Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Short floating  (Read 15360 times)

fisher man

Re: Short floating
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »

I was up there last wedsneday and i swear i was fishing right next to that same guy Don't be fooled he was fouling 70% of his catches.At the end of his run he would hold the line tight then pull up on his rod.I was right next to him fishing the same way you were and caught a little less than him but 70% were takes.

Also i am a newbie on this forum and have fished for 15 to 20 years, I'm the kind of guy who can't talk the talk but i know what to do.I just grab what i know i need and go.I hope this will help me get more educated and more fish.

Keep your lines tight.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »

--similar problem drifting single egg pattern fly with sink tip.
--we are trying to catch trout that are after the floating eggs not the salmon.
--we either cast upstream and dead drift or downstream mending line to get the egg bouncing off the bottom
--as soon as you start swinging the line across water you will start flossing the salmon (which we don't want to do)

--in faster water you might want to try drop shot style with three way swivel..weight on bottom with spoon or spinner or single egg attached to three way above. Again have to get a dead drift..the egg or spinner should be directly downstream, can also use a tumbling spoon on this same rig. again we were using this rig for trout or whitefish. if you start ripping the line in on an angle you will start to snag fish you have to let the drift finish and bring line in directly upstream.
-- I reallies you guys might be fishing where it is crowded but as long as everyone is finishing their drift you won't hook each other either.
--we have the luxury of fishing with very few people around and know most of them.
--In our case most are laughing at the guy who screws up and snaggs a fish as that reduced their chance at the trout or whitefish.
--it takes practice and constant adjusting of your set up depending on speed and depth of the water line drag etc.  the fine tuning is part of the fun of fishing.
--sounds to me you have the right attitude and real fishers should be willing to help you out.
--

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »

The setup doesnt define if the angler is flossing or snagging, the angler does. A typical setup can be used to floss or snag fish if the angler chooses even while short floating.
--I agree: have been fishing same rig as partner but as he was getting a better verticle drift he was not snagging the fish. As i was casting across him getting more swing with same rig I was starting to floss fish. I had to adjust my cast to get a better verticle drift. I of course let the flossed fish go and while it was using up valuable fishing time my partner caught two legit hooked fish

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 10:00:01 PM »

b) I am also ashamed to admit that I accidentally snagged 3

Don't let it bother you. With so many pinks in the river, it is bound to happen with even the best of intentions.

To avoid snagging pinks, one technique (that is certainly not foolproof) is to observe how your float submerges. If it eases under slowly, and/or on angle, then generally (sometimes, maybe) the fish has just brushed up against your leader and setting the hook is just asking for a snagged fish. If your float darts under quickly then generally (sometimes, maybe) the fish is on the bait. Now these aren't truisms but generally speaking it works.

The key however is the angler's tolerance for risk and ambiguity.  If you have a low tolerance you will set the hook at every dip of the float that you know isn't bottom. If you have a higher tolerance, and are tired of hauling in pinks sideways, you start to read what your float is telling you.

Another application of this technique is drifting little tufts of wool through the massed chums to get the the coho that are behind feeding on the loose eggs.

minsyoo

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 10:30:47 PM »

I'm going to try short floating with some yarn, I picked up a little packet of orange and red yarn, but what are you guys' recommendations as far as how to present the yarn?

I've never used yarn before and I'm not even sure where to put it..

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:57 PM »

Just insert a small tuft into the bait loop

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »

Don't let it bother you. With so many pinks in the river, it is bound to happen with even the best of intentions.

To avoid snagging pinks, one technique (that is certainly not foolproof) is to observe how your float submerges. If it eases under slowly, and/or on angle, then generally (sometimes, maybe) the fish has just brushed up against your leader and setting the hook is just asking for a snagged fish. If your float darts under quickly then generally (sometimes, maybe) the fish is on the bait. Now these aren't truisms but generally speaking it works.

