Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: boat advice  (Read 3781 times)

dan-o

boat advice
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:17:46 AM »

hello,

i just moved from vancouver to squamish and want to buy a boat for the sound, drop some crab traps, and do some fishing and exploring. i am looking at an aluminum boat with around 7 grand top of the budget. any advice on minimum size or power?

cheers,

dan

arimaBOATER

Re: boat advice
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »

Dan if ya check the vancouver craigslist ...click on "boats" then at top of the page type in:  Arima boat
After checking those boats ya can type in: Double Eagle
".............".........."...................."type in: Hourston
Ya should see some interesting boats come up. EDIT IN: also type in : campion boat...a few interesting boats...listed.
I'd go with min. 16-17 ft boat for the area you will be in.  Of course always check out the Marine forecast before heading out.
Yrs ago we had a 21ft Bellboy inboard at the Lions Bay Marina (Howe Sound) We went out 3 of us...Doug my dad & myself. We got into 7-8 fters. & the waves were steep & close together. Waves were from the SW. When we made our "turn" it kinda reminds me now of that PERFECT STORM movie when they made the turn. (ha)
On high tide days & low winds ya will have a safe day. Great if ya can get a reliable kicker also because ya just never know when your main engine fails. (whatever boat ya look at really check the hull/transom/outboard & trailer because many used boats have problems....go for a test run before buying & see how it performs. Look for any water inside boat..take engine cover off after a run & see if it looks clean & dry) All the best in your searching.
I've found also that there is lots of debris...drift wood small & big logs etc... in the sound so keep a sharp eye out.
Boating in the Pacific NW is fun as long ya put safety 1st.
We have an 16 Arima boat & have been into steep 6 fters. & though it was scary (ha) we got into calmer waters. :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:55:25 PM by arimaBOATER »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:09:56 PM »

Dan Wife & I were driving east along Steveston Highway & at the  No 4 Rd  intersection there was a boat & trailer sitting in a vacant lot with a sign BOAT FOR SALE. Lot is next to Art Knapps Plant Store.  Do not know the price but it may be in your range as it looked like an older one but nevertheless looked interesting. If everything works properly it would be a good Howe Sound boat. (outboard as well)  So in case your in that area in the future maybe swing out & take a look.

Nitroholic

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »

Dan Wife & I were driving east along Steveston Highway & at the  No 4 Rd  intersection there was a boat & trailer sitting in a vacant lot with a sign BOAT FOR SALE. Lot is next to Art Knapps Plant Store.  Do not know the price but it may be in your range as it looked like an older one but nevertheless looked interesting. If everything works properly it would be a good Howe Sound boat. (outboard as well)  So in case your in that area in the future maybe swing out & take a look.

I've seen that one, think it's got a late 80's 115hp oil injected suzuki on it. Think they were asking $6500? I live close so I'll double check the price on it.

Nitroholic

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:47:49 AM »

I've seen that one, think it's got a late 80's 115hp oil injected suzuki on it. Think they were asking $6500? I live close so I'll double check the price on it.

Just drove by, they are asking $5500.

dan-o

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:50:31 AM »

thanks for the advice, i am stuck working in eastern europe and dreaming of fishing. this website is as close as i come. i had been looking only at aluminum as there is so much debris in the water around the sound but will check out the other options. also really hoping for a four stroke but with the budget i kinow that will be hard.  there are definitely more boats at good prices if i go away from aluminum.  I know the area around art knapp, and will look at the boat when i am back in town. thanks again.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

Dan as you say "you know the area where Art Knapp is" but incase ya do not know Richmond well... Art Knapp moved just a short few yrs. ago from Steveston Hwy & No 5 (close to the 99 Hwy & tunnel) to their new smaller location just a few minutes drive west from there.  But it's still on the Steveston Hwy. but at No. 4 Rd.   Art Knapp is located on the SE corner & the boat is located in the vacant lot on the bordering east side.
Maybe use the big engine to get ya to your location then have a 4-6-8 hp 4 stroke kicker to putt-putt ya around (go all day on very little fuel)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:25:04 PM by arimaBOATER »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 08:16:33 PM »

There is a nice Double Eagle on craigslist from a couple days ago.
It looks very good cond and with trailer for $1500.00

Couldnt go wrong with this boat.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »

Headed out to London Drugs via Steveston Hwy. so decided to stop & take a quick look at that boat for sale. (Steveston/No 4
Owner 's # 604-816-7171)  From what I seen it looked like a decent boat.  Under part of hull looks very solid & it is also nicely bottom painted.
 The sides deppress in abit when I pushed with my hand.
 The top enclosure is in good condition.
 One zipper was down so I peeped into the boat & it had a presentable appearance.
 Nice back to back seats to sit 4 people. Little ladder so ya can get up to the bow from the front window area.  Looks like a good boat for the Sound on calm days.  They are asking $5500 but for me at least; wouldn't pay more than $4000.00-$4300.
 That would be my offer anyways & only if the outboard was in great shape.
Trailer looks ok.
A boat like that ya could get away with a 45-60 hp. but heard of people trolling with a 115 hp before. (NO KICKER BRACKET)

Say if a person budget was $7000 & ya get this boat for $4000-$4300 then a person has money to service & replace some parts impeller etc to the outboard....new marine battery. 

Infact there are deals on new outboards 50-60 hp 4 stroke for $4500. Say a boat dealer changes makes of outboards that he sells so he wants to get rid of old stock.

Anyways looks like a nice boat.

labmik

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »

Buy a drift boat.