Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeena AMP  (Read 2443 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Skeena AMP
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »

C&P from a recent email.

I am the author of the petition that opposes the Skeena AMP last year. I am writing to request your help once more. The Ministry of Environment (MOE) has spent the last year digesting our input and has just released the “Phase II Consultation Report” on the Angling Management Plan.  Recommendations from those drafting the plan still include guided-only rivers, limited entry lotteries, time restrictions, and increased fees. We have been given another narrow window of time in which to make ourselves heard, and we need to take advantage of it. Once again, we need to let the Ministers of Environment and Tourism know what we think of this plan. E-mails are great, and letters are better.

This is important, lets get it done.

In the letters that I write, I intend to make these points. Feel free to use them in yours.

1) I don’t think there is a crowding problem on the Skeena River System. The system is huge, and for those that want to avoid people, there are plenty of places to go. 

2) I think the quality of the angling experience is fantastic.

3) I think the licenses are already too expensive. For a non-resident American to fish for a single day on a class 1 river, the license would cost $180. To fish for a week on a Class 1 river, and a week on a Class 2 river would cost $560 for a non-resident and $76 for a resident. To put this in perspective, a full fee commercial gillnet license costs $710. 

4) If any of the suggestions of the draft AMP are imposed, I will spend less time and money in BC.

A quick and easy way to contact the Environment and Tourism Ministries is through the website www.steelheadparadise.com.  Contact information for the appropriate ministers is listed below.

Minister of Tourism:

HONOURABLE KEVIN KRUEGER
PO BOX 9071 STN PROV GOVT
VICTORIA BC V8W 9E9
Email:  TCA.minister@gov.bc.ca

Minister of Environment:

HONOURABLE BARRY PENNER
PO Box 9047
STN PROV GOVT
Victoria BC V8W 9E2
Email: env.minister@gov.bc.ca

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Skeena AMP
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »

I see the Yanks crying/p*ss*ng/moaning about this on their Internet Fora and it is a contentious issue.

The fact is though that some Yanks have spoiled it for other foreigners by guiding unlawfully- being so obvious it's almost laughable.

Add to that the inevitable crowding that happens as Salmon run out in other places and what is the Govt to do-how to respond?

Look @ fishing for Atlantic Salmon in places like Iceland or even Nova Scotia-not cheap-if you wanna play you gotta pay.