Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to buy Salmon Jerky  (Read 12444 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Where to buy Salmon Jerky
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 12:21:10 PM »

A few things to add:

- I use reuseable tupperware type of plastic trays - about 12" x 18" x 2" deep - instead of using ziplock bags
   You didn't mention if you put them in the fridge or not but the plastic trays are stackable in the fridge so they don't take up too much space

- Don't cut the pieces too small or they'll fall through the smoker racks!

- Alder wood chips make for a light smoke, cherry makes a stronger smoke taste and darker fish

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »

Don't cut the pieces too small or they'll fall through the smoker racks!

When drying - use toothpicks to hang the smaller pieces within the rack and then simply transfer the rack (toothpicks and all) directly to the smoker.  Makes for good coverage throughout in this fashion.

Heres another Indian Candy recipe that has pictures of the entire process - Got the link from a posting made by bbronswyk2000 a couple of months earlier:

http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=48342&view=&hl=Indian%20Candy&fromsearch=1

I've got me two very clean chum in the freezer earmarked for recipe.  ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

fletcher

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:15:01 AM »

Hey Stratocaster,

Finally getting around to trying your receipe.  Two questions however.  On the second brine did you mean to say 2 cups of golden or brown sugar or is it really 2 pounds?  Second question is do I have to refrigerate after completed or is it like beef jerky where I can leave it unrefrigerated?

My fish is sitting in first brine right now and will be put in second brine tomorrow.  Can't wait to smoke it up and give it a try.

Thanks again!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »

Sorry for the late reply (I was on vacation in Florida).  Hope your salmon jerky turned out ok.  The measurements for the sugar brine are approximates.  Just as long as the brine is sweet and you leave it in there until the desired textured is acheived, you should get the same results.  I would keep your fish refridgerated all the time even after smoking.

I'm picking up a large batch of Sockeye this weekend.  Can't wait to make more Jerky!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »

Hey Stratocaster,

Finally getting around to trying your receipe.  Two questions however.  On the second brine did you mean to say 2 cups of golden or brown sugar or is it really 2 pounds?  Second question is do I have to refrigerate after completed or is it like beef jerky where I can leave it unrefrigerated?

My fish is sitting in first brine right now and will be put in second brine tomorrow.  Can't wait to smoke it up and give it a try.

Thanks again!

The stuff you buy in the stores is loaded with preservatives, that's why you don't need to refrigerate it.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[