Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't Mess With Texas  (Read 18150 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Don't Mess With Texas
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »

TRUE STORY FROM...  "THE HOUSTON HERALD NEWSPAPER"

IN HOUSTON , TEXAS .. MARCH 5th, 2009

Last Thursday Night Around Midnight, A Woman From Houston,Texas  was arrested,
Jailed, And Charged With Manslaughter For Shooting A Man 6 Times In the back 
as He Was Running Away With Her Purse. ~

The Following Monday Morning, the Woman Was Called In Front Of The Arraignment Judge, Sworn In,
And Asked To Explain Her Actions.

The Woman Replied, "I Was Standing At The Corner Bus Stop
For About 15 Minutes, Waiting For The Bus To Take Me Home After Work.
I Am A Waitress At A Local Cafe...
I Was There Alone, So I Had My Right Hand On My Pistol,
That Was In My Purse, That Was Hung Over My Left Shoulder.
All Of A Sudden I Was Being Spun Around Hard To My Left.   As I Caught My Balance, I Saw A Man
running Away From Me With My Purse.
I Looked Down At My Right Hand And I Saw That My Fingers Were Wrapped
tightly around My Pistol. The Next Thing I Remember Is Saying Out Loud,
"No Way Punk! Your Not Stealing My Pay Check And Tips."
 I Raised My Right Hand, Pointed My Pistol   
 at the Man Running Away >From Me With My Purse,
 And Squeezed The Trigger Of My Pistol 6 Times!

When Asked By The Arraignment Judge,
"Why Did You Shoot The Man 6 Times?
The Woman Replied Under Oath ....."Because, When I Pulled The Trigger The 7th Time, It Only Went Click."

The Woman Was Acquitted Of All Charges. She Was Back At Work, At The Cafe the next day.

Now that's Gun Control....

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!

AMEN

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
Re: Don't Mess With Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »

Yep that's Texas for you. I lived there for a spell, and coming from Switzerland, another fine "gun totting" country, I always carried a gun with me.

I got harassed by an animal rights, long story, and ended up getting attacked by the lowlife. He didn't look like someone I couldn't deal with so I punched a few times and he run off. A minute later the sheriff car pulled up. Turns out the sheriff saw what went down and came looking and that is why lowlife took off. The sheriff must have seen the bulge in my jacket because he asked. "Do you carry Sir." "Yes Sir." I said. Then the sheriff proceeded to give me the following speech.

I can't do Texan accent but here it goes. "Sir if you carry a gun then use it when you get attacked by scum. Why didn't you shoot that sonofabitch. Because of that I now have to drive around and find him rather then just call the meat truck."  I explained that I am a new immigrant from Switzerland and that I am not to familiar with the laws and didn't want to get into trouble. He then educated me, "Sir, we Texan's and Swiss are the same in that regard that we do not mess around with scum."

Don't you love people with common sense. ;)
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »

Wow....

hope you guys are kidding.  HW that "lowlife" could have been a scruffy looking college student thinking he was helping an animal rights movement.  Big deal.  A couple of pushes/punches and it's over.  But KILL the guy?  He could have had a family....maybe he was just going through some confusing period in his life, searching for causes like so many kids do these days.  Killing a person like that hardly shows common sense, only a cold, callous view of what a human being is worth.  You wonder why violence is so prevalent in todays society, THATS why....devaluation of life.

Maybe think about the homicide rate in texas and wonder to yourself why it is so high.

huntwriter

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 01:23:37 PM »

Wow....

hope you guys are kidding.  HW that "lowlife" could have been a scruffy looking college student thinking he was helping an animal rights movement.  Big deal.  A couple of pushes/punches and it's over.  But KILL the guy?  He could have had a family....maybe he was just going through some confusing period in his life, searching for causes like so many kids do these days.  Killing a person like that hardly shows common sense, only a cold, callous view of what a human being is worth.  You wonder why violence is so prevalent in todays society, THATS why....devaluation of life.

Maybe think about the homicide rate in texas and wonder to yourself why it is so high.

Actually Texas homicide rate is much lower than that of BC. While here a murderer walks free on some feeble excuse in Texas they go to the chair without but and if.

As for my assailant. He brandished a rather large knife and shouted, "I am going to kill you animal abusing MF". That in my book made him a legal target. I really do not give a hoot about someones upbringing, drug induced stupor or whatever excuses we have created to absolve people of accountability and  punishment. Physically threaten my family or me, or robbing us, makes them legal game. Whats wrong with the society and a huge contributor to violence is the excuses our system makes up for bad behaviour be that adult or children. 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »

Actually Texas homicide rate is much lower than that of BC. While here a murderer walks free on some feeble excuse in Texas they go to the chair without but and if.

As for my assailant. He brandished a rather large knife and shouted, "I am going to kill you animal abusing MF". That in my book made him a legal target. I really do not give a hoot about someones upbringing, drug induced stupor or whatever excuses we have created to absolve people of accountability and  punishment. Physically threaten my family or me, or robbing us, makes them legal game. Whats wrong with the society and a huge contributor to violence is the excuses our system makes up for bad behaviour be that adult or children.  

