Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sturgeon shore fishing  (Read 7415 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: sturgeon shore fishing
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 04:18:36 PM »

can anyone reccomend a good shore sturgeon rod im having trouble finding anything 12ft or over?

Why do you want a 12 foot rod for sturgeon. Get a good 7-8 foot sturgeon rod. I have casted 7-8 foot rods from shore and never had a problem. If your fishing at a spot with a steep drop off you wont need to cast far anyways.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 04:39:48 PM »

how am i supposed to no the depth from shore dont no any deep spots

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »

Explore.

I will even give you some tips.

The north side of the Fraser past Pitt Meadows has lots of steep drop offs, the Fraser on the south side around Mission/Abby has lots of steep drop offs.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »

You spelled "KnoW" wrong twice.

Fire a cast out there.  I've always taken the square root of the time elapsed for the weight to sink, multiplied by two and halved the result and square that.  I then make a judgement call.  The closer the value obtained is to 0, the shallower the water will be.  Some say there are simpler ways, like looking at the slope of the bank. ;D

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »

spent the day at haney wharf skunked again used dew worms and some left over roe caught nothing but a cold

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 07:00:08 PM »

That's like putting out cheesys on the counter of a sushi bar...  Bruce's market had some fresh-ish roe recently... try some of that.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 08:46:37 PM »

i  just want to make sure im doing the set up right i use 80lb mainline to a three-way swival with drCon leader on the other side 2-3 foot to hook and then just tie 16 ounce wieght to the 3rd swiwal part

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »

Go into a tackle store and get the slider with a clip. You want beads below and above that clip. This slider is on the mainline. At the end of your mainline a swivel. Attach 18-24 inches of dacron leader. The weight is attached to the sliding clip. This way the weight slides and the fish dont feel the resistance when they pick up the bait.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 09:04:25 PM »

If you're casting from shore, switch the slider for a swivel floating on the mainline.  The plastic sliders cannot take the force of casting and you'll lose your $7 weight, ask me how I know. :)

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 09:32:51 PM »

I like to run 100 pound tuff line.  I start by sliding 2 large beads on the main line, then a large 1/0-2/0 snap swivel followed by 5 more beads, then tie on a 1/0-2/0 barrel swivel.  My leaders consists of 130 pound tuff line  and is about 30 inches long, depeding on the bait of choice. 

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 11:21:25 PM »

glx has it down.

The key to Sturgeon is matching the bait in the river at that time.
You are starting at the end of the smorgasbord.
You gotta get em when they are in the front of the line. ;)
Stll worth going.
Haney wharf is tidal so depending on tidal push has a lot to do with weight needed.
I basically run 14-22 oz depending where and when including the wharf.
Try the west end of the wharf and cast out on allmost a 45 degree angle .
Your line is going to end up down there anyway so the less bouncing the lesser chance of a hang up.
Do not leave your rod unattended for the slightest or you could be like me and watch it go fly over the railing.
A lanyard to the reel isnt a bad idea down there. ;)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 11:59:37 PM »

If I'm gonna be tying up roe bags and only partially paying attention to the rod, I put the reel on freespool and turn on the clicker.   When I'm done tying up bags, engage the drag for a faster hookset.

My set up in a Penn 330 with an Amundson Sturgeon/ Shimano Technium (just about the same rods).  My line is 150lbs Power Pro.  I thread the line through two big plastic beads, through the eye of a 20kg snap swivel, then two more plastic beads and tie to a 80kg swivel (I use a polamar knot here).  I take a 36" length of 96lbs sturgeon leader (dacron) then tie an egg-loop on a 8/0 Gammy covering most of the shank with the egg loop.  I tighten the knot by grabbing the tag end with pliars, and wrapping the leader around my sleeve.  The knot should be rock hard and should be impossible to spin on the shank without using pliars.  Tie the other end of the leader to the 80kg swivel with a knot that is a bit like a clinch knot, but meant for braids. 

NOTE: you're not going to be able to pinch the barb on a 8/0 Gammy without snapping it and leaving a faux-barb, so I take a Dremel to that stub and grind it down completely. 

Clip on a weight onto the snap of the 30kg swivel so that if you snag your weight, you'll just spend 10 seconds clipping on a new $7 weight, instead of 5 minutes trying up a new rig.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:11:20 AM by Matt »