Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead rod  (Read 2116 times)

devon42

steelhead rod
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:21:35 PM »

well a while back i bought this cheap fly rod just to have, never really used it but i wanna practice some casting this coming up steelhead season on the vedder because theres less crowds then now. its a 6/7 weight rod, is this a big enough rod just in case i do hook into a steelhead? don't really expect to but you just never know.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
Re: steelhead rod
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:28:15 PM »

If your worried about breaking it, then be careful when landing a fish not to grab the line and bend the tip down in a real tight loop, this will break your rod especially if the fish bolts at the last second and your holding the line and rod.  Other than that it should be ok, but if you feel as if the fish is just too big point the rod at it and snap it off.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »

It definitely makes it more of a challenge. What you will have to decide is the types of flies you will be using and the presentation method. I would try more in the warmer months,  say March and April of next year to bring out the fly rod. Because in the winter months, most fly casters will be using longer rods, or even spey rods to cover as much water as possible. They will also be using sink tips and large flies to get it down to the fish. Not much fun with a single hander, and even less so if you are new to fly casting.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:00:33 AM »

Its on the light side for steelies.  One reason I don't use 6 wts in rivers in the winters (cutties aside) is because they won't cast the heavy flies I toss for bull trout (mostly the same flies one would use for steelies) and there isn't a type 8 sinking tip available for the 6wt Rio Versitip (the line preferred by most for winter rivers).  The type 8 gets down to the fish quickly and is very useful in cold rivers where fish don't move far for the fly.