Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cap fishing in november  (Read 7035 times)

scotkemp

cap fishing in november
« on: November 07, 2009, 05:56:28 PM »

is it worth going out to the cap at this time a year, i always drive to chilliwack and fish the vedder but thinking of trying something new tomorrow

Nitroholic

Re: cap fishing in november
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »

depends what you consider worth it

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »

Today water conditions in the morning were great but unfortunately all i could find was old springs.  I saw a few small coho but nothing chrome. 

From past years I would expect more of the larger coho now than springs but that was not the case this morning  :(

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »

The Cap is done for the year.  I have spent a few afternoons out there in the past week, nothing in there but lots of boot jack springs.  Probably best to leave those guys alone to go about their business..... 

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:10:22 AM »

Where do chums spawn in Capilano?  I've never seen them at the hatchery fish tanks!!!  ???
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:16:27 AM »

Lower river and Brother's Creek (no fishing).

Remember, there is no retention for chum in the Cap.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:23:50 AM »

I see more spawning each year in a specific spot I fish.  I also see a lot of Springs spawning in the same spot and have seen Steelhead there as well.  It is an area when the water comes up which has created a side channel with some nice gravel.  When the water drops during the summer this same area is bone dry for a few months. 

I wonder if any eggs survive?

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »

spring salmon eggs will hatch in early spring and i think the cap spring juveniles stay in the river for a year before heading out, so the water level around springtime is monitored by the district.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 07:46:24 AM »

Went yesterday first light (Wednesday) for few hours and was pleasantly surprised.   Tossed rubber jigs in a back eddie and hooked into 4 jacks in 1/2 hour.  Decided to try sticking a float on so i could fish the main flow and had some big boys on but couldn't land any.  I must have seen 10 larger coho come and mouth my jigs and even some boot springs came after it.  I would just toss it in the main flow and lightly pull on the rod for some action. 

The main flow i was fishing was 15-20 foot deep and my jig only 4 feet under the float and the fish would just appear out of the depths and mouth the jig, very cool.  I have never put a jig under a float like that but will try again on the weekend and hopefully the water levels stay good and i can have another go at them...

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »

wtg, the cap is not an easy river in november.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 03:45:41 PM »

I see more spawning each year in a specific spot I fish.  I also see a lot of Springs spawning in the same spot and have seen Steelhead there as well.  It is an area when the water comes up which has created a side channel with some nice gravel.  When the water drops during the summer this same area is bone dry for a few months. 

I wonder if any eggs survive?

I think I know where you mean.  Wondered the same.  That's where I first saw chum spawning in the Cap.  BUT they seem to be there year after year, so perhaps some do survive ???

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »

Look familiar?  Crappy cellphone picture but many chum and springs plus the odd coho and steelhead spawn here.  I like to refer to it as "the aquarium". 

In this picture you can see 10 or so springs but there were about 30 there when i took the picture.  A few weeks ago there were dozens of chum spawning as well.  This area is bone dry for much of the year.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 07:01:53 PM »

Too bad all those progeny go to waste.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »

That is one of the biggest factors that prohibit chum salmon population to establish successfully on the Capilano and Seymour River. Chum salmon are typically shallow spawners and on these systems where water discharge fluctuates significantly, mortality of the offsprings is quite high.

Capilano Mano

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »

Fortunately that side channel is more established now than it ever used to be. More water flows through there.The survival rate should be higher than it was a couple/few years ago.

Although the ground may look dried up, the eggs are often buried far enough under the gravel that the area may look dried up but there is actually still water under them keeping the eggs alive.