Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder/Chilliwack River Coho  (Read 30300 times)

Catch44

Re: Vedder/Chilliwack River Coho
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »

Yea I have some cured already in the fridge..Ill give that a go next weekend when I go out again.Hate having to wait so long between trips..just want to go everyday..so nice to get out there..and also for the challange

Fisherama

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »

Went up just above the tamahi bridge..the local hotspot was full.very full.so tried just above and below and didnt get anything in about 3 hrs..I'am I doing something wrong here?..I used wool..and short leader..and went in holes that looked great but nothing.And I see guys yanking out some while I was there..like a fair bit and on the forum as well..wish I could land some..Any tips would sure be great...but still nice to get out and try.

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly.  Don't pay too much attention to what everyone else is doing there as Tamahi is renowned for flossing/snagging, although short floating pocket water can be very effective there.  With the visibility down, wool probably isn't the greatest option, roe, blades, or jigs would probably a better choice (ie. something with scent or with higher visibility).  Also, when the water is high and vis is low, try fishing pockets close to shore, even if they're only a few feet deep (adjust your float accordingly), you'd be surprised where fish will be holding.  If not for coho, you should at least hook into some chum!!   

Catch44

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »

Awsome..thnx for the tips and advice...I guess i have should have known better and went with something with some smell...Just can get frustrating..and also being a lil green doesnt help either...its been a few yrs(3-4)..so kinda outta touch with it all...like riding a bike..it all comes back in time.And your right..seems to be some flossing or snagging going on..I wonder how many were actually caught..but..when you feel a bump or see the float go down..arent ya suppose to hit it...

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2009, 08:41:16 PM »

Catch 44, Fishing around tamahi offers only limited water to hook fish fairly while the river is running high. The best way to fish in the Tamahi Rapids for me is to watch the snaggers/flossers and find which side of the river most of the coho are being pulled out of. Once you have picked a side, look for a slow slick of water, usually behind logs and boulders which hug the bank. I find fishing this short slow slick or stretch of water is best done with roe, match your bait size to the water clarity. This has worked for me, I only fish this way when the water is high with very little vis, as I know the fish are moving and Ill be passing it right infront of there faces.

Of course youll never catch the numbers of fish the way the other guys are fishing, but youll at least walk away feeling good with a fish that took your bait, unlike the 100's of fish that were pulled from the river unwillingly.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:46:06 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

Catch44

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »

yea for sure..i was on the side of the river where the fish where comming up..and who am i to say..no one of coarse..but saw lots of fisihgn rods being gripped and ripped.but if the float dipps or or a big bump......but again im a rookie..so whos to say..yea when i go on the next weekend..im going to use my cured roe..and head above tamahi..like alison pool or something...or maybe down low..train bridge area..and thnx for the tips and advice..its great...and great bs as well..thank you.

UFC

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2009, 10:11:18 PM »

another tip if you are fishing pocket water is to find a slow spot just above a large rock or rocks that the fish have a difficult time to swim by. Quite often they'll ascend the fash water and then hold just above the large rocks in slower water. I find I have much better success at the end of the 'pocket' than the front of it. And yes I agree with the comment about fishing close to shore. You'd be surprised at how many good fish can be caught right next to shore in a few feet of water, if you find the right spot when the water is high.

FishOn36

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »

Went up just above the tamahi bridge..the local hotspot was full.very full.so tried just above and below and didnt get anything in about 3 hrs..I'am I doing something wrong here?..I used wool..and short leader..and went in holes that looked great but nothing.And I see guys yanking out some while I was there..like a fair bit and on the forum as well..wish I could land some..Any tips would sure be great...but still nice to get out and try.

It's not easy fishing there, it took me about 4 hours to catch one coho..and that's all I got that day. Gotta keep playing around with your float depths, until you hit bottom and then adjust it accordingly. It takes a lot of patience, but even if you hook into one fish it makes the trip out there worth it.

coho killer

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »

1 crome wild landed today, and lost a tomato.

mr.p

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2009, 12:00:03 AM »

Ummm....why would you want to fish Tamahi right now?  I don't see any enjoyment in standing in one spot fishing a 5x5' pocket of water.
Wouldn't you rather get a nice drift and fish some tailouts?

Nothing wrong with fishing pocket water, but normally this involves moving from pocket to pocket looking for fish.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

FishOn36

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »

Ummm....why would you want to fish Tamahi right now?  I don't see any enjoyment in standing in one spot fishing a 5x5' pocket of water.
Wouldn't you rather get a nice drift and fish some tailouts?

Nothing wrong with fishing pocket water, but normally this involves moving from pocket to pocket looking for fish.

Personally, it's not the fishing for me. I like to have some decent room while fishing to avoid tangle ups with people whose fish that take off on them, and DON'T call it out telling people that they have a fish on  >:(. That happened to me TWICE the other day with the same guy, he was fishing a little ways up from me, would get a fish on..and then I'd just barely see his black/grey braid line come in front of me as soon as I casted then we had a nice couple of tangle ups.

Fishnut-sparky

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2009, 11:08:59 AM »

I was fishing a little way above Allison canyon on Thursday and friday last week.  Thursday and at first light on Friday the water color was good caught Coho, Chum, and springs on bright green early in the day, then switched to peach with a little bit of bubble gum pink and caught the same.

ended up with 3 nice chrome hatchery coho.  Put back 2 hatchery coho jacks, several wild Coho and probably 10-15 dark springs and chums each day.

Friday morning after the water came up I changed to a dark pink and red combination and had luck catching fish.

working a small slot with no other people around and staying back from the edge seem to be the key elements after you find a color that works that day..

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »

I was fishing a little way above Allison canyon on Thursday and friday last week.  Thursday and at first light on Friday the water color was good caught Coho, Chum, and springs on bright green early in the day, then switched to peach with a little bit of bubble gum pink and caught the same.

ended up with 3 nice chrome hatchery coho.  Put back 2 hatchery coho jacks, several wild Coho and probably 10-15 dark springs and chums each day.

Friday morning after the water came up I changed to a dark pink and red combination and had luck catching fish.

working a small slot with no other people around and staying back from the edge seem to be the key elements after you find a color that works that day..

wool color must be the key, seems you had good success with all your color combos. :D

Fishnut-sparky

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »

Finding the right color for the day and particular time seems to always be the most dificult part...

coho killer

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2009, 02:29:05 PM »

Only hooked 2 this morning and lost both, 1 right on shore. Water is pretty high with low vis. Time to take a break for a couple of days :(

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2009, 03:31:29 PM »

Finding the right color for the day and particular time seems to always be the most dificult part...

LOL