Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, October 29th 2009  (Read 752 times)

fishbuster

Tidal Fraser River, October 29th 2009
« on: October 30, 2009, 09:09:49 AM »

After being out yesterday and only having 2 bites and no fish to show for it, I thought I would give it another shot.  So I loaded up the bar rod and thought I would put in the spinning rod for something new.  I never take the spinning rod bar fishing with me when I'm fishing for coho.  So I arrive at the chosen bar, set up, and make my first cast with the bar rod. For the next 3 or so hours I have action.  A hatchery jack,  a hatchery cutthrout, a wild jack and 2 wild cutthrout and a number of misses.  The tide changes and the bite dies off.  So I think at that time maybe I'll try spinning.  I see nothing but you never know.  Second cast I feel a tug and I set the hook and out of the water fly's a coho, I'm in shock.  A great battle I gently bring the fish in and it's a wild so I release it back to the wild. I continue on and have a couple taps but no fish.  I slide down river a bit and a short time later I feel the tug and give the hook set and fish on once again.  This one may be a jack I think, but no sooner I think that a out of the water come a coho.   Another Wild.  I can hardly believe this, two coho in less than half an hour.  Well I try for the next hour and I land a fair size cutthrout.  Time to head home.  So after 20 plus years of bar fishing I think I will be taking my spinning rod with me more often.  Change can sometimes be good. 

Dr. Backlash

Re: Tidal Fraser River, October 29th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »

Awesome report!  The water clarity is still pretty decent for spinner/spoon fishing; sometimes it gets a little boring sitting and waiting for the bell to ring on the bar rod.  I can't wait to get out this weekend - its good to hear that the Coho are still lurking around in decent numbers.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: Tidal Fraser River, October 29th 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »

hmmmm...think i'll try the afternoon high tide tommorrow. very encouraging. :)