Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Short floating  (Read 15482 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Short floating
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »

not sure if dew worms will work in the Vedder but they tend to work quite well in waters where there is lots of over hanging grass and stuff.  ;) Dew worms will work for steelies thats a given, they will work for Coho as well just not everywhere. Im not sure if they will work or any other species though  :-\ perhaps you could test it out for us while i keep catching lots on roe  ;D LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Short floating
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 07:14:59 PM »

i use a baitcaster to short float, but my dad doesn't like those kind of reels cause of tangles...I want to take him on the vedder and someone told me that a spinning reel isnt really the best reel to drift or float fish with is there another reel you can fish with. I was just thinking a fly fishing reel with normal line on it and just pull the line out when it goes down the river could you do that or not?

No, the fly reel is definitely the wrong tool here as it doesn't free spool.  Baitcasting reels tangle once in a blue moon once you've spent a couple hours with them.  Set the spool tension so that the weight you're casting will slowly drop to the ground without any backlash.  When casting, just drag your thumb on the spool enough so that you don't overrun.  You dont have to remove your thumb from the spool entirely ever during the cast.

The baitcasting reel is the most versatile reel there is.  Learn to use it properly and its a very useful tool.  They can't be that tough as some of the people using them on "local rivers" struggle with the concept of adding (4 pinks + 4 coho = 4 salmon... right?).