Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Vedder pinks, best presentation  (Read 11105 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Fishing Vedder pinks, best presentation
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »

Had the opportunity to hit the Lower Canal for two days in the last two weeks. Used  a boat and launched at Barrowton.  In about that time I realized that with all the pinks in there ,Big time. It was hard to get any Coho. But what would get the pinks bitting was something that had my interest too.

Best pink lure for my outings was half a pink worm on a leadhead jig. Killer and when I hit that combo and fished my wrist sore. Then I gave up to hit up a pub for some wings :)

Whats your KK (killer kombo)

One wild Coho jack sized fish was caught also.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Vedder pinks, best presentation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:57:24 PM »

for pinks basically anything pink,red,orange,green ...... well basically anything LOL trick is to have it riding eye level and they will munch on it usually. when it comes to flies, well, thats a different story all together.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »

I only fished flies for pinks in the Vedder. I was trying to avoid them by putting on my blue muddler to try and find some coho but they even took that........

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »

Pinks will bite just about anything.  But a 1/4oz jig head and a 2-3 inch curly tail pink grub is absolutely deadly.  There were many times this year on the Kitimat where you didnt even need to cast.  Just drop the jig in the water and a pink would grab it.  30-40 hookups in a couple hours were the norm almost everytime out.  

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:04:40 PM »

does anyone else start to find the pinks annoying after awhile ??? I mean i have been catching them since middle of July  ::) so im tired of catching them now, thank god they dont really like roe even though i have gotten 2 on the roe so far  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

UFC

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »

pink jigs is the answer in slow, clear water (i.e. Lower Vedder, Harrison). I use small pink plastic squid that I place on a jig head. In the Fraser I prefer pink/white spoons as visibiity makes it more difficult to catch them on the jigs. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »

Silver Colorado (hammered) size 3.5.
Made my own a new way (ALOT easier than split rings) and I would say it worked with over 40 fish to the beach on it.
Short floated ~16 inches deep up along the egde... float pushed right down to my weights, every once in a while stop the line from running out to make it flutter.
Also found it very effective to fish them under a float in a backwash reeling in very slow at a constant speed.

mr.p

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 10:40:59 PM »

does anyone else start to find the pinks annoying after awhile ??? I mean i have been catching them since middle of July  ::) so im tired of catching them now, thank god they dont really like roe even though i have gotten 2 on the roe so far  >:(

I second that.  I've been catching pinks for 2 months now.  I'd be happy not to catch another until 2011.
Vedder is infested with the ugly bastards.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 10:56:10 PM »

Well here we go again. People complaining about the pinks. This actually sickens me. Sockeye stocks at record lows, looks like the chum run from all indications are going to be low again, salmon stocks in general are all low other than the pinks. Maybe we should just open more fish farms to kill the pinks as well so that they are not infesting the Vedder. Is that what you want?

The pinks will be pretty much done in two weeks and you wont have to see them for two years. Dont like them in the Vedder? Than dont fish the Vedder and fish somewhere else....

Belong to the "4 F Club"

mr.p

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »

I fish the vedder for a chance at hooking big beautiful coho and battling brute springs. And steelies in the winter of course...
Most pinks in the vedder are far past their prime.  I love pink fishing early in the season. They are agressive and fun on light tackle.  But after two months of pinks pinks pinks...it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:05 PM »

I fish the vedder for a chance at hooking big beautiful coho and battling brute springs. And steelies in the winter of course...
Most pinks in the vedder are far past their prime.  I love pink fishing early in the season. They are agressive and fun on light tackle.  But after two months of pinks pinks pinks...it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

2 months? So you were catching them on the 3rd week of July? Most here have not been fishing them that long as on the Fraser they really only last about 3 weeks.

You must be young. You certainly dont see my perspective...My oldest is 13 years old, when he is 35 years old like me I think he would be lucky to catch just a few pinks.

I love the coho fishing more than any of the other salmon species. The coho fishing can last into December. Still lots of time to catch these fish. Just dont like hearing about people taking things for granted.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

mr.p

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 11:44:21 PM »

I am very appreciative of pinks.  My first ever salmon was a pink.  And they are what got me into sport fishing.  I can't think of another fish that is so plentiful yet provides such a fantastic fight on light tackle.  I am amazed that they seem to be thriving while most other species are in dire straits.  I understand their decomposing carcasses provide vital feed and nutrients for the other species in the rivers.  Pinks are great.

Alll I am saying is that i've had enough of them for this season.

And yes, 2 months exactly almost since my first outing for 09' pinks.  And have been catching them consistantly since the first week of August at Furry Creek.

jon5hill

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:07 PM »

Silver Colorado (hammered) size 3.5.
Made my own a new way (ALOT easier than split rings) and I would say it worked with over 40 fish to the beach on it.
Short floated ~16 inches deep up along the egde... float pushed right down to my weights, every once in a while stop the line from running out to make it flutter.
Also found it very effective to fish them under a float in a backwash reeling in very slow at a constant speed.

My killer rig is identical except I make mine with Indiana blades size 4, non hammered.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »

having the skill to target a specieies is most definatly a great ability, but isnt it about fishing? Thats what im in it for.the prized specicies is just a bonus. and those pinks in the canal for the most part are chrome and awsome fighters!!go pinks go man!! ;D ;D ;D ;D (specially on the fly)

Nibbles

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 01:30:17 AM »

I'll be heading to the vedder this friday to have a go at the pinks. I'll try some of the lures you guys suggested. Thanks. How do you get to the cannel? I usually park at Peach rd and start walking downstream. I love this river, don't care if there are pinks, chum, coho, or springs.