  (Read 4924 times)

mykisscrazy

Pigeons
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »

So I have a birdfeeder in my backyard, about 2 months ago it was discovered by a couple of pigeons. Now we have about 6 to 8 of them pigging out. They can't feed from the feeder but are scratching around on the ground. They look quite fat and healthy. Now I know in certain parts of the world they are considered a delicacy.

Are they safe to eat?
Is it legal?

Just curious

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Pigeons
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:49:01 AM »

I hear that 'Squab' can be quite tasty....  ;D

Are they safe to eat?

- would depend upon what ever else they are feeding on.. and how you feel about it.
And when one is very very hungry - anything that moves will be quite appetizing...

Saying that - can't tell you if its 'legal' in BC... Although there are lots of Pigeons around.  Haven't seen any Pigeon Census personel keeping count.  If a few go missing, who would know?  ;)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

yamadirt 426

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:33 AM »

Sounds like you have a chicken problem. Or at least thats what you tell the family they are eating  :D. really though our squirells are safe as well as our rabbits so i would assume something like a pigeon would be too. Im after some on my buddys farm to try. just waiting to hear back from him. Let you know.

wizard

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »

Did you kow Pigeons produce MILK? lol...it's true it's even considered a delicacy. :P

Baby pigeons are fed this milk by their parents for their first weeks.  extremely high in protein, more then cows and humans!  look it up!

yamadirt 426

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »

Well I did it. Cooked up 2 pigeons tonight. I tried to slow cook them on the bbq but over cooked them a bit. The meat texture and taste is very much the same as duck. I'm going to try again next week deep fried. They were easier to pluck than a duck. The amount of meat you get is about the same as a greenwing teal. These were grain fed farm pigeons. "Not farmed pigeons"  So if you like wild duck then give its cousin a try.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »

Bagged another yesterday. Put it on the bbq with some oliveoil, salt and pepper. Good eats. My 1.5 yr old loves them.

Min

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »

Cool!!  I have always wondered about that myself.  "Farm" area birds would probably be better than the "Downtown" yuppy birds.