Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The End Of Fish  (Read 3928 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The End Of Fish
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »

Not sure if this has been posted before but something to cheer you up: ::)

http://www.tnr.com/article/environment-energy/aquacalypse-now?page=0,0#

Gaffer

Re: The End Of Fish
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:00:47 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted before but something to cheer you up: ::)

http://www.tnr.com/article/environment-energy/aquacalypse-now?page=0,0#

Terrific article Chris --- Pogo once said" I has seen the enemy and he is us"  Wonder who buys all these Tonnes & Tonnes of fish that are caught daily? Does this mean we  shouldn't buy Alantic Salmon @ Costco now since it takes 10 lbs of ground fish from Chille to produce one lb of A Salmon and the Fish Farms only employ 500 workers in the whole of BC . Who's at fault Eh?--- Cheers

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »

Interesting report from an interesting paper. Hope more people down there and up here read it. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »

Chilling report.

On a side note, my late uncle Andre (a winemaker and philosopher from a tiny island in the Adriatic Sea that my paternal family hails from) said about the Sea back in the 80s: "Only jellyfish will be left after we are done with eating it all". Scary foresight (and he didn't need a degree in Marine Biology or Eco Science.)

As profit driven humanity continues to lose common sense, we rely on scientists to tell us what common sense should.

Sad.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:59:21 AM by milo »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »

On a side note, my late uncle Andre (a winemaker and philosopher from a tiny island in the Adriatic Sea that my paternal family hails from) said about the Sea back in the 80s: "Only jellyfish will be left after we are done with eating it all".

He obviously hasn't been out for a full-course Chinese meal.  Jellyfish a-plenty!  lol

I shouldn't joke, it's a scary situation.  If only the anglers of the world (or even of a region) could band together for one powerful lobby-group like all of the corporate interests are so efficient at doing.  Of course, it SOUNDS easy...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:13:01 AM »

He obviously hasn't been out for a full-course Chinese meal.  Jellyfish a-plenty!  lol

I shouldn't joke, it's a scary situation.  If only the anglers of the world (or even of a region) could band together for one powerful lobby-group like all of the corporate interests are so efficient at doing.  Of course, it SOUNDS easy...
Very good idea and I have suggested this to a few people in having all environmental people as well as groups concerned about things related to fish stock depletion caused by sea lice, run of the river projects, gravel mining on our rivers, loss of fish habitat due to urbanization to name only a few to band together as a strong lobby and say "we are not going to take it any longer" .

However a few people told me in some cases there is an ego issue to deal with. However I am not sure of that when I attended the  Wild Salmon Circle protest at Vancouver last Saturday I sure saw a lot of groups including a heavy present and support of First Nations there working as a common good to stop fish farms doing so much damage to some of our wild fish stocks, I think we may be moving in the right direction.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »

You have to change it at the consumer level with a marketing campaign designed to reduce people's fish consumption.  Otherwise, nothing will change.  $ is too powerful.