Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Best Book for Learning to Tie Flies  (Read 7064 times)

SMo007

The Best Book for Learning to Tie Flies
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »

I am looking for an illustrated book with step by step instructions for learning to tie flies. If I had my druthers it would consist of west coast fishing flies, but learning how to tie is the most important aspect. It needs to be clear and concise, as I've never tied a fly before and somethings that might seem like common knowledge is completely new to myself. If you have a great suggestion for a DVD or website I would certainly be interested in that too, but a book is what I'm after to start. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Cheers
Stephen

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: The Best Book for Learning to Tie Flies
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:54:30 AM »

If you do a google search and type in "tying a (fly pattern)" you will frequently get a video clip showing someone tying that specific fly.  And, usually you will get quite a few hits (check U Tube too) so you can compare and contrast the minute differences. This will allow you to focus on specifc fly patterns for what you want to tie.
President Club S. C. & P.

Banny

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »

I think the internet now far outstretches what any one book can show you.  Start with the beginners tying section at Flyanglersonline.com and go from there.

Good Luck :)

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »

Although the internet is a great resource I still use alot of books for learning new patterns, a great book to get you started would be "the fly Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole. It has 100 deadly trout and salmon flies with step by step photographs, it is also spiral bound which makes it easy to use on your tying desk.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »

I own the Fly Tying bible and its a great book. I also have a couple others. A spey fly book by John Shewey and the Fly Tying Encyclopedia which is frigging huge and has hundreds of flies  :o like i mean its almost to many flies LOL

What type of flies are you looking to tie?? trout, salmon, steelhead, intruders, tubes, speys & dees, saltwater .......
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

whereismyfloat

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »

My vote is for the internet. Just go an check various local fishing reports or tackle shop homepages to gather yourself a selection of patterns that are known to work. Then go a googling for the recipes!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 08:13:13 PM »

i have a dvd, fly tiers benchside reference, i think its called.  some good basic to more advanced stuff in there.  most everything you'll need to know anyways.  The internet is great too, of course.

one more cast

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:06:57 PM »

You can't go wrong with books by Phil Rowley...all BC patterns ;)

He also has dvd's out in local fly shops.

-Steve

teamwee

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »

Although the internet is a great resource I still use alot of books for learning new patterns, a great book to get you started would be "the fly Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole. It has 100 deadly trout and salmon flies with step by step photographs, it is also spiral bound which makes it easy to use on your tying desk.

I second the fly tying bible. I'm new to the sport as well and learning to tie flys. The book is great help as I'm tying and unlike the net, can refer to it at will as I'm tying.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »

Internet... best place to start for nearly everything.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »

Books,DVDS, and internet videos are great resources to learn how to tie flies, but if you can find a fly tying 101 course offered at a shop or night class I highly recommend taking it, its worth the time and money if you're serious about fly fishing. Having an instructor guide you through the finer points of thread tension,fly proportions, and dubbing techniques saves you time and $$ in wasted materials as well as frustration.

I took a tying course instructed by Phil Rowley at the old Babcocks when he still lived in Langely. Being a commercial tyer he is a wealth of info on short cuts,tips on how to tame hard to handle materials,mass tying for production,and entomology. Once I had the basics learned fly recipies and resource material became easy. You will understand why some flies are tied the way they are and where you can take short cuts to modify your patterns for simplicity for speed tying.
It ain't the roe bro'

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »

Book, DVDs etc are all good after you have been shown the basics. There are just some things in life that require at least some hands on. To put it in perspective; how long do you think it would have you to learn how to drive a car with a book? take a few lessons or get someone who knows how to show you the basics.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »

I have just started tying this winter.
The internet was the single most helpfull tool i used.
Pick a few patterns and go and get the supplies to tie them.
Get good at them before you move on.

There are only so many manouevers in tying and once you have them down it is just a matter of mixing and matching materials and manouevers.
I think the lessons are a great idea but unless you have a really good memory or video the lessons you wont remember half of it if your like me at all.
I print patterns off the puter all the time so i can then take it to the desk with me for reference.

Let the fun begin... ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »

there is alot more then just a few manouvers in fly tying, trust me  ::) I know quite alot of them and i doubt i even know half of the things you can do with stuff. the possibilities are endless it seems which is why i love it  ;D If my wife had her way i would have never started tying cause now im always at that desk LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 11:04:58 PM »

Yes Hook you are so correct.
You can make fly tying as extreme as you like but for the most part and certainly from a beginners viewpoint there are some basic manouevers to tie a huge amount of BC patterns.

I just picked up the new Phil Rowley book Stillwater Selections and it is a dandy.
Has materials list and step by step recipe to tie 50 BC stillwater favourites along with a hatch chart for each species shown and some other goodies.
This was $24.95 worth spending and would highly recommend this book.