Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sportfishing Catch & release OR fill the Freezer.  (Read 4153 times)

arimaBOATER

Sportfishing Catch & release OR fill the Freezer.
« on: November 30, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »

Personally for me fishing is enjoyable because of the chess match between a person & the fish.

What method ...what selection of lure, fly, bait, what length of leader, river,lake or salt ,how fast to troll,cast location & reel in speed...
Could easily catch & release every fish & still have complete fun.
Other sportsfishing men/ladies may be on the opposite side of the scale & fish only because they like the idea of alot of salmon stored up in their freezer,canned or smoked.

They mainly fish because of their liking to eat them for taste,protein, & cost savings perhaps.

My guess is most are kinda in the middle.

They like the excitement of catching a fish but also enjoy eating the ones they catch.
I could even release a good eating salmon & still have a great day. Something about letting it go on it's way gives me a good feeling.
Plus the whole experience of being out on the water is so energizing & reeling one in is just a bonus.

WOW it is very sunny today in Richmond BC today. Time to put on the sun glasses. 8)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:03:26 PM by arimaBOATER »

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Sportfishing Catch & release OR fill the Freezer.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »

--maybe in the middle... selective harvest--that is I don't take home trophy fish, I release them .
--usually take home a few to eat fresh or as this spring when on a fishing trip took potatoes, salad, etc. and ate fresh fish. On last day of trip took a few home for the rest of the family.
--take fish from productive waters where the population is known to be healthy.
--I try to limit damage to the fish by using appropriate gear but on occasion a fish... in an area where harvest is legal, gets deep hook or gill damage so would likely keep the fish if not a good chance for successful release.
--I like to eat fish so catch my own.
--If purchasing fish try (not sure it always works due to some false labels etc.) to get from legitimate source properly regulated fishery.

--Liklely spend most days on the water without taking a fish home. 

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »

skaha  Great post reply. Your a true sportsman.
If the fish is bleeding alot then will definately bonk it. Rather put it out of it's misery than let it suffer & more than likely die anyways.
Just the other day bought 10 cans of wild pink salmon $1.49 per can 180 g. expiry 2014 so that completely satisfy's my needs. Mayo pepper white onions within toasted slices of whole wheat bread & green leafy lettuce. ;)

FWR is one busy site ! Only have posted this topic minutes ago & there are 32 views already.
Alot of sites a post has to be on for 4-5 days before getting that many views. If Gordo or people in politics were wise they should take up sportfishing as a hobby ...so they may get alot more votes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:20:11 PM by arimaBOATER »

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »

catch and release on a river is good practice yes but if you were fishing a river with a hatchery on it that puts out fish to be caught and killed by anglers is it wrong releasing these fish? I know i have been reemed out for releasing hatchery coho. (already had 2 on the beach and not many in the family enjoy salmon like i do). people were saying how hatchery stock MUST be killed to prevent them breeding with the wild fish.. i can see what there getting at but still do not feel it is a must to kill a fish because it is marked as a hatchery... same thing happened to me while fishing for steelhead. caught a 5 or 6 lb hatchery 15 min into fishing...... got screamed at for letting it go.... but i think it was because buddy wanted my spot on this one.. so is it wrong to release a hatchery marked fish?
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »

I also agree with selective harvest of hatchery fish.
Personally, I try to keep salmon only up to non-freezer level.
So I try to keep salmon my family or friends can eat within a couple of days without going into freezer.
That means I release around 95% of my salmon catch.
This season, I have kept 3 coho and 1 jack spring for consumption.
It was more than enough for my personal needs and my family is happy.
Of course, other people will have different level of needs and I do also respect it.
However, I don't agree with filling the freezer when consumption within few months is questionable.
In residential freezers, even frozen fish do degrade over time and many salmon are
thrown out in spring to make room for new fish.
That is unfortunate.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:19 PM »

For me its either way. I will go and C&R all day and im happy. My dad on the other hand, wants to go to catch fish and eat them. He wants to go out and have multiple hook-ups and bring something home.
I love chasing steelhead but I dont go often because he doesnt want to go out due of the lack of fish.  :-\ Cant wait until I can drive.

wizard

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 02:15:12 PM »

for me, prob somewhere around 90% c&r.  When I'm out camping I like a nice panfry size over the campfire given they're not from a muddy lake, but I definitely won't keep enough to take home.  I like the motto "keep what you can eat there".  and always I let the big ones (trophy size)go, generally I will never keep a trout that's over 17 inches or so, (unless it's a min size requirement).  basically, the bigger they are, the easier it is to release it...fish of all species.
from what I witness C&R is gaining in popularity, hopefully it continues to grow.  btw, if you want a great example of how to properly catch, release and handle a fish, watch Mark Pendlington's show sport fishing bc, he puts most other tv fishing personalities to shame.