2008 statistics point to texas having 5.6 homicides per 100k people vs. BC having roughly 2.75 per 100,000.  (Almost double...) And, if you look at Houston alone, its 13 and change per 100,000....that's crazy!  What numbers are you looking at?  I agree that murderers should be "erased".  No disagreement there, at all.

You should have mentioned the knife and the death threat, I would have helped you pull the trigger.  I think you may be missing my point about the lack of respect for human life being one of the largest issues we face.  Sooner or later we should address WHY this bad behavior is happening in the first place.  People don't commit horrible acts (for the most part) simply because the system is weak and will make an excuse for them.  Sure, there are many criminals that exploit it, but there is something fundamentally WRONG with the way we are bringing up kids these days and the values that they are being taught through a combination of bad parenting and irresponsible media.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:27:14 PM by marmot »

huntwriter

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »

Texas has a different statistic then we have here. In Texas a homicide includes self defense killings, but also certain accidental death resulting from law violations such as driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs among others. Here such death are regarded as accidental death or manslaughter.

As for the rising violence I do believe that a lot of it has to do with liberal child raising, law enforcement, prison system and the like. In general a lack of accountability. When I grew up we had less crime and curing bad behavior started at home. If you did wrong you got punished and often hard. If that didn't help the law got a hold of you and made sure you will never forget your time in prison. These days there are way to many excuses tolerated for undesirable behaviour and it started the moment psychologists entered courtrooms, work places and child rearing and told everybody that accountability and punishment is wrong.

What people have to be taught again is that undesirable behaviour has a hefty and by all means very painful price tag attached to it. In addition people NEED to be given the expressed right to defend themselves by any means they deem necessary. See Switzerland. That country had the lowest crime rate in the world. Everybody owned firearms and was permitted by law to use guns as a means to defend. Now Switzerland has introduced gun registry and control three years. What you know? Crime is on the rise for the past two years in Switzerland. My sister tells me that they had two homicides in Zurich this year. Before gun control Switzerland had two homicides in 50 years. Go figure.     

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

So the gun registry/gun control in switzerland is causal to crime rising...interesting hypothesis.  I guess it has nothing to do with a huge increase in organized crime there in the past 5 years?  I don't think a gun registry does anything to combat crime as criminals will get guns one way or the other, further they won't register them for obvious reasons....but believing that some form of gun control will lead to more violent crime is ridiculous.  These fools, when they go out and commit a violent crime are too stupid and too single minded to think about consequence of any form.  The death penalty sure doesn't seem to work, that's for sure...so I'm not sure what would happen to suddenly improve the judgement of a person of the mind to commit a serious crime.

As far as psychologists go, you should make a distinction.  The psychologist that defers accountability in an almost cyclical fasion is a dated stereotype, and to assume that all or even a fair proportion of psychologists are against punishment...it's a huge assumption.  Just so you know, MANY times (and I know this from personal experience) psychologists are called to trial to debunk the common "I'm insane" or "unfit to stand trial" defense. 

I don't disagree that people should be punished severely.  I'm all for the eye for an eye approach... I do think that we differ in what we see as a proper resolution to the problem. 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 10:40:24 PM »

Arming everyone isn't the answer.  Ask some of the old timers about the escalation of violence in the Lower Mainland. It used to be unheard of reading about someone getting murdered, but now if I don't hear of some gang banger getting killed somewhere it is a slow news week. Putting more guns on the street is not the answer, all that will mean is more dead bodies to pick up for the morgue.
At some point in time, things started falling apart in our society, such that we are at the point we find ourselves in presently. Can it be reversed, oh I am sure it can but it is going to take a lot of work and fortitude to reverse this downward spiral.

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 05:33:59 AM »

He could have had a family.

he should think about that next time he assualts someone, why should the victim think about his family for him...that his job.

huntwriter

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »

So the gun registry/gun control in switzerland is causal to crime rising...interesting hypothesis.

I was born and raised in Switzerland. For as long I lived there we had NO crime because every household, shop, bar, gas station had several guns and you could legally shoot anybody that unlawfully entered your house or if you witnessed a crime in progress anywhere else. In fact if you phoned up the police to report a crime the first question would be “Did you get him?”

Now it has changed. With stricter gun laws people started to hand firearms in to the police and you’re no longer permitted to take the law into you own hands to protect what is your or your neighbors. The EU and UN successfully managed to bully the idea that criminals have right worth more than those of the victim onto Switzerland.

The combination of the two is the result of rising crime.  

Putting more guns on the street is not the answer, all that will mean is more dead bodies to pick up for the morgue.
At some point in time, things started falling apart in our society, such that we are at the point we find ourselves in presently.
You can look at any statistic anywhere in the world. Where people are by law permitted to use deadly force to defend themselves crime will go down. Crime is also at low levels where they have a strict and merciless court systems such as in China. Incidentally, when the western countries talk about improving human rights in China they mean that criminals should have more rights, more comfort in the prisons and should not be forced to work in order to pay for all the cost, including their own execution, arising from their crime.      

