Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some observations  (Read 7278 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Some observations
« on: December 13, 2009, 11:31:51 AM »

O.K., this is my second post though I have been a viewer for some time now.
A couple things I've noticed.

Fishing regulations:
Why do some people have to ask what the regulations are?
Go to the tackle store (they'd love to see you) and get a copy (or 2 so you can keep one at home and one with your gear)
I think too many people try to get all their info online and though it's there a hard copy of the regs is a lot easier to go through then scrolling through the pages on the internet.
I do think you should check the internet for updates (most are posted here) and if one needs clarification of a regulation in regards to updates or where a particular boundary is by all means ask, but to ask what's the limit for...
or are you allowed to fish here; that's just plain lazy (IMO)
( If your told it's ok to park somewhere and you get a ticket it's still you who pays the fine)
Where did you catch that?
Why should anyone you don't know tell everyone on the internet where they were when their hard work paid off.
The reward for their hard work (scouting, walking, wading, etc;) becomes mute when the next time they arrive at their special spot it's crowded and the fishing pressure has forced the fish to move or become tight lipped.
A general description should suffice and with a little practice and exploring you'll soon find your own special spot also if you're sincere and personable in your endevours perhaps you'll meet others who'll share a little info to help you with your quest. 
(My father has fishing buddies he's known for over 50 years)
Also I'd like to point out that after practicing and exploring  your ability to read water and such will help you on many other flows even if you've never fished them.
Too many out there need that instant gratification.
(They don't even try to beat video games without going to the internet to find the shortcut cheats.)
The rewards fishing offers are many but the satisfaction of catching one on your own through acquired skill or even accident (never thought a fish would be there).
far out weighs the glory lacking ability to simply follow instructions (cast right there with this) as witnessed by the throngs of shoulder to shoulder salmon harvesters this (and every) year.
I'm not saying don't ask I'm just saying don't expect an overly informative reply.
Though I must say some of the responses to the aforementioned enquiries are entertaining.

Just my 2 cents

Also, on the topic of chumming...........

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
Re: Some observations
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »

I agree people shouldn't assume information will be just spewed out because they asked. Everyone should have a copy of the regulations, but in a new region with lots of regs sometimes I will ask on the boards to make sure I haven't missed anything and to gather a bit of firsthand knowledge on what areas of a system to focus on.

The post where someone inquired about nymphing for westslopes in the kootenays was a perfect example of the type of attitude that drives me a little bonkers, but I also understand that when I was new to forums, I learned the hard way about proper etiquette and manners and am glad for the experience.

penn

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »

I have to agree too . I also have an issue with giving out locations on the net . Nothing like working hard at finding good spots only to have someone spot you and then bringing in 10 others to join you . And certainly everyone should know the regs of where they're fishing .

speycaster

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:12:56 PM »

Fish or cut bait, you are assuming that people have to ability to hold a pamphlet, read and turn pages. I think that you are assuming too much. ;D

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »

O.K., this is my second post though I have been a viewer for some time now.
A couple things I've noticed.

Fishing regulations:
Why do some people have to ask what the regulations are?

MAN, do I agree with this statement!!!!!

I feel that if you want to have the pleasure to fish in this Province, you should, No MUST be willing to learn the rules of the land!!!!!!! So many people don't know the regs, and it drives me NUTS.

I feel there are very few people that know ALL the regs, but I think that it is the fishermans responsibility to read at least the section pertaining to the area you will be fishing on any given day.

BTW, GREAT post!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »

they should make you do a test before you get your licence, just like hunting  ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »

they should make you do a test before you get your licence, just like hunting  ;D

I emailed Barry Penners office about this some time ago and the response I got back was about as informative and useful as a fart in a can.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »

Nicely worded Marmot!

fish007

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »

Regarding Fishing report I agree that "A general description should suffice ". A report like "I caught a fish today on a river" has no fun no value. The forum is also a great learning place and the teachers are always respected  ::).

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 07:53:26 PM »

i think the fishing reports part of this forum is a bad idea. mind you i did flip threw there from time to time when i first started looking at this site.

the internet i think has been one of the worst / best things to happen to fishing.

butt the posting of locations i don't think it's good

look at the beach fishing this last year, nightmare. butt as stated above some folks are lazy always looking for a quick fix
girls suck throw rocks at them!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »

And Pegleg. ::)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »

I totally agree about those 2 spots being ruined because of the net because i found out about FC from my local fly shop while spending money in there (im in there weekly) and about Norrish by a guy my dad works with. I fished both before crowding reared its ugly head  :'(

the net does do alot of good for the sport as well though  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 01:45:05 AM »

For the record: There is no rule saying you must state a location (it is best to include a date though). Rodney just changes all threads that do contain a location so that it is stated in the thread topic with a date.

yoda

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »

i agree with you penn, and how many times have spots been monopolized. but then again, it's a bigger and bigger element fishing all the time. Giving a few tips to people here and there on the river i don't have a problem with. After all, we all learn every day! But still, it's good to earn your stripes, not get them handed to you. Appreciate running into locals like chris and picking up tip's, and that's how you learn, school of hard knocks.

purple monster

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »

Sometime, just a general fishing report help out to some of us.  It is not always easy to drive out  and check out if indeed the fish type have entered the so and so called river.   It is nice to hear or be informed that as and example, the coho or chum have arrived and are starting to show up as such and such a place and river.   

I'm not sure that there is a lot of users that are looking for that precise spot or locations.  General info does encourage us beginners to seek out and learn.

Remember, it all the licenses and licensee that  help out with the preservation.  (pick up on this site earlier)