Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the future of the fresh water salmon SPORTS fishery in BC?  (Read 7589 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer

I took a couple of walks on the capilano this weekend and was saddened to see the display there. 

I got into a verbale altercation when I asked a guy if the bait ban was still in effect.  He and his buddy were using roe in the cable pool saturday mid day and was absolutely abnoxious when I asked him if it was still in effect.  His buddy Dave said he wasn't planning on keeping any fish...I guess you can decide when you want to follow the rules now?

On sunday, I watched a guy reefing at the end of each drift.  He snagged a fish in the belly, pulled it up out of the water, grabbed it by the gills...when I asked him if he intended to keep it, he gave me some F bombs thrown in with "I've been fishing this river for 40 years"....then why do you yank at the end of each drift...surely you must know thats why you are snagging fish. 

Went to the foot bridge at the cable pool and saw 3 guys on that rock below.  their floats were set so deep they lay on they sides.  They would cast out to the far end of the pool then jig (5 foot sweeps) there gear back in, and thats another thing, most people are fishing 4-6 foot leaders.  14 "fishers" visible from the cable pool, many doing the reef and jerk float fishing method.

To see our fishery across so many rivers be totally degraded and bastardized by flossing and snagging is absolutlely sickening for me personally.  I am not sure what can be done....better regs, better enforcement, shutting down the fraser to flossing, leader length restrictions, higher annualized licence fees?  Any other pratical ideas that could help the lower mainland's fresh water salmon fishers treat the resource with a little more care and respect? 

Am I alone here or does anyone else feel like things have to change?  ???

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: What is the future of the fresh water salmon SPORTS fishery in BC?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »

increase enforcement of current regs, online exam before licence is issued to cover the basics, leader length restriction or circle hooks may be necessary (haven't actually tried the circle hooks but will be testing them out soon.)  To help increase enforcement there should be something similar to the community volunteer police officers.  Volunteers who have taken a training course could give out warnings and mark down licences.  Then if the same person is caught by a CO or FO the fine given could be sustantially higher...

doja

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:57:24 AM »

Were they catching any fish?

Water looks high enough to make landing a fish difficult let alone a fouled hooked fish.

Also I heard that chums open for keeping after the bait ban, is it true?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:02:17 AM by doja »

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:02:13 AM »

You are not alone on you sentiments about river fishing and unfortunately things aren't very likely to change anytime soon. As we all know the main problem is lack of enforcement, with the continuing cutbacks that are made every year we are unlikely to see any more officers on the river.

Although venting ones anger online may relieve some stress it doesn't help solve any problems, best coarse of action would be to join one of the groups that are trying to make changes. Alone our voices can't be heard but sometimes there is strength in numbers.

You could always give up river fishing and take up stillwater fishing? Its very relaxing and you never have to deal with snaggers on the lake.  ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:27:48 AM »

I used to always take a drive up to Cable Pool after I was done fishing but used to just end up going home angry.  There are a few who even go after the steelhead there and bonk whatever they catch.

I've only seen a handful of guys over the years where I fish as it's a 15-20 minute walk from the car and was completely surprised when I did see a couple guys on Sunday wander down.  Seems like the further you go from the parking lots, the more the fisherman are actually into "fishing".

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »

hey gooey

1. there will be no extra or new CO officers. Volunteers will be needed from all fishery organizations such as hatcheries and clubs to do enforcement where they will take pictures/video for evidence and uphold current regulations for CO officers. Major rivers such as Stave, Vedder, Cap, Chehalis and Harrison will need the bulk of volunteers. Certain areas most polluted by snaggers on the fraser can be concentrated on as well(especially during sockeye season).

2. Higher fines. These fines should also include immediate confiscation of all gear and transport such as boats. Mandatory community service such as working at a hatchery should be a prerequisite. Fines need to be tripled and these funds directed toward hatchery operations and stream rehabilitation.

3. Keep a cell phone handy. If someone is abusing the rules or fish you can tell the guy your calling CO immediately. that usually gets a guy to leave right away. this is handy if someone flips you the bird.

4. Refine and improve the restrictions. No hooks larger that certain size. No bouncing betties and no leaders longer that say half your rod length.

some would say these "measures " are draconian and biased towards law abiding fisherman. Oh well! You want things to change than you must implement jagged and harsh rules that discourage the snagger. :)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »

I think the RCMP should be a little more involved.  I see them drive up Triangle road in Richmond 2 cars at a time a lot but they have never check me.  I assume they are looking for partiers etc...  I have also seen the West Van cops cruise down to the parking lot by cable pool and just turn around back up the road.  Wouldn't take much to teach them the basics (barbed hooks, snagging etc...) and we all know on any weekend at any popular hole in any local river there could be many violations written up.

Most snaggers stick to easily accessible locations that can be driven to.

I generally fish by myself and don't feel comfortable confronting most people while I'm alone for obvious reasons.  A picture of the offender and plates sounds great but does anything ever come of it???

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:33:14 AM »

Seems like the further you go from the parking lots, the more the fisherman are actually into "fishing".