The key however is the angler's tolerance for risk and ambiguity.  If you have a low tolerance you will set the hook at every dip of the float that you know isn't bottom. If you have a higher tolerance, and are tired of hauling in pinks sideways, you start to read what your float is telling you.

Another application of this technique is drifting little tufts of wool through the massed chums to get the the coho that are behind feeding on the loose eggs.
Thanks Clarki.  Unfortunately I am a 'low tolerance' fisherman and I will snap back the rod almost on reflex if I see the float go under for any reason. This could be one reason my wife sometimes out fishes me with this technique - she doesn't have quite my level of enthusiasm and will be slower on the strike, works in her favor I think :)  Its something I will have to learn with practice.

PS:  Your comment about coho feeding on the loose eggs is an interesting one.   Do salmon in rivers actively feed?  Thought they took mainly out of aggression when things pass sufficiently close by.

mr.p

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »

PS:  Your comment about coho feeding on the loose eggs is an interesting one.   Do salmon in rivers actively feed?  Thought they took mainly out of aggression when things pass sufficiently close by.

As far as I know, salmon stop feeding as soon as they hit freshwater.  Their stomachs shrink and make space from their eggs and milt sacs.
They will however take eggs out of instinct.  I believe it has something to do with increasing the chances of survival for their offspring.  Eliminating the competition.
As for lures, blades, etc....i think they strike those out of agression.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 07:37:28 PM »

As far as I know, salmon stop feeding as soon as they hit freshwater.  Their stomachs shrink and make space from their eggs and milt sacs.
They will however take eggs out of instinct.  I believe it has something to do with increasing the chances of survival for their offspring.  Eliminating the competition.
As for lures, blades, etc....i think they strike those out of agression.
Salmon do bite in freshwater, I have caught many migrating salmon on Dew worms and deli shrimps.  I find a small percentage of the run are active feeders hence we have bait bans. ;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »

Unfortunately I am a 'low tolerance' fisherman and I will snap back the rod almost on reflex if I see the float go under for any reason. This could be one reason my wife sometimes out fishes me with this technique

If you are indeed short floating up off the bottom, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. The key is to get your setup dialed in for the water water you are fishing such that you can be certain that any time your float does in fact go under it is due to a fish.

This is a great thread. Good on you fishseeker for not giving in and mimicking the fisherman beside you. The sad fact is that the vast majority of fishermen on the Vedder River fish in an incorrect manner.
Actions speak louder than words.

standalone

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »

short probably means 3 feet in Vedder.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »

If you are indeed short floating up off the bottom, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. The key is to get your setup dialed in for the water water you are fishing such that you can be certain that any time your float does in fact go under it is due to a fish.

This is a great thread. Good on you fishseeker for not giving in and mimicking the fisherman beside you. The sad fact is that the vast majority of fishermen on the Vedder River fish in an incorrect manner.
Yes I am quite surprised by the interest this has generated and it's been very informative.  I just think there is a very good reason to avoid snagging - I lose expensive gear when it happens [..and I don't like injuring fish more than I have to].  It just makes sense.

With luck I am going to be heading out again this Friday to see how I can do with this.  I think I am going to apply some of the techniques described here to make sure I do get a good handle on the depth before I start casting.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »

short probably means 3 feet in Vedder.

I haven't used over 2ft on the Vedder in years. Most of the time it is closer to 18 inches.

fishseeker, I should be out on the river on friday. If you shoot me an email we could meet up and I could point you in the right direction.
Actions speak louder than words.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 12:48:46 PM »

I haven't used over 2ft on the Vedder in years. Most of the time it is closer to 18 inches.

fishseeker, I should be out on the river on friday. If you shoot me an email we could meet up and I could point you in the right direction.

Done.  With luck it should possible to meet up depending on timing.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 10:30:26 PM »

ill be trying to catch my first ever coho on the fly in the canal tomorrow, if that doesn't work i will bring the pin out and do some short floating myself. see you guys on the flow and good luck!!