Conversely, countries that have gun control and took the right of the people to defend themselves away violent crime goes through the roof. See Great Britain, guns are outlawed; you’re not permitted to carry anything on you that could be construed as a weapon, not even a tiny pocketknife. You’re not permitted to touch a person or risk to get arrested for assault, heck even cussing at someone is an assault punishable by a hefty fine. I lived in England, it’s a beautiful place but one of the most dangerous places to live in the world.

Australia two years after outlawing guns and destroying them with a big show violent crime went up over 45%.  

It is really simple. If a criminal has to fear that he looses his life he often will reconsider. On the other hand if a criminal knows that his victim has no way to defend he will have nothing to fear. I know these days a bully is considered, like a criminal, a person that needs attention, compassion and guidance and we see the result of this myth everyday on the street and in schoolyards.  

huntwriter

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 08:53:07 AM »

he should think about that next time he assualts someone, why should the victim think about his family for him...that his job.

You're absolutely right BCHunter.

Many people are so concerned with how a criminal feels, what he went through in his life or where things have gone wrong with him and that he has family too. Who gives a $hit. If my life is in danger or my property then I'll take every step I consider necessary to defend what is mine.

That reminds when I lived in Illinois. A man that killed four people was about to be executed. Outside about 100 protesters and the mother of the killer crying into the news camera. "His my baby boy, please have mercy, please, please." Behind her the crowd cheered "Mercy, Mercy".

I bet the four girls that got raped and killed by that monster pleaded mercy too but it didn't help them to stay alive. It is exactly that what's wrong in our society. There is so much attention on the poor criminals and NOBODY gives a rats *** about the victims.      
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:03:39 AM by huntwriter »

huntwriter

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 09:52:21 AM »

Here is a perfect explanation why law abiding people need guns. This is a story of a women who called 911 to report a break and enter. Read, or listen, how long it took for the police to respond to that call. If the women would not have taken matters into her own hands and shot the criminal only God knows what would have happen to her. Possibly another violent crime statistic. But because she had a gun the criminal, who by the way happens to have a mile long criminal record dating back all the way to 2005, is now dead and NEVER AGAIN will bother, rob, hurt and intimidate another person.

http://maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com/2009/12/donna-jackson-shoots-intruder-with.html

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »

HW You use anecdotal evidence and mere correlations to "prove" your argument....not very convincing, sorry.  It's a good thing that woman killed that criminal, I agree.  Still, not enough to make me think arming everybody is the answer, far from it.

BCHunter, if you read back a bit, HW did not mention the guy had a knife or threatened to kill him the first time he told the story.  It sounded like he was just some scruffy animal rights activist looking for a scuffle....hardly warrants somebody to blow his brains out the back of his head. 

Also, there are plenty of places in Canada where you can leave your doors open day and night and not worry about crime, at all.  They are almost always small communities.....what does this tell you?  That maybe community and strong social ties to those around you (rather than NONE, which is what we see in the most violent parts of the world) have a lot to do with crime rates?

I think it's a typical reactive approach to think that arming everyone is the answer when it is so clear, SO CLEAR that there are much bigger contributing factors to violent crime.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »

I was born and raised in Switzerland. For as long I lived there we had NO crime because every household, shop, bar, gas station had several guns and you could legally shoot anybody that unlawfully entered your house or if you witnessed a crime in progress anywhere else.

That's an awfully big leap to make.  Correlation is not causation.

I'm in the same camp (I think) as marmot - I believe justice needs to be a lot stiffer than it is, but arming the masses isn't my idea of a good plan.

huntwriter

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »

That's an awfully big leap to make.  Correlation is not causation.

I'm in the same camp (I think) as marmot - I believe justice needs to be a lot stiffer than it is, but arming the masses isn't my idea of a good plan.

In Switzerland it worked very well for over 800 years, along time during which people had nothing to fear be that from criminals, politicians or foreign invaders. The best way I can say it is in the words of our late President of State in response to calls form liberal foreigner to introduce gun control in Switzerland.

"Free and law abiding people have a God given right, outlined in our constitution, to defend their lives, property and above all their freedom and liberty against anyone, including government oppression, by any means they deem necessary. An armed society makes for a polite society and a considerate government. Taking these rights away from the people turns them into nothing more than slaves and opens the door to oppression and criminal anarchy. The point is as the founding fathers of our great nation wisely realized. A truly free and safe society is an armed society."

The President passed away six years ago and everything he feared gun control would do became true. More crime, foreign influence, deterioration of decency and the loss of liberty. Before that our old justice minister was once asked by a German journalist why he doesn't push gun control more. He answered. "Besides the fact that taking the guns away from the people is a violation of the constitution that expressly grants the people the right to own and bear arms the last thing you want to do as a government is to make an armed to teeth citizenry angry. The last time the people got angry  with a government is still in vivid memory." Boy have times changed since then. People are now more and more just mere sheep that been pushed around.