Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Local lakes ???  (Read 2864 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Local lakes ???
« on: December 04, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »

Has anyone tried any of the local lakes lately ??

jon5hill

Re: Local lakes ???
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

They are starting to slow down now that the temperature has dropped significantly for the stocked trout fishery. This usually happens after the lakes turn over in the fall, the average size of fish drops as well. I've only caught 2 in the past 2 outings, which were both below 12 inches in length, but in the Spring and Fall I usually slay them. I once caught 27 trout at Sasamat lake in May.

From this point forward it's all steelhead! and Ice fishing if you are into that.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »

the lakes are definately slow now, I've decided to stop until the spring. Gearing up for my first steelhead season this year instead

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 11:42:39 PM »

Jon - 27 trout is a decent outing  ;) how many hours did it take to get that many though. my best so far was 30 in 90mins  :o everytime my fly hit the water it was fish on !! i couldnt do anything wrong as long as i had that one fly  ;D ;D

if you wanna try fishing the local lakes now i would try a leech under a strike indicator and just VERY SLOWLY figure 8 retrieve it. if there is any cruising fish looking for food (which there should be) i dont see why they wouldnt take a chomp at it  ;D and when i say leech i mean a smaller one like half inch or so in length.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:06:08 PM »

Jon - 27 trout is a decent outing  ;) how many hours did it take to get that many though. my best so far was 30 in 90mins  :o everytime my fly hit the water it was fish on !! i couldnt do anything wrong as long as i had that one fly  ;D ;D

if you wanna try fishing the local lakes now i would try a leech under a strike indicator and just VERY SLOWLY figure 8 retrieve it. if there is any cruising fish looking for food (which there should be) i dont see why they wouldnt take a chomp at it  ;D and when i say leech i mean a smaller one like half inch or so in length.

I bolded the most important part of your response. With the water temps getting lower and lower each week the fish will not move very far for a meal. They will be hunkered down as their metabolism slows down. They will be taking the easy meal so take that approach during this time of year.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

jon5hill

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 06:54:01 AM »

The amount of food that the lake can provide is much lower than the total number of fish since it is a stocked lake. This translates to scarce food sources and as a result the fish feed on just about anything so long as it's not energetically costly to do so. If you wait long enough, by February they start to consume plant matter and things like pine needles. It's kinda wierd.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:39:19 PM »

well Deer and stuff eat bark and other things in the wild also so why not  ;D LOL

I have found all sorts of weird stuff in trout stomachs, even when there is lots of bugs they will still eat plant matter and things that are floating in the water.

Randolph - when water temps get cold you want SLOW moving baits. Usually lures are most effective for stocked trout in the early spring, alot of times out fishing any fly fishermen also  ;) in summer power bait, eggs, shrimp or other scented things usually pull the most fish as the fish get very very lazy in the heat which turns the local lakes into bathtubs basically so a stationary presentation will work really well. I normally fish chironomids all the time for the local stockies because over the years i have found that they will take something stationary or very slightly moving more then something zipping by quickly  ;) however there is always days that fast things will work great, and about an hour before dark and even when its dark speed retrieving a leech can be awesome. 
Check out our new blog

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 08:36:09 PM »

I have never seen any scuds in Timbers but i know an older guy that fishes there alot and he has stomach pumped 1 scud out of a fish over the years. normally all you get is Daphnia out of their stomachs but sometimes you can find all sorts of bugs and bait/worms.

Check out our new blog