You figured it out.  :)

As a general rule: the closer to the parking, the beekier the fishers.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »

Cable pool in the Cap is a sacrificial fishery.  Seeing as there isn't going to be any enforcement, ever, on systems with snagging, let them snag in cable pool where fish are stagnant.  Its right at the top of the river, so whatever happens up there isn't going to affect what's below.  The hatchery is always going to have enough fish for next year so it won't diminish future runs.  Fish below Cable pool where there's less crowded water.  Its not the best solutions, but harm reduction is often the best of the solutions at hand.

What I don't understand is why they don't get more CO's and send them out to the snagfests to "earn their keep".  Only write tickets for offenses that won't be debatable in court and go to town.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »

Gooey, I admire your courage for mentioning it to people when you see abuse.  Just seems like its not worth it when all you get is an abusive response.

I think a lot of people starting out may have no idea about the regulations and I am not excusing that but they have very few good examples to work with as I have discovered in the two seasons I have been at this.   You get out on the river as a relatively new fisherman, see  some guy 'catching' twenty' to your zero and when you ask why they tell you to double your depth and next thing you 'magically' find yourself doing equally well - from that point on that is what you do.  Its a bit of a herd mentality that is hard to get away from.   I was out on the Vedder with my wife a few weeks ago and she was accusing me of not listening to the 'more experienced' fishermen when I refused to double the length of my leader or increase my fishing depth.  (Since then we have been doing quite well and she sometimes tells me to shorten my depth or leader length :))

I know I am not perfect and still learning but it is very hard when I take my nephew out with me and find myself explaining why it is wrong to snag fish in the body, why it is cruel to leave fish alive and suffocating when it could easily be dispatched with a rock, why it is harmful to drag fish up on the rocks and kick them back in the water again.   Sometimes I feel I want to shout at these people and give them a good kick just like those fish but I know it will do no good - just wish there was a way.  The best hope I can see is to try to educate kids about acceptable practices.

Short of that I have to agree with what redtide says.  Its just to bad people have to be treated like children.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:33:59 PM by fishseeker »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

On sunday, I watched a guy reefing at the end of each drift.  He snagged a fish in the belly, pulled it up out of the water, grabbed it by the gills...when I asked him if he intended to keep it, he gave me some F bombs thrown in with "I've been fishing this river for 40 years"....then why do you yank at the end of each drift...surely you must know thats why you are snagging fish. 

May be that explains where all the "bad" techniques came from ;)

So many times on this forum, I've seen people saying "I can't find it in regs" "How many can I retain?" and so forth.  I really think url links to fishing regulation and updates should be printed on both tidal and non-tidal licenses.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »

Well the future is non retention of any species-100% non kill just like Sturgeon.

80% of the fishermen would disappear like smoke, 10% would still be trying to cheat and the rest of us would be in clover.

NOTE-THIS MUST BE THE FUTURE if the fishery is to have any future at all.

Of course then we have the politics on fisheries management-which in BC is often 'let them all be extirpated then we don't have to spend money on it anymore.'

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »

Cable pool in the Cap is a sacrificial fishery.  Seeing as there isn't going to be any enforcement, ever, on systems with snagging, let them snag in cable pool where fish are stagnant.  Its right at the top of the river, so whatever happens up there isn't going to affect what's below.  The hatchery is always going to have enough fish for next year so it won't diminish future runs.  Fish below Cable pool where there's less crowded water.  Its not the best solutions, but harm reduction is often the best of the solutions at hand.

What I don't understand is why they don't get more CO's and send them out to the snagfests to "earn their keep".  Only write tickets for offenses that won't be debatable in court and go to town.

This solution may work for you but it does nothing for the fish.  Assuming that the hatchery will always have enough fish while funding for hatcheries drops is maybe a little short sighted.

UFC

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 09:12:41 PM »

Extra CO's will not be the answer due to funding levels. It's quite possible that additional areas could/will be shut down due to abuse (i.e. look at the Campbell River this year). If they are shutting down areas that are subject to continual abuse, then maybe its not such a bad idea. It will send the snaggers to fish areas of the river that their tactics don't work as well in. They will either get frustrated and not want to come back, or maybe they've actually learn to fish the right way.  Leader length restrictions and reduced retention limits may also help.

Either way we will never completely be rid of questionable fishing tactics. I've been at this for over 30 years and can remember observing many abuses (snagging, retention in closed areas, etc) when I was younger. I think the techniques have become a little more widespread but its not like they've just cropped up.

I would support ideas that help reduce the ability of snaggers/poachers to practice their tactics.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »

As I mentioned a few days ago we are bringing back a committee in late November that put a paper together for FOC to consider about 4 years ago to try and improve recreational angler ethics etc..

This time I think they may take better notice of us as the snagging, flossing and abuse of fish has got worse year after year since then.

The members are all experienced anglers and have no vested interest other than trying their best to attempt to get recreational angling back to what it once was. The group also has FOC reps as well as the FOC Community adviser on it.

Unfortunately the SFAB and UFVSFAC has not moved as much as they should have on this issue in the past. Apparently at the UFVSFAC meeting last week maybe the light is starting to glow a little brigher than it has in the past as they are starting to see what is happening, the writing on the blackboard is getting clearer now.