Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inexpensive eBay Spinning reel  (Read 8582 times)

Stu

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Inexpensive eBay Spinning reel
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:35:36 PM »

looks kinda of cheap....but you got 4 mins to decide! lol

mr.p

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »

You get what you pay for. 
Aren't the top of the line spinning small spinning reels like $100 anyways?
Spend the little extra and buy a reel that will last.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Stu

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:41:50 PM »

I know, it looks cheap, but the one I have right now is not much better ( it has a fairly noticeable wobble )

how about this:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BRAND-NEW-KLG500-SERIES-SPINNING-FISHING-REEL-10-1BB_W0QQitemZ190331762033QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c50a83571&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:50:53 PM »

For the shipping charges and the wait time, till you get the reel is it worth the five or ten dollars you will save.  You can go to Wally Mart or Crappy Tire, and get something just as good. Or you could start supporting your local tackle shop. Many times they will wind the line on your reel for free, and also give you useful tips to insure you get good use out of the reel. Can't get that done on Ebay. Now don't get me wrong, I buy stuff on Ebay, but when it comes to the inexpensive stuff, better to shop locally. My two cents worth.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:52:46 PM »

Dont fall for the no name brand crap on EBAY most are cheap knockoffs. If they send it to you and you use it and after a couple trips its broken what can you do? Nothing. Just go and spend about $50 on a decent spinning reel from your local tackle shop. The information and friendship you gain from a local shop is invaluable.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

kodiak

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »

In my opinion it's definately worth spending a little extra on a good reel. You'll save your self alot of headaches, land more fish (I find the drag on cheap reels is unrealiable) and you'll get more life out of it. I bought a shimano stradic over 10 years ago and its still the best spinning reel I have, well worth the money spent.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 11:11:22 PM »

Cheap "Made in China" garbage.
Take a hint from the seller's location: Hong Kong
Yet, the shipping is FREE. :o

This means that the value of the reel is probably a buck or two max.
One good fish on that reel and it's a goner.

You can get a better reel than that for 10 bucks at the Army and Navy's cheapo bins.

But as others have said, spend a few extra bucks and get yourself a reel that will last you at least a few seasons, not just a few casts.

Stu

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »

Thank you for confirming the obvious, I will buy locally something that I can actually try before buying.
Any tackle shops you would recommend close to Burnaby?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »

From Burnaby, the closest ones are...

Sea Run Fly and Tackle in Coquitlam: http://www.sea-run.com/

Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond: http://www.berrysbait.com/

Pacific Angler in Vancouver: http://www.pacificangler.ca/

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »

I bought my daughter a Diawa crossfire coffee grinder to get her started on river float fishing(shes afraid to use a level wind...lol) at wally mart...cost was 19.95, you cant beat that for a name brand and if something goes wrong you can take it back.
Take the T out of Morton.

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »

C'mon guys, you don't need expensive fishing tackle to catch fish.  It might not be as smooth and stuff but it could handle most of the pinks.  don't expect that reel to be catching fish in the 10lbs+ range.  Stuff made from china is not necessary "garbage", it's inexpensive and it's a good way for some people to get into the sport without having to spend a fortune. 

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 01:33:55 PM »

C'mon guys, you don't need expensive fishing tackle to catch fish.  It might not be as smooth and stuff but it could handle most of the pinks.  don't expect that reel to be catching fish in the 10lbs+ range.  Stuff made from china is not necessary "garbage", it's inexpensive and it's a good way for some people to get into the sport without having to spend a fortune. 
Certainly on the pinks I agree.  I have been using a relatively cheap lightweight outfit I bought at Canadian Tire and it works great if not better than a lot of the expensive too heavy outfits many people were using on them.   

For the larger 10lb+ fish I imagine something a little better might be needed especially when it comes to bait casters. [...Mind you, I bought I really cheap heavy weight spinner combo from Berries Bait and tackle for 40 bucks that I intend to use on chums.  Bet you it will work just fine but it will probably need a better quality line].

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »

Or you could buy the shimano snapshot reels from walmart for like 30$... they are a good enough reel.  I should know, I have had like 10 of them  ;D

Or you could get one good reel, but you would be sad when you lose it or step on it or get sand in it etc.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »

True enough.  :)
Some of my high end gear is made in China, too. :o

However, when you have a product that sells out of Hong-Kong for ten bucks with free shipping, you got to stop and think: Is it too good to be true? Of course it is.
It's a wobbly disposable POJ. Fine to loan to a friend or use on an occasion or two for trout, but simply not tough enough to withstand the rigueurs of serious salmon angling. It's coho, chum and chinook season. That reel can't handle it. Mark my words.