Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing the Big Qualicum this weekend....Any pointers?  (Read 1152 times)

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
Fishing the Big Qualicum this weekend....Any pointers?
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »

Well, I'm planning on taking the family over to the island for the weekend and I thought I may as well take advantage of some island fishing.  This will be the first time ever fishing the Big Qualicum and was wondering if any one who's fished it has any useful tips on doing so.

I've been reading the regs and from what I understand, Oct 1st you can start keeping fish but it seems that all of region 1 (Vancouver island) is bait banned. This confuses me as I've heard of people using roe in the Stamp. I also know that trespassing on First Nation land is not allowed and that I can fish below the hatchery but up the the train bridge?

Anyways, I was wondering if people have any productive fishing tips for fishing the Big Qualicum please. Thanks

Please feel free to email me at   ptamkee at hotmail dot com 
Thanks!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Fishing the Big Qualicum this weekend....Any pointers?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:21:14 PM »

The Big Q used to be flys only in fall when I fished it many years ago. Check the regulation.
The most productive spots seem to be the two shallow pools right below the hatchery.
Bring your heavy fly rod (8/9 wt) if you want to land some of the big springs there. I had landed a 42 lber on a 9 wt fly rod in late August (an unusual return year). But generally you get them in fall.

Good luck & tight line.