Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Secret to Fishing The Squamish River-Read It Here!!11!!  (Read 18696 times)

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Secret to Fishing The Squamish River-Read It Here!!11!!
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »

I always wear safty cap althogh no stones falling from the sky for ten years.  If you do not like gun them try spray.
huh?
always a student

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »

If you want Bears head over to the Nitnat-it's stupid how many Bears hang out there, not like up around Terrace though-that's the Bear Capitol of Canada.

fish007

Examples of bear attacks (name deleted)
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »

17 Sep 2009 ... A Montreal woman died Wednesday night after being mauled by a bear near La Tuque, Que.

September 2008 Sundre area, Alberta. Wagner, 48, of Didsbury, didn't return from a hunting trip to the Sundre area. The medical examiner's office says (Mr Wagner) found near Sundre was mauled to death by a bear

May 30, 2008 Near La Sarre, Quebec. Lavoie went on a solo fishing trip. After she didn't return to her cabin, her husband went looking for her. He found a bear dragging her body into the woods.

November 25, 2007  Mountain Aire Lodge west of Sundre, about 90 km northwest of Calgary. Peters, 51, did not return from a hunting trip in Western Alberta. He was killed by a grizzly near his vehicle after going hunting alone. His body was found three days later. His rifle was found nearby. It had been fired but there was nothing to indicate the bear had been hit. Officials were trying to trap the bear but would not say whether it would be killed if captured. Upon capture, the bear may be shot, moved to another area or let go, depending on an evaluation of the bear, said Alberta resources spokesman Dave Ealey

July 20, 2007  The 31-year-old woman was reported missing on July 20 after being separated from friends while mountain biking at Panorama Mountain Resort, British Columbia. She was presumably killed by a black bear who was right where the body was recovered at 8 a.m. July 21. Indications were that the bear had preyed upon this person or obviously was trying to claim ownership. The bear was shot on site by RCMP.

April 28, 2006 Fatally mauled while staking mineral claims near Ross River, Yukon, Canada. He unknowingly walked right past a bear den containing a sow and 2 cubs

September 20, 2005 Killed by a female and two cubs while he was walking back to his mining camp after his truck had a flat tire at Bowron River, British Columbia

September 6, 2005  Killed in a predatory attack at the Missinaibi Lake Provincial Park, north of Chapleau, Ontario, Canada. Her husband was seriously injured trying to protect her. Ministry staff shot and killed the bear at approximately 8:00 a.m. Saturday, September 10, 2005, near the area where the fatal attack occurred in a remote area of the park.[13][14] The bear involved had already attempted to attack two fisherman an hour before this attack occurred

August 26, 2005 Fatally mauled while picking plums at Selkirk, north of Winnipeg, Manitoba

June 23, 2005 Killed in their tent at a campsite along the Hulahula river 12 miles (19 km) upriver from Kaktovik in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

June 5, 2005 Killed while jogging with 2 friends on the Bench Trail in Canmore, Alberta

2005 Found dead in the main cabin of his fishing camp located 300 km Northeast of Ft. Smith, Northwest Territories, Canada

October 2003 Found by their pilot, dead and most of their bodies consumed at Kaflia Bay, Katmai National Park, Alaska on October 6, 2003. Treadwell was world-famous for his books and documentaries on living with wild bears in Alaska. State Troopers investigating the incident recovered an audiotape of the attack. Only a few days before, Treadwell filmed himself with the bear that killed him in the background, while commenting that it was a bear just like this one — older, struggling to bulk up for the winter — that posed the most threat to humans. The two were killed on the last night before their scheduled pickup, after spending several months in the Alaskan bush

April 17, 2003  Stalked, killed and partially consumed by a large, black bear near Waswanipi, a village in northern Quebec

September 2002  Attacked and killed at a remote oil rigging site in northeastern British Columbia

September 2002 Attacked and killed in his campsite in Gaspé region of Quebec

June 3, 2001 Attacked and killed at a rural campsite 25 km. east of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories, Canada

July 14, 2000 His partially consumed body was found at Run Amuk campground in Hyder, Alaska

July 2, 2000 Attacked and killed while on a training run in a wooded area on a military base near Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Coroner findings suggest victim was able to get away after initial attack but the bear caught up with her and delivered fatal claw blow to the back of the neck. It was determined that a black bear trapped by Wildlife rangers near the site of the incident shortly after the event was not the animal involved in the fatal mauling. Reasons for the attack, one of very few to occur near a large city, remain undetermined

May 2000 Killed and partially consumed by a 112-pound (51 kg) female and her 40-pound (18 kg) yearling. The attack occurred near the Goshen Prong/Little River trail junction 1.5 miles (2.4 km) upstream from Elkmont, Great Smoky Mountains near Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Aug 22, 1998 Killed by a grizzly bear on Saturday while fishing on the South Castle river about 12 miles south of the Beaver Mines campground

August 17, 1997 Died from injuries while defending herself and her 13 year old son from attack near Liard River Hotsprings, British Columbia

June 1996 Killed while checking fencelines at his rural ranch in British Columbia

July 18, 1980  Killed at Leo Creek, British Columbia, Canada while fishing with two friends[49]

May 13, 1978  All three boys were stalked and killed while fishing near Radiant Lake, Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada[

fish007

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »

Fisherforever Obviously I am debating on the topic "Should we be aware of bears while fishing on Squamish?" 

fish007

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »

I now found out a gun might be less effective than a bear spray when dealing with big ones..

mr.p

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 06:55:59 PM »

Sorry to throw this thread even more off topic, but the bear talk is very interesting.
Those examples listed above are fatalities.  I'm assuming the number of non fatal attacks are much higher.
One should always be prepared to run into a bear basically anywhere in Beautiful BC.  Obviously your chances of encountering a bear up north are greater.  However, there are still plenty of bears around these parts.  Its best to stay "bear aware" whenever enjoying the outdoors.

Personally, I have bumped into black bears in the Squamish valley a couple of times.  Twice on the Mamquam during pink seasons.  
My scariest bear encoutner occured on the Vedder last year.  I was in the upper doing some solo fishing.  I had gone on a short 5 minute walk to get away from the crowds.  I could just barely see the next anglers up river.  Anyhow, I was standing in the water, about 3 meters from shore.... I turn around and see a BIG black bear approx 10 meters away.  I start doing the usual yelling in a loud voice, nothing.  I pick up some decent sized rocks and launch them in front of the bear, nothing.  In fact the bear seemed to posture up and actually approached even closer.  At one point the bear was on the edge of the river bank and I was a few meters away in the water.  It basically just stood there sniffing the bank and keeping an eye on me.  I ended up having to walk about 100 meters up river in the water.  The next anglers up saw the bear and managed to scare it far enough away that I was able to escape.  About two weeks later there was a report that a bear had been shot and killed by CO's after attacking the backpack of an angler.  You just never know out there.  
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »

If you want Bears head over to the Nitnat-it's stupid how many Bears hang out there, not like up around Terrace though-that's the Bear Capitol of Canada.

Counted over twenty in less than two km's of the Nitnat this fall. The juveniles were running around in the water chasing chum all over. Quite a sight to see. You are no more likely to be mauled by a bear on the Squamish than you are on some stretches of the Vedder. Relax fish007.
always a student

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »

Found a few bear eaten dogs up that way, one of them was the chromest chum I've seen in the flesh also saw a semi live clawed on trying to stay upright. Have never found bears to be a problem in my limited 3 years in BC although have been up close alone a couple of times. I always keep my eyes open though!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »

Counted over twenty in less than two km's of the Nitnat this fall. The juveniles were running around in the water chasing chum all over. Quite a sight to see. You are no more likely to be mauled by a bear on the Squamish than you are on some stretches of the Vedder. Relax fish007.

I fished the red spring run of Nitnat one year with some friends. One of the guys hooked a fish and followed it down toward some bushes. We saw a large black bear on the other side of the bushes and yelled at the guy to forget the fish and come right back up. He was so occupied with fighting his fish and he ignored our warning, until finally, he saw the bear himself at close range. Never seen anybody running so fast.  ;D  Forget about the rod and the fish. Later, the bear actually swam across the river and he then could retrieve his rod on the shore but the fish was gone.  :D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 12:49:17 PM »

Yes it is a funny place the Nitnat. The first guy we ran into funny enough was with his dog and a shotgun. There is a place if fishing by yourself you might want to bring a gun I guess although I still think it is over kill. If it comes down to you or a fish the protein isn;t worth it in my books. I had a spring on and had a bear keep walking up the beach towards me waiting for me to land it. My buddy used a banger to ward it off. I absolutely love that river if you can get to an area where the snaggers are vacant. Fish are so aggressive its sweet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:43:32 PM by dereke »
always a student

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 01:36:30 PM »

I now found out a gun might be less effective than a bear spray when dealing with big ones..

Stick with the spray if you feel its needed.  You were starting to worry me with the guns- if you have no experience with guns, what in the heck are you doing thinking of taking one out in the woods for protection.  The changes of injuring yourself are way higher than you dropping a charging bear... wait, what charging bear?  Ive heard of two aggressive bear stories from fishing buddies.  First, a customer of a friend's was fishing the Squamish and had a griz bluff charge him.  The other was on the Nitnat where my 6'6" 350lbs friend felt threatened by a bear when it he tried to beak in on the bear's fishing spot ;D  That's the sum total of genuinely aggressive bears I've heard of in tens of thousands of angler-hours fishing some pretty remote spots too.

Bring a friend if you're worried, but in reality, the chances of you getting injured in a car accident on route to the fishing spot far exceeds the chance of even seeing a bear on the Sqamish.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2009, 01:43:01 PM »

Bring a friend if you're worried, but in reality, the chances of you getting injured in a car accident on route to the fishing spot far exceeds the chance of even seeing a bear on the Sqamish.

Precisely.
always a student

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »

The Quinsam off the Campbell River has lots of black bears during salmon season. We will be fishing and they are usually all on the other side of the river and dont even care your there.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »

The Quinsam off the Campbell River has lots of black bears during salmon season. We will be fishing and they are usually all on the other side of the river and dont even care your there.

Same with the Stamp over there. The Nitnat is the only place that I have encountered really aggressive bears that wait for you to catch fish, then simply roll up and take them. I had only the one experience like this but have heard countless other stories from guys.
always a student

fish007

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »

Bear Safety

(from govmt site)
Bears may be encountered throughout the parks during the summer months. Although most bears are simply  travelling through and make every effort to avoid humans, a bag of garbage or some unattended food on a picnic table may be irresistible to their keen sense of smell. Bears that scavenge food begin to associate food with humans, and become "food-conditioned." Food-conditioned bears lose their natural fear of humans and become a threat to park visitors as they roam through the park in search of an easy meal. Bears are not tame, gentle or cuddly; they are unpredictable and potentially dangerous.

There is little or no chance of correcting a food-conditioned bear and Park Rangers are forced to destroy them when they become aggressive towards humans. Don't be a contributor to food- conditioning and remember...