Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Safety Tips from AdvertureSmart  (Read 1342 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Safety Tips from AdvertureSmart
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »

One of my friends had an unplanned swim in Alberta a few days ago while fishing the bow (frozen felt can get slippery on them rocks!) so thought I'd take a second to post a copy of some info off the AdvertureSmart website http://www.adventuresmart.ca/water/fishing/index.php - check out the rest of the site for some good tips and ideas when venturing out!

I know most is common sense but a little reiminder never hurt anyone!  Off the website:

With more than 2 million lakes, countless rivers and streams, plus miles and miles of coastal waters, Canada constantly lures avid anglers from around the globe. Regardless of what you're after, Canada's world-class waters are home to thousands of species of fish and crustaceans.

While it’s easy to get caught up in the thrill of the catch, remember that there are inherent risks involved with being on or near the water and out in the wilderness. Here are some tips to make your fishing adventure safe and enjoyable:

On the water? Ensure that you’re up-to-date on boating safety and regulations.
At the water’s edge? Be bear aware. Bears have a keen sense of smell and are attracted to the fish you clean & gut. Ensure you know what to do if you meet one.

The Right Gear
The 10 Essentials
Trip Plan left with responsible person left with responsible person
Fishing License
PFD (Personal Flotation Device)
Warm clothing
Waterproof jacket/pants
Hipwaders with felt bottoms for fishing on the rivers
Hat
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Bug Spray
Repair kit for your gear – including pliers

In, on, or near a river? These swift-moving bodies of water can quickly change from playground to danger zone if you don’t have the requisite knowledge of river safety before you launch. Actively seek out and participate in courses on river safety, fishing safety and boating safety in your area. The skills you learn could one day save a life… your own!
Check the weather before you head out. Understand weather patterns, hypothermia and cold water shock.
Carry a valid fishing license with you at all times.

Did you know that of the 492 drownings across Canada in 2005, 10% were anglers of whom 90% were not wearing a PFD? The latest in Personal Flotation Device technology offers comfortable, lightweight, inflatable life-saving vests designed specifically for sport fishing. Mustang Survival now carries a variety of lightweight PFDs including a Deluxe Inflatable Fishing Vest. Get a PFD and use it. Don’t become a statistic.

Enjoy fishing Canada’s bountiful waters, and, as always, be AdventureSmart! 

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

slick vic

Re: Safety Tips from AdvertureSmart
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »

Thanks very much James.
Will keep them in mind for sure. :D

costas

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »

Thanks for posting this, and those pfd's do come in handy . I wish i had one when i got taking for a ride on the vedder.
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »

Thanks for the reminder & good advice.  When I was younger I always thought accidents ONLY happened to the other guys...NOT ME.
Truly safety 1st is my moto nowadays.
Heard so many times threw the years (many in the summer) of people drowning in the Chilliwack R....many examples just down stream from the lake.  
Also many interior lakes will have their ice melt & alot fishermen get on the lakes in very small boats...the water in those lakes are VERY COLD & should people fall into them...or boat gets full of water etc... having a PFD will give a person a chance to make it to shore.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:15:49 PM by arimaBOATER »