Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pet Peeve - for sale!  (Read 5406 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Pet Peeve - for sale!
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »

OK, for the THIRD TIME in about 5 weeks, I've offered to buy something that was on the buy and sell section (actuall, 2 from here, 1 from another site) that either during emailing back and forth to set time/place for pickup or even after everything was set, that someone in the family 'decided they wanted it, so the sale is off, so sorry'.

Really?  If you're gonna sell it, check with your family BEFORE you list it - if they change their mind after you list it then too bad for them if it's already spoken for!

In one case just this morning, I passed on a great deal because I'd already had "bought" an item - only to get the so sorry email.   >:( Now I've missed out on 2 deals for the price of one - what a bargin!  >:(

There, I feel little better...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Pet Peeve - for sale!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:13 PM »

While we are on pet peeves for the buy/sell.....

It bothers me that a certain someone posts like 100 items every month and barely contributes to any of the other sections of the forum and he is not even a subscriber. He uses the buy/sell as his personal store to sell lots of things that he must get wholesale or something. The other thing is he does it all at once bumping other peoples items way down the list and these people might miss out on potential sales because of this.

OK rant over.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »

OK, for the THIRD TIME in about 5 weeks, I've offered to buy something that was on the buy and sell section (actuall, 2 from here, 1 from another site) that either during emailing back and forth to set time/place for pickup or even after everything was set, that someone in the family 'decided they wanted it, so the sale is off, so sorry'.

Really?  If you're gonna sell it, check with your family BEFORE you list it - if they change their mind after you list it then too bad for them if it's already spoken for!

In one case just this morning, I passed on a great deal because I'd already had "bought" an item - only to get the so sorry email.   >:( Now I've missed out on 2 deals for the price of one - what a bargin!  >:(

There, I feel little better...

That happened to me once when trying to buy a sage 2106 from the buy sell forum... I think sometimes people get offered more money so they sell it to someone else even if arrangements were already made with you.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »

I think when people do this to others in a public forum we should just scold them publicly because thats not proper selling ettiquette.  >:(

I have had this happen only once and i personally let the person know what a tool they were  ;) lets just hope what comes around goes around and they have it happen to them on something they want very badly  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

tuna

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:25:45 PM »

while we are on the subject of the buy and sell ,yes I agree that some of the people are rather ignorant about pricing for example if I am selling a $650 sage and Iam askinf $350 THAT MEANS $350 or close ......NOT $200 come on just because its for sale and lightly used I still had to pay alot of money for it , hard earned money so if you have something to say to me come on do it I dare you don't insult me with such a low ball ofer its insulting me like I'm desperate or something  :(

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 01:10:15 PM »

while we are on the subject of the buy and sell ,yes I agree that some of the people are rather ignorant about pricing for example if I am selling a $650 sage and Iam askinf $350 THAT MEANS $350 or close ......NOT $200 come on just because its for sale and lightly used I still had to pay alot of money for it , hard earned money so if you have something to say to me come on do it I dare you don't insult me with such a low ball ofer its insulting me like I'm desperate or something  :(
The world of buying and selling used goods is one that requires a pretty tough skin.  All people are doing is trying to find a starting point for negotiations.  I've learned alot from negotiations in other countries with merchants... Most importantly - NEVER take any offer as anything personal.  The other person is simply trying to get the absolute best deal they can for themselves.  You simply either a) decide not to continue negotiations or b) suggest they refine their offer to something closer to the asking price ;)

One pet peeve I have is when you post something for a certain price people make an offer in the thread, if you want to make an offer do it via the pm function. If you can't pm buy a subscription! ;D
What wrong with that?  It becomes a bit like an auction in those cases and CAN sometimes drive the final value up - others seeing the prices being offered.

My $0.02 (no, I won't give it to you for $0.01 :)  )

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:09 PM »

Ok, since I mod the Buy&Sell I'll answer a few of the rants.

BB: The Buy and Sell is a service to the members of the forum whether they contribute in other sub-forums or not. I've had complaints about the person you speak of but I don't really see it as a problem. He sells gear at reasonable prices and most of it sells quickly, and he posts SOLD when it's gone, therefore removing his thread from the list. It is really just an advantage to other members who are looking for gear.

ScouterJames: I can't do much for you. The Buy&Sell forum is merely a medium for buyers to find sellers and vise-versa. We can't control what happens after that. I've been screwed over a few times too, shipping gear across the province only for the person to deny the package and I have to pay to ship it back.

HOOK: I don't want anyone getting called out publicly because it is only heresy, the seller will rebuttal and the thread will go no where fast.

Fisherforever: I agree, offers should be made via PM or E-Mail. However many times the seller does not have contact info in their profile our in their thread so a 'posted' offer is all someone can make. If the seller wants the offer deleted, they can click the "Report to Moderator" and tell me they want it removed.

DragonSpeed: You are 100% right about not taking offers personally. However, you need to refresh your self on the Buy and Sell Guidlines;
The buy and sell is not an auction board.

If anyone has a problem with something posted in the buy and sell section use the "Report to Moderator" button.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »

DragonSpeed: You are 100% right about not taking offers personally. However, you need to refresh your self on the Buy and Sell Guidlines;

::) Whooops.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 02:57:12 PM »

LOL I have had the same thing with selling!I had one guy who ordered two anchors ,everything was set he was to call and stop by on his way out of town.Well two hours after he was suppose to call,i called hime and he was close but did not want to stop and pick them up but he would call when he got back into town.Well guess what never heard from him agian.So the buy and sell thing goes both ways.It got to a point where i almost stopped making anchors.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 05:22:57 PM »

It got to a point where i almost stopped making anchors.
That could really weigh on a guy ;)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »

lame so very lame:)

one more cast

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »

lame so very lame:)

lame, but heavy  ;D